help creating a shaded material

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
bubs
2nd Place Winner

Re: help creating a shaded material

Post by bubs » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:57 pm

HA! I just did the same. There is only a small difference, it's hard to see, but if you flick between these 2 you can see that the image with gamma 1.0 has more chrome material... but the point of transition seems to be centred, which it probably should be with this map.

If you check the 'smooth' however, the gamma change seems to make no difference

Either way, I think the material is pretty close to the reference image!
Attachments
gamma_1.0.jpg
gamma_2.2.jpg

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 am

You are both right and wrong...

When you do a linear black>white gradient in PS, it creates RGB values linearly mapped between 0 and 255. Whatever the gamma setting in PS is (in fact, PS, as most image software, work in gamma space without knowing anything about gamma), if your gradient is 256 pixels wide, the RGB value will increment by 1 at each pixel.

This means that the gradient is non linear in luminance space (ie physical space, linear space) but since the gamma=2.2 is somewhat matching the non linear nature of human vision, you feel that the gradient is linear... A photoshop mistake is roughly compensated by the human vision at the end.

Exception : if photoshop is in 32bit/channel mode, then it works in linear space. Just try making a gradient in 32bit mode : it will produce different results than creating a gradient in 8bit and converting to 32bit!

Back to Indigo : for linear gradient values between 0 and 255, if you use a gamma of 1.0, Indigo will produce linear values between 0.0 and 1.0 (simple division by 255). But if you use a gamma of 2.2, indigo will produce a non linear gradient.

Conclusion:
- Linear 8bit gradient used for blending : using gamma=1.0 will produce linear blending
- Linear 8bit gradient used for displacement : using gamma=1.0 will produce linear displacement
- Linear 8bit gradient used for color (diffuse, ...) : using gamma=2.2 will produce a perceptually linear gradient as you will generally expect (but a non linear reflectance curve)
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:16 am

*ahem*... OK... :shock: I feel a bit simple now... :lol:

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:17 am

bubs wrote:HA! I just did the same. There is only a small difference, it's hard to see, but if you flick between these 2 you can see that the image with gamma 1.0 has more chrome material... but the point of transition seems to be centred, which it probably should be with this map.

In fact, gamma=1.0 gives the exact same amount of chrome and glass. But since reflectance of chrome is high, and of glass is low, the chrome "eats" the visual impression.
Eclat-Digital Research

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 am

bubs wrote:HA! I just did the same. There is only a small difference, it's hard to see, but if you flick between these 2 you can see that the image with gamma 1.0 has more chrome material... but the point of transition seems to be centred, which it probably should be with this map.

If you check the 'smooth' however, the gamma change seems to make no difference

Nice stuff, but almost impossible to manufacture at reasonable cost. An industrial design would use a serigraphied chrome layer, using variable size dots for the transition between glass and chrome.
Eclat-Digital Research

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:20 am

elDiego, galinette says you are not allowed to use your material, it is too expensive! :lol:

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 am

Fascinating stuff guys. :shock:

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:47 am

galinette wrote:In fact, gamma=1.0 gives the exact same amount of chrome and glass. But since reflectance of chrome is high, and of glass is low, the chrome "eats" the visual impression.
That's actually what I meant... I was trying to say that the gamma 1.0 had more chrome than the 2.2 version, not more chrome than glass. Sorry that wasn't very clear.

elDiego

Post by elDiego » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:14 am

Thanks guys! I'm glad that i generated this discussion.

I know that in real life it would probably be a layer of dots that fade. but good luck doing that in sketchup.
it could also just be spray mirror paint on the surface (which would look more like the indigo render.
I still think theres a white shade in between the 2 materials, I will try to play with the shade and the gamma.

did you notes it that fireflies are going crazy on my shaded material. do you think thta has to do with the gama? do you have any other times on that?

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:11 am

elDiego wrote: I know that in real life it would probably be a layer of dots that fade. but good luck doing that in sketchup.
Nothing related to sketchup! All you need is a blend texture which has some dots instead of a gradient.

Such as this one which was made for a real-life glass serigraphy:
printing.png
Also, besides being more manufacturable, using a black/white serigraphy instead of a gradient would allow you to use the "force step" blend material option, which would likely answer your second question about fireflies :)
Eclat-Digital Research

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:20 am

This one should be OK for you :)

Don't forget to activate "step" in blend material

Etienne
Attachments
serigraphy2.png
Eclat-Digital Research

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:26 am

elDiego wrote:did you notes it that fireflies are going crazy on my shaded material. do you think that has to do with the gamma? do you have any other times on that?
I recently rendered gold graded bottle for a customer and found that MLT with a very high value of "Large mutation Prob." of 0.95 worked best! Also a SSS factor of 3 helps a lot!

Great "trick" with the doted gradient galinette, will need to check that out!
polygonmanufaktur.de

elDiego

Post by elDiego » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:35 am

Thank you again guys, i'll try with the serigraphy

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:00 am

galinette wrote:This one should be OK for you
Great! this looks fantastic! You get that wonderful distortion of the light due to the dots.

I have to find some excuse to use this material now! :lol:
Attachments
Chome Plated Glass.pigm
(32.73 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Chome Plated Glass.jpg

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:33 am

Nice Trick with the dotmap.
Activating step blend renders faster and cleaner.
Very cool!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

30 posts