Megapixel limit?

For all Indigo users.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
benn

Megapixel limit?

Post by benn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Hey guys,

To keep the free version as useful as possible, what about a megapixel limit for renders? So you have a max of say 0.7mp renders using the free version. That way you could have images wider than 800 pixels if it's less than 600 pixels wide?

Good idea / lame idea?

Ben

SmartDen
Developer

Re: Megapixel limit?

Post by SmartDen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:28 pm

i think it's just fine resolution
Check normals, dude!

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:16 pm

benn wrote:Hey guys,

To keep the free version as useful as possible, what about a megapixel limit for renders? So you have a max of say 0.7mp renders using the free version. That way you could have images wider than 800 pixels if it's less than 600 pixels wide?

Good idea / lame idea?

Ben
I thinks it's a very good one since some ratios would be very small if they are bound to either width or height, if it's a mega pixel then the image can be as big as possible for whatever ratio it might have

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:16 pm

I love indigo, but this is a sad day in away for me! in the past I have used it for fun, I'm thinking of getting a job involving Architectural Visualization, but until then, the new indigo is off limits to me. Part of me says what is the point of making a free version if you can only render small images, I mean one may as well call it an unlimited trial version. People will be using it for finding out whether they like indigo enough to buy it, but for those who don't have the budget they will soon realise that 800 x 600 or 0.7 mgpxl is not enough and will move on to other free renderers.

I really like the system that Vue has got going at the moment. I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but I'm really tempted to by some of the mini chunks of the program that they have for sale (like increased rendersise and no watermark). If they didn't have these parts that you could buy then I would take one look at it and then decide that it was way too expensive. I'm sure that the pros will buy the full package, but they are the ones who would buy it anyway. I think that the same thing will happen with indigo. This will happen with Blender and Sketchup users the most. The pros will buy it, but people like me won't even be interested, especially when there are other free programs around. So something like the Vue system would be great for indigo, and I think that you can only increase the sales, not decrease. You could keep a lot of dedicated supporters this way!

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:04 am

kellpossible wrote: People will be using it for finding out whether they like indigo enough to buy it, but for those who don't have the budget they will soon realise that 800 x 600 or 0.7 mgpxl is not enough and will move on to other free renderers.
Valid point! You could raise size limit, include the watermark, and inlude hidden data inside the image to track down pictures made with the free version (b/c people would try to crop out the water mark)- that would be an alternative.
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

benn

Post by benn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:31 am

@eman thats a good idea - but steganography is a bit rude - having someone track all your images I think? I wouldn't like it if I knew indigo did that. :( also - we don't want to go through our lives emailing people angry letters saying 'YOU PAY NOW'.

@kellpossible i have thought about maybe having a 'pay per render' button in indigo - so you can pay maybe x€ for a huge big non-commercial render, and that would all count as a discount if you ever decided to buy indigo.

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:50 pm

benn wrote:@eman thats a good idea - but steganography is a bit rude - having someone track all your images I think? I wouldn't like it if I knew indigo did that. :( also - we don't want to go through our lives emailing people angry letters saying 'YOU PAY NOW'.
You dont have to :P only if pixar or someone big tries to play sneeky :P and the watermark is still there, its just in case people are maliciously trying to avoid payment - Kind of like how adobe automatically inserts their info into the meta data of an image - just so they know.

Say you didnt use the techniqe and just kept the small megapixel limit and water mark, - its not that hard to write a plug in for your render to export the camera facing diffrent parts of the scene, render them all, and then crop them together - and there would be little way to tell. If the tried that with a stenographic free version of indigo, at least you would know it! In that way you can be responsible developers instead of the riaa and just blowing it out your end :lol: :roll:

It seems optimal to me. I just think id be a shame to limit the awesome renders people make for free and fun.

also thanks for putting the name to it - can never remember that word.
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:16 pm

that sounds like a great idea to me! people doing big renders for fun will probably be willing to pay to get it printed as well! It all depends on the price I guess :roll:

But I still like the vue method more! :wink:

Eman, I think you have a good point there.

sk2k

Post by sk2k » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:55 am

How about this for the free version?

.up to 800x600 without a watermark
.above 800x600 with a watermark
.max. resolution 1024x768

MfG
sk2k

dominike

Post by dominike » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:12 pm

benn wrote:@eman thats a good idea - but steganography is a bit rude - having someone track all your images I think? I wouldn't like it if I knew indigo did that. :( also - we don't want to go through our lives emailing people angry letters saying 'YOU PAY NOW'.

@kellpossible i have thought about maybe having a 'pay per render' button in indigo - so you can pay maybe x€ for a huge big non-commercial render, and that would all count as a discount if you ever decided to buy indigo.
Hi ben
so how many megapixels are available with the license mode.

I seem to don't get a straight answer from no body.

Thanks

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm

dominike wrote: Hi ben
so how many megapixels are available with the license mode.

I seem to don't get a straight answer from no body.

Thanks
There is no fixed limit if you have purchased an Indigo License. The only limit is how much RAM your computer has.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1