Help creating displacement map

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Bosseye

Help creating displacement map

Post by Bosseye » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:03 am

Hi all!

As I can't use all the lovely v4 textures (still on v3), I'm trying to create one of my own in photoshop. A herringbone parquet floor.

Need help with my displacement map, what am I doing wrong? I made this by tracing black lines over the texture image. I've also tried version messing around with levels/contrast etc of the texture image to create a black and white version, but nothing works.

See the images below. No matter what I do I end up with a really uneven map, even though the file is just black and white. If I use photoshop to blur the lines then it is smoother, but doesn't look anything like parquet flooring!

I''m using Sketchup. I've got subdivision in the active mesh set to 9.

Thanks in advance!
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Eneen

Re: Help creating displacement map

Post by Eneen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:28 am

I think it's not efficient to use displacement for tiles, better is to model them. It will take lot less ram and rendering will be faster.

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 am

Thanks for the reply! I can't believe that though, the point of maps is to remove the need to model actual geometry. If I can't get this to work then yes, I'll have to model a number of parquet tiles and then duplicate around but that will take a little while, especially where I have to trim the components to but up against the carpet etc.

My map, displacement doesn't appear to be happening in line with the black/white data in the image. Its uneven when the map isn't.

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 am

I suppose you need 2-4mm space between and 1-2mm chamfer. If tile is 5-7cm you can calculate yourself how dense subdivide should be to create required result... Subdivide doesn't guess where tile is flat and doesn't optimize mesh. It just subdivides :)

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 am

with flooring like this you shouldn't need actual displacement, just use your texture as a bump map and you will get more realistic results. displacement is more often used for larger details and where you need to see that the actual geometry is displaced. fine cracks in the floor won't require this.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1