Neoo's Work in Progress thread

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
neo0.

Re: Neoo's Work in Progress thread

Post by neo0. » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I have never seen that those, purespider. But the resemblance is definitely very uncanny!

Some background on the project.. The ship will eventually be for a mod that I plan on doing (don't know which engine im using.) The backstory of the mod is basically about a zombie apocalypse except with one twist.. Well a few actually. It is set in the far future the government knows about it and roughly when it is going to happen (something to do with a secret nazi experiment gone wrong during ww2.) In the couple hundred years they have, they construct a giant ark to evacuate the population of the planet to. Well, most of it anyway. So, the ship is basically like an artificial world. Not only does it have to house 6+ billion people but it also has to protect them from the cold depths of space. In addition to the living space, there would also have to be space for water storage, oxygen production, etc.

The reason Im using one big ship is so that all the people won't feel separated. If you had to live in space for your whole life, you wouldn't want to feel cut off from everyone else. Plus, if you have lots of smaller ships, what happens if their is a disagreement and you get fighting? You could end up losing millions of people. So, the ship isn't just transporting people. It's essentially a home for billions.

The elevators really aren't as big as they look, but I can size them them down i think.
Attachments
elevator tube.jpg

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 pm

All I have to say is that when people start arguing and fighting in that thing, it's gonna be one hell of a party!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Well whats a party without a nuke turret? This will be incorporated into the mod's story (eventually.) This would be for removing debris like asteroids.
Attachments
nuke.jpg

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Update (Around 4400 polies at this point)
Attachments
ship5.jpg
ship6.jpg

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey that looks neat to this point!
Now texture it and add lots of little details to give it life!
Like windows for where the people on the ship live and such.

Silmä
2nd Place Winner

Post by Silmä » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 pm

It's still too big for any kind of meaningful detail. In the top view, the biggest building in the world (Dubai airport terminal 3 according to Wikipedia) would be less than one pixel large. It would blend in the noise. Bjur Kalifa (tallest building in the world) would also be less than one pixel tall, but it would also be so thin, it wouldn't effect the color of said pixel more than about 1 percent. An individual window would probably be completely ignored by Indigo as too small a detail.

More or less uniform gray is probably the most realistic color and texture for anything that big. The small green things and the small spiky things are definitely too large to be realistic in any way.

btw. in the other picture, Earth is way too big in comparison to the ship

edit: And to not to sound all too rude, it looks rather cool. But, it would look a lot better without the line telling how big it is. Without it, I would say it's probably about 1km long, and be happy with it.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:16 am

It's the big "wings" on the side that are detracting from the sense of scale i think.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 am

No, it's the "1200km"...
Did you even read what Silmä wrote?

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:15 pm

I find it difficult to understand why they would need a nuke 'turret'. I somehow doubt that they would use a dumbfire turret to fire such a highly advanced piece of equipment. It would be much safer and easier to use normal rocket silos instead.

Silmä
2nd Place Winner

Post by Silmä » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Lets do some math.

You say your ship has 6+ billion passengers. On average, lets assume every passenger needs 50 m2 of living space (wich is a lot. An average European has about 40 m2, an average Chinese living in a city closer to 10), and about same for all kinds of everyday business + some more for walls, corridors, elevators, and other spaces. So the living area would need about 1000 billion square meters of deck.

The bulk of your ship is about 1100 km long, the front end is about 250 km wide, and it's about 50 km thick. With average height of 4 meters per deck (which is more than enough for all those lower class people lucky to be aboard in the first place) you would have 12 500 decks on your ship (and that's the living area, of course the cargo halls would be bigger). When divided equally, that's about 80 million m2 of living space per deck. Sound's like a lot doesn't it?

Lets assume that all of the living space would be concentrated in the very front of the ship, so that there would be best views from those first class apartments and lower class people readily available for cleaning and cooking. With 250 km wide decks, your living area would only need to be 320 m long. That is, less than half a pixel in the top view...

I hope this helps you understand how ridiculously huge your spaceship really is.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm

SIlma, that is interesting to think about. Now that you put it like that, it does seem very very over sized I will admit it. Probably should scale it down. However one thing that I should probably mention is that it's not like a cruise ship, where each person is limited to a cabin of a certain size or something. The ship is going to be an artificial world of sorts (so, with cities, lakes, etc. on the inside) where everyone has the freedom to walk around and see things. After all, if someone is going to spend their entire life on a ship, I think they would want to be able to walk around.. So probably half the space would be non living space.

500 Km more reasonable maybe.

As far as the art goes, I am probably going to go for a more organic rounded look this time. I don't know. It seems like things that are hard edged just don't convey the same sense of scale that curved things do.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm

neo0. wrote:As far as the art goes, I am probably going to go for a more organic rounded look this time. I don't know. It seems like things that are hard edged just don't convey the same sense of scale that curved things do.
Untrue. Sense of scale doesn't have anything to do with the actual form of an object, we rather take cues from things whose size we know in comparison to the object.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Makes sense I guess. It's just that I realized that most gigantic ships in movies are usually shaped organically. Now whether this is a coincidence, I couldn't really say.

dag

Post by dag » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:17 pm

This thing should be a spherish shape or something with a badass gravity field in the center. How does gravity work in this thing anyway? Do they all just float around? No waterfalls then...
What about electricity, oxygen, water and food?
If people start getting kids in this thing, will they all starve to death when supplies run out?
Where do they get materials to build stuff in there?

I demand some answers!

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 am

lol Remind me never to make post a spaceship on an internet forum mostly read by supernerds

- It's a compliment. 8)

edit: Actually, I think my next render has one, but it will be above the level of human understanding in this universe.

126 posts