Page 1 of 2
How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:37 am
by delle
Hi I'm trying to create a good Brass which in vastly used in Architecture.
Following the "Stainless steel material" (introduced by Whaat) I've tryied to blend the two NK file ("cu.nk" and "Zncdte0.nk") but the result was no good

What i get is a lighter copper but still a copper....
On the Web there is no sign of a Brass NK file...
Someone has an idea?
Is there a "phisical solution" (in Indigo) to my problem or I have to
"fake" the brass material?
Bye
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:06 am
by OnoSendai
Well, there's a blend, as you said, apart from that there's no current solution apart from trying to pick the specular reflectivity colour yourself.
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:59 am
by psor
@delle
I recommend to use
rgb2nk kindly provided by tinman, developer of
renderlight. You'll enjoy it for sure!
GUI of the little yet powerful program.
And don't tell me it's like faking, just use it and stop thinking about it.

For the sake of it I'll attach two zipped .nk files as example. Enjoy!

- Just a quick example feel free to create your own.
- brass_(light+dark)_EXAMPLE_by_psor.jpg (120.97 KiB) Viewed 8866 times
take care
psor
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:13 pm
by Borgleader
that is pretty fecking cool

Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:14 pm
by pixie
I wonder if Specular Reflectivity could be used to achieve the same affect
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:48 pm
by psor
pixie wrote:I wonder if Specular Reflectivity could be used to achieve the same affect
Of course it is!
take care
psor
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:21 pm
by delle
This is what I've got adding some gold to the "alloy".
This Material has 25% of gold inside (in effect it is a little bit expensive as brass

)
EDIT Material composition: 25% Gold, 50% Copper and 25 % Zinc
Code: Select all
<material>
<name>Material_11_ALLOY1_LAYER0</name>
<phong>
<nk_data>nkdata\cu.nk</nk_data>
<exponent><constant>200</constant></exponent>
</phong>
</material>
<material>
<name>Material_11_ALLOY1_LAYER1</name>
<phong>
<nk_data>nkdata\Zncdte0.nk</nk_data>
<exponent><constant>200</constant></exponent>
</phong>
</material>
<material>
<name>Material_11_ALLOY1</name>
<blend>
<a_name>Material_11_ALLOY1_LAYER0</a_name>
<b_name>Material_11_ALLOY1_LAYER1</b_name>
<blend>
<constant>0.333333</constant>
</blend>
<step_blend>false</step_blend>
</blend>
</material>
<material>
<name>Material_11_LAYER2</name>
<phong>
<nk_data>nkdata\au.nk</nk_data>
<exponent><constant>200</constant></exponent>
</phong>
</material>
<material>
<name>previewmaterial</name>
<blend>
<a_name>Material_11_ALLOY1</a_name>
<b_name>Material_11_LAYER2</b_name>
<blend>
<constant>0.250000</constant>
</blend>
<step_blend>false</step_blend>
</blend>
</material>
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:40 pm
by delle
I've changed a little bit the composition of the Alloy, now it is:
Gold 25%, Copper 63%, Zinc 12%
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:50 pm
by Doug Armand
delle wrote:I've changed a little bit the composition of the Alloy, now it is:
Gold 25%, Copper 63%, Zinc 12%
Thats looking really good.
I've been playing around with similar combo. This is my latest. It really depends on quite what kind of brass effect your after as it can vary a lot.
its a mix of mix of Copper,Zinc,ChromiumSilicide and Gold to try and achieve a light brass material
btw for those interested its been uploaded and is called 'Brass_uing_Copper_Zinc_ChromiumSilicide_Gold'
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:08 am
by delle
New Values:
Gold 18%, Copper 70% and Zinc 12%
Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 am
by Doug Armand
Nice work. I think yours is the more 'brassy'

Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:05 am
by delle
Doug Armand wrote:Nice work. I think yours is the more 'brassy'

Thank you Doug, I'm doing some new test in order to get different brass flavors (e.g. Red brass).
Stay tuned...

Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:42 am
by Doug Armand
delle wrote:Doug Armand wrote:Nice work. I think yours is the more 'brassy'

Thank you Doug, I'm doing some new test in order to get different brass flavors (e.g. Red brass).
Stay tuned...

Cool - don't forget to upload them to the Material database

Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:15 am
by delle
Doug Armand wrote:delle wrote:Doug Armand wrote:Nice work. I think yours is the more 'brassy'

Thank you Doug, I'm doing some new test in order to get different brass flavors (e.g. Red brass).
Stay tuned...

Cool - don't forget to upload them to the Material database

Done

Re: How to create an Alloy? (e.g. 65% Copper+35 % Zinc = Brass)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:24 am
by delle
New Test: Gold 5%, Copper 62%, Zinc 33%