Ark (spaceship)

Get feedback from others on your works in progress
neo0.

Re: Ark (spaceship)

Post by neo0. » Tue May 24, 2011 10:37 am

Well, my chrome automatically translates web pages for me. :) I have no doubt that the energy requirements would be enormous.. such that convention methods of power generation wouldn't work. You would need the energy consumption of Russia or something for each day. Anti matter would the the most plausible solution. This best would be a challenge even with 500 years to construct it. You would need housing for all the workers and some place to hide it from public knowlege. Plus, imagine being the one who has to paint it.

BTW, this is a very old design. Im in the process of collecting reference material and plan to begin redesigning it.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue May 24, 2011 11:02 am

Ah, good point with the translator.

Thank you for the demonstration that time was relative ^^

e: I was wondering how to produce anti-matter at a rational cost, because harvesting some giant's atmosphere from the solar system may not be an option. That's not that I can answer the question of course, I was imagining inducing *virtual* potentials into a resonant vacuum chamber, then pulsing an alternative EM field to catch *potential* particles, each charge at one side of the cylinder. That would be heck of an experiment to caracterize the assymetry of matter !!! Woops, back to my SF movie...
obsolete asset

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Well what was proposed earlier were a small number of (much) smaller automated ships that would essentially function as both reactors and collectors. So, they could pick up matter from a planet's atmosphere, convert it to anti matter at a safe distance and then beam it back to the main ship via microwaves. Under dangerous conditions (like meteor showers) they would be docked and they could continue producing power.

I saw cargo (the beginning of it) and it was a neat concept. The idea that im going for is a tad different though. I want to be able to have 4-5 billion (plus population expansion) people live comfortably with plenty of extra room. The people in the space station in cargo didn't seem that comfortable. AFAIK, cargo was basically showing us what can happen when living in space becomes too crowded. If you were going to live on a ship for the rest of your life, it would have to be just like conditions back on earth.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue May 24, 2011 1:50 pm

neo0. wrote:BTW, this is a very old design. Im in the process of collecting reference material and plan to begin redesigning it.
Didn't we just go through this?

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue May 24, 2011 2:28 pm

StompinTom wrote:
neo0. wrote:BTW, this is a very old design. Im in the process of collecting reference material and plan to begin redesigning it.
Didn't we just go through this?
Yeah, but there were a whole bunch of issues. The model was messy. I wasn;t really too fond of the design either as it was very hard to add detail to it. Maybe this wasn't the easiest of projects for me to pick, given my modeling ability, but now that Ive started im determined to find the right look.

Here are the reference images that im gonna be using... All from concept ships.. I think the last one is going be the one that im gonna focus on the most. I really like the 3 hull design. It has a really sturdy look to it. Really armored on the outside, but basically like a city/cruise ship on the inside (basically to contrast the harshness of space.)
Attachments
jesse_02.jpg
spraynation_05.jpg
junji_okubo_02.jpg

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Wed May 25, 2011 9:08 am

Why don't you just learn to model properly?

It's not something to set aside learning, you have been here for so many years now, start to make some damn progress -.-

Get a hold of blender, and there is plenty of sides to learn how to model, I can tell that you are full of energy and never give up working, and that is a great skill to have if you put it to use in the right way.

I think if you really gave it a shot you can be 100 times better in a month than what you are now, it's all about understanding the basics and a few techniques, after that modeling is almost repetition.

Hope you take this advice, and not just ignore me :!:

kdarius

Post by kdarius » Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am

When i started in 3D I started out using blender. It was a great tool to learn on (one reason is because it is not really easy to use start off using so it forces you to think). That would be my suggestion. Sketchup is great but seems like you can only do so much editing geometry. I might be wrong on this subject because I have not really used sketchup.

Also with blender you can down harder computations like water simulations, particals, cloth, dynamics. Which I am not sure you can do with sketchup.

The blender community is a great one always will to help people out. I would check out
Blendernation.com
Blenderartist.com
Blender.org

good luck....

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu May 26, 2011 7:12 am

Why don't you just learn to model properly?
I may not be the best modeler out there but I dont think im actually that bad. The issue here i think is really just having a clear idea of what it is i want to model. If it's a real world object and I have a picture of it in front of me, then there is no problem (aside from my limited ability.)

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Thu May 26, 2011 10:01 am

Sometimes I wonder if you are a troll, since you just quoted that part of my post, if you take a read there is plenty of info there.
And why would it hurt to get better at modeling, I cant see why?

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Thu May 26, 2011 10:02 am

Please keep the discussion going here. There's really no point in having two threads for the same project. Thanks.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

55 posts