Page 1 of 2

ferns

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:04 am
by fenerolina
Hi everyone!

I've just uploaded a fern leaf material. So now you can make, with a bit of organisation, beautifull green pictures like these:
Hope you like..

Re: ferns

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:40 am
by galinette
These are renders???

Etienne

Re: ferns

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:53 am
by fenerolina
Yes they are! I knew you'd like it.
Notice the second one is a bit noisy and has some fireflys. Sorry for the noob question but how can I upload a bigger image for you to click on it and watch it full size.

Re: ferns

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:58 am
by zeitmeister
This is stunning, fenerolina!

Re: ferns

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 am
by Polinalkrimizei
Yes it is, thanks for sharing!
Your preview-pictures look photo-real, I wish I could see those in the matDb. Benn?

Re: ferns

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 am
by OnoSendai
Very nice material.
My only suggestion would be to add <step_blend>true</step_blend> to your blend materials. This will get rid of the fireflies.

Re: ferns

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 pm
by zeitmeister
... but "step blend" kills gradients in blend maps, doesn't it?
Well, if provided.

Re: ferns

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am
by Soup
It will kill gradients, but that shouldn't matter on a material like this - so long as the blend map is high enough res

Re: ferns

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:19 am
by OnoSendai
zeitmeister wrote:... but "step blend" kills gradients in blend maps, doesn't it?
Well, if provided.
Correct, it makes the material either completely transparent or completely opaque, depending on the value of the blend map. Which can be good, because it gets rid of fireflies due to partial transparency :)

Re: ferns

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:29 am
by CTZn
Also step_blend has the advantage to borrow (filter) pixels at the B/W interface, wich is a nice and sometimes usefull (ie: fonts) effect.

Bravo fenerolina !

Re: ferns

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:55 am
by zeitmeister
Thanks for the info!

Re: ferns

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 am
by fenerolina
I'm very glad you like it! :D
I'm afraid I don't understand when Ono says "add <step_blend>true</step_blend> to your blend materials" I know I have a lot of lacks in texturing, but could somebody explain it for me in more details?
Thank you.

Re: ferns

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:27 am
by PureSpider
Step blend is: "Everything below 50% white in the texture becomes 0% white (black) while everything above 50% white becomes 100% white"
That way gradients are killed but the rendering is more "efficent".

Re: ferns

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 am
by fenerolina
Thank you Purespider!
:oops: but my noobish question is where do I have to input this value in the texture?

Re: ferns

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 pm
by galinette
In that case, I think fenerolina wanted to achieve a semi-transluescent material, by blending a diffuser and a diffuse transmitter. I do not think you can do the same with step blend

Etienne