Neoo's Work in Progress thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Re: Neoo's Work in Progress thread

Post by Doug Armand » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:39 am

dag wrote:This thing should be a spherish shape or something with a badass gravity field in the center. How does gravity work in this thing anyway? Do they all just float around? No waterfalls then...
What about electricity, oxygen, water and food?
If people start getting kids in this thing, will they all starve to death when supplies run out?
Where do they get materials to build stuff in there?

I demand some answers!
With huge gravity magnets of course - hell its Sci-Fi anything goes :^)

But on a serious note shouldn't any large mass object in space have some form of gravity? and the larger the object the greater the gravity?.

And Neo's original concept was pretty big :)
Doug

Doug Armand

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 am

Who needs huge gravity magnets - as Neo's original concept is already about 70% the radius of the moon, I am sure there is at least some form of gravity, enough for everybody to become obese and still jump around like Super Mario...

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 am

polygonmanufaktur.de

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:51 am

dag wrote:This thing should be a spherish shape or something with a badass gravity field in the center. How does gravity work in this thing anyway? Do they all just float around? No waterfalls then...
What about electricity, oxygen, water and food?
If people start getting kids in this thing, will they all starve to death when supplies run out?
Where do they get materials to build stuff in there?

I demand some answers!
Hehe. Well, the answer would be "suspension of disbelief." Like doug says, anything goes. Gravity would come from the ship itself (maybe with a little artificial gravity thrown in.) Electricity would be from some huge nuclear power plant. Oxygen would come from some sort of machine that breaks down raw matter and reassembles it (like on star trek basically.) Same with food. Having farms to grow food would take up way too much space.

Hell, if you have a metal that won't collapse under it's own weight (trillions and trillions of tons), then what isn't possible. :)
Attachments
ship concept.jpg
Starting to create a rough concept in photoshop. Will do a side view as well.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 am

neo0. wrote:Having farms to grow food would take up way too much space.
I'm sure you could squeeze those in somewhere in the billions of square miles of space you've got there...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 am

StompinTom wrote:
I'm sure you could squeeze those in somewhere in the billions of square miles of space you've got there...
Probably but they are also very vulnerable to sabotage. What happens if you have a bug that gets into the crops? Or a new strain of virus? Or some discontent person who simply sets the farm on fire?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Someone must address these questions before the ship is build in the first place, neo0., or you are putting the population at too high of a risk. Or you skip those and design something plausible because you just merely scratched the surface of possible show-stoppers.

Space is hostile to humans, the backbone here is controlled environments. Automated greenhouses. Genetic labs. Medical surveillance. Mining, foundries, superstructures yards. Prospection, exploration. An energy source.

So far we've never built a world ;)
obsolete asset

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:22 pm

neo0. wrote:
StompinTom wrote:
Probably but they are also very vulnerable to sabotage. What happens if you have a bug that gets into the crops? Or a new strain of virus? Or some discontent person who simply sets the farm on fire?
I think human beings are very vulnerable to sabotage as well. Perhaps you should axe the passengers, in that case. They take up a lot of room, anyway, and have ridiculous needs.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:42 am

Low res mesh ~40% done
Attachments
low res.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Seems like I missed some interesting entries when I posted last. TBH I'll dive into nerdism straight away as I'm tired to hold myself back. However there are many points to talk about, I may throw them in great disorder. Some bits to chew:
dag wrote:This thing should be a spherish shape or something with a badass gravity field in the center.
My take as well, because
neo0. wrote:Hell, if you have a metal that won't collapse under it's own weight (trillions and trillions of tons), then what isn't possible.
I'd put energy plants and heavy factories in orbit, at a distance where a local disaster would merely affect the superstructure. Energy can efficiently be conduced through microwave beams straight to dedicated receptors, and a small amount diverted to control the orbits. Those plants should be able to dock into the superstructure after eventually being shut down, and even function there under extreme conditions (solar storms, dense fields, combat).

Hydrogen is 'quite' common in space an may be a good take for long (fusion reactors ala tokamak/EPR, see also MHD). However, as of today, the next thing to learn from anti-matter is wether it is also anti-gravitational by some ways. Since anti-matter can currently be stored efficiently in void for, say, a few hours by magnetic confinment I'd extrapolate and pretend that quantum physics will allow to flip measured amounts of matter into anti-matter at a reasonable cost, releasing the highest potentials available in the universe. Again, one "just" needs ultravoid and normal magnetic fields. Say, we will control this technology and therefore address the need for energy at once.

Outer levels dedicated to light industries, however hygroponics and food production in general should not be exposed to outer risks.

Middle decks for living and daily activities, command deck in the outer with emergency one near the core.

Note that oxygen is produced by vegetation, provided that there is water available. In last resort, nucleosynthesis can be used to create vital but missing elements.

PS: Now neo0. don't let me discourage you from your last design. I think it's neat, if you consider that it is part of a larger fleet. As we say here, better not put all your eggs into the same basket ;) Also don't forget to think bump mapping, shading etc !
obsolete asset

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:55 am

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 am

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:56 am