A couple of questions about SDK 3.0.21

Discussion for users of the Indigo Renderer SDK.
subpixel
Developer

Re: A couple of questions about SDK 3.0.21

Post by subpixel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:28 am

Thank you very much for answers.

However your last clarification eludes my understanding. If from what I understand shutter is opened instatly at time 0.0 and instantly shut at 1.0, I see no way how would any keyframe prior to 0.0 or after 1.0 influence motion / image. Could you elaborate? Is there some bezier/hermite interpolation?
currently an Indigo instance can only render a single scene
What does it mean? Is it possible to create a scene render it, than change (let's say position of camera) and rerender it, without scene regeneration (ie mesh generation). Should Root node be discarded and reconnected to all previous nodes? When is scene memory released? What prevents from initializing scene twice?
[...] however doing this often can be slower than regenerating the scene
Would removing one child from N node scene take as much as adding N-1 nodes to an empty scene?

Again thanks a lot,
Cheers,

lycium

Post by lycium » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 am

That's exactly it, having keyframes before and after the starting and ending time establishes the instantaneous velocity at those moments.

Here's a highly professional diagram I drew with MS Paint last year illustrating the keyframes vs time situation:

lycium

Post by lycium » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:45 am

Updated post with a classy diagram.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:56 am

Thanks for nice diagram, I appreciate it ;)
Yet, my question is for different scenerio (sorry if I didn't clarify it enough):
The one where you'd definitively get keyframes at 0.0 and 1 (possibly some in between).
I'm going sampling the range route rather than fishing out keyframes route.
So in my scenario other keyframes couldn't influence the motion. Am I correct or is there something else I fail to see?

BTW. What is the interpolation formula for matrix? Is it linear?

lycium

Post by lycium » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

Ah, I see... in that case, Max should get the velocity right without problems (assuming the time interval is sufficiently well sampled).

Regarding matrix interpolation, typically the translation, rotation and scale components are separately interpolated (as normal scalars and vectors), then finally the constituent matrices are composed into the overall transformation matrix. It is indeed linear in Indigo.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:23 am

I'm glad it's all sorted out, my apologies about not being precise in first place.
Anyway, could you shed some light on other topics?

lycium

Post by lycium » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:30 am

subpixel wrote:
currently an Indigo instance can only render a single scene
What does it mean? Is it possible to create a scene render it, than change (let's say position of camera) and rerender it, without scene regeneration (ie mesh generation). Should Root node be discarded and reconnected to all previous nodes? When is scene memory released? What prevents from initializing scene twice?
You can change the scene it was initialised with as you like, but the renderer cannot be re-initialised with a different scene. The reason is probably something technical and likely to change in the future... we've thought about having multiple cameras, multiple renderers etc. and I suppose it'll happen eventually... but currently it's not the case, and we haven't made any plans to change it yet.
subpixel wrote:
[...] however doing this often can be slower than regenerating the scene
Would removing one child from N node scene take as much as adding N-1 nodes to an empty scene?
It would probably be faster to remove the one child from N nodes if there are other nodes that would need to be re-created from the empty scene. I don't think the removal function will be excessively slow, I just feel obliged to mention that it's O(N) and so removing N items is O(N^2).

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi guys,

how you doin?
Is there any chance to have some docs on the use of the scenegraph paradigm? Might u provide a very simple pseudo code to show how to update color of the emitter in the driver.cpp example or to bring a simple camera movement while keeping the renderer running?

Kindest regards and warmest wishes everyone!

Ric

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi Riccardo, all,

I'm glad to have access to this forum where I will be reading mostly, for I'm just scripting MEL. Well, MEL can wrap c++ but not me yet.
obsolete asset

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:49 am

Hey all,

A quick question about Indigo RT. What is registry key with install path?
Is it : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Glare Technologies\Indigo RT\InstallDirectory ?

Thanks,

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:36 am

subpixel wrote:Hey all,

A quick question about Indigo RT. What is registry key with install path?
Is it : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Glare Technologies\Indigo RT\InstallDirectory ?

Thanks,
Correct :)

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 am

Hey,

Is there a way to manage light layers during rendering using SDK like in Indigo standalone? Can't find an appropriate class (maybe except LayerSettings). Could someone elaborate on such class/workflow?

Thanks,

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 am

Hey,

While implementing a background management into IndigoMax I've ran on a couple of errors / possibly bugs.

1. Sum material xml output looks like this

Code: Select all

<sum>
	<mat>
		<mat_uid>7</mat_uid>
	<weight>
		<constant>
		</constant>
	</weight>
	</mat>
	<mat>
		<mat_uid>8</mat_uid>
	<weight>
		<constant>
		</constant>
	</weight>
	</mat>
	<weight>
		<constant>
		</constant>
	</weight>
	<weight>
		<constant>
		</constant>
	</weight>
</sum>
Obviously the last two weights are reduntant. I've double checked and weights vector contains only two items, so it seems an output bug. It doesn't affect scene generation, so it's a minor issue

2. Setting a texture parameter for background material emission (simple diffuse or sum) will crash program after renderer->startRendering() without any warning. Note: root gets finalized and renderer was initialized with scene properly. However, the scene exported with: writeToXMLFileOnDisk method will render properly with Indigo standalone. This is a major error. Any ideas or pointers?

3. There's a number of errors with writeToXMLFileOnDisk for scenes that render properly with IndigoSDK
  • materials defined in sphere node don't get proper UIDs
  • mesh element name defaults to "Mesh", which generates scene parsing error. I believe it might be a historical issue, yet now I see no reason why duplicate mesh name (with unique IDs) would generate any error - it's kind of decoration as I see it. If for any reason keeping mesh name unique is crucial, I would suggest setting it to mesh external file name, if it wasn't explicitly defined. BTW what is the algorithm for mesh filename generation?
  • floating point localization error. Scene exported on same system cannot be parsed by Indigo standalone using numeric loacalization. My workaround is setting numeric locale before export with setlocale( LC_NUMERIC, "english" ); This matter should be addressed either in SDK or Indigo standalone, so scene could be properly parsed on same system (preferably on all systems)
4. Could anyone answer earlier question? Is it possible to adjust light layers with IndigoSDK while rendering?

Thank a lot,

28 posts