Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
fbrunell

Re: Don't upload copyrighted material, unless you're allowed

Post by fbrunell » Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Ok, I tough I was fresh but I goofed :oops:

Just seen this post (the day after I posted the cast iron textures). Could you please remove the following textures since I used the CGTexture.com textures and did not realized about redistribution restrictions.

CAST IRON
POLISHED CAST IRON
VERY POLISHED CAST IRON

Sorry about the trouble.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Thu May 06, 2010 12:32 pm

fbrunell wrote:Ok, I tough I was fresh but I goofed :oops:

Just seen this post (the day after I posted the cast iron textures). Could you please remove the following textures since I used the CGTexture.com textures and did not realized about redistribution restrictions.

CAST IRON
POLISHED CAST IRON
VERY POLISHED CAST IRON

Sorry about the trouble.
Hey guys, grab those while they're hot! Good stuff I tell you! ;)

dag

Post by dag » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:31 am

Rules are made to be broken, right?
Include a 3d model with the pigm (if that's possible), and "customize" the texture for it.

benn

Post by benn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:16 am

We tried to talk to the cg textures guy to see if we could come to some kind of agreement or whatever, especially since Indigo materials are a physical representation of the texture, not just a copy of the jpeg - but he would not talk to us about it, which is sad.

It's sad about cgtextures - but there are many other texture sites with licencing that are compatible with the Indigo Renderer materials (which are creative commons licenced)...

http://delicious.com/popular/textures

sfb

Post by sfb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:49 am

hey guys!
it's a while since the last reply was added. after i read most of your messages i asked myself: what about the pictures i can find on sites like tiles manufacturers? some of them have hi-res pics as previews of their tiles or furniture or what ever. is it legal to use and upload them (packed as *.pigm) after i created a bump and exponant map? ...cause these sites don't say a word about "selling" or "redistributing".
the question is, i'm not the owner of the picture/origin.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 pm

That's a good question. Most likely there is a legal announce somewhere, like "all the material in the site etc...".

My personal attitude would be to check for this first, and if there is no legal mention I'd take granted that I am free to use stuff. I would credit the manufacturer and name the model if asked.
obsolete asset

trutextures

Post by trutextures » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:52 pm

psor wrote:
zeitmeister wrote: in the material description would do it?
It won't be enough as you're distributing a zip file aka .pigm which will not include the
needed information. This might be the biggest issue. So you have to add the text to the pigm
manually and then you should be fine. ;o))

take care
psor
I have had some experience with CG Textures myself with this issue some years ago, he is very on the ball with copyright violations.
Many years ago his User License was not visible unless you went looking for it in the "About" tab and as his advertising emphasised "Free Textures" (at that time) the amount of people who took that to mean "Free to do what you wish" was alarming. I was one of them.

Since then, his license has been tightened and extended over time as people read between the lines and tried to justify using them in violation of their intended usage and yet the poor guy still has to contact websites and issue DMCA take down orders.

His User License, is how mine (And the vast majority of texture selling websites) User License reads.

You can use and distribute meshes and models that have been textured with CG Textures files, but if the textures are packaged up so that the end user has direct access to them, then it's a 'no go' for what should be obvious reasons.

Think about it from a business POV;
He makes a living from selling access to his texture library.
If he allows others to redistribute them as textures or packaged up in mesh/models were the end user can gain direct access to those textures, then it has a direct negative impact on his business.

You can read between the lines of the User License all you like but if you think about it from his POV it makes sense he wouldn't want redistribution of his textures "as textures" edited or not, commercially or freely.

Redistribution is redistribution regardless of whether someone is selling or sharing them.

trutextures

Post by trutextures » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:37 am

sfb wrote:hey guys!
it's a while since the last reply was added. after i read most of your messages i asked myself: what about the pictures i can find on sites like tiles manufacturers? some of them have hi-res pics as previews of their tiles or furniture or what ever. is it legal to use and upload them (packed as *.pigm) after i created a bump and exponant map? ...cause these sites don't say a word about "selling" or "redistributing".
the question is, i'm not the owner of the picture/origin.
I used to think that way many years ago. I once used a photo of a door knocker I found on "Google Images" which I edited and used as a derivative component with a seamless game texture I made.

Someone sourced that image and it turned out to belong to some person on Flikr.com, just an average guy who liked photography.

That person contacted me and demanded $200.00 as I did not ask permission to use it. So I paid.

And THAT'S the key. If in doubt, regardless of where the image comes from ask or else don't bother!

23 posts