Old Parquet -Point de hongrie-

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
elDiego

Old Parquet -Point de hongrie-

Post by elDiego » Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 pm

hi everyone, I'm kinda new to indigo, and with the lack of experience I have. I've been messing around with existing materials to get this old french parquet I'm trying to achieve.
with not so much luck, I'm posting my result here to see if anyone have any tips or help on this subject.
I've tried two different materials: one is herringbone and the other is point de hongrie (don't know the English name for this kind)
thanks!
Attachments
parquet-heringbon.pigm
test material 02
(1018.54 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
point_de_hongrie_05.pigm
test material 01
(711.61 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
test-02.jpg
what i'm getting
test-01.jpg
what i'm getting
photo-parquet-1317563909.jpg
example of what i'm trying to achieve
photo-parquet-1305476162.jpg
example of what i'm trying to achieve

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Old Parquet -Point de hongrie-

Post by Zom-B » Thu May 29, 2014 12:49 am

Good texture maps are important for good results, the one you are using are low res or not well defined...
Its like asking why your shabby car doesn't hit 220km on the open road.... well its not a well designed spots car!
Check out this free pack for a good start: http://www.viz-people.com/portfolio/fre ... -textures/

For such floors you'll need to map the fresnel scale too. By doing so you define the areas of the material that do reflect (white) and don't reflect (black). the grooves between the floor tiles should be black for example, scratches in the material darker too, since reflective surface is damaged here too! But beware to have a not to strong contrast in this map, since the result is quite sensitive :)

Your Bump values are way to strong! the B value is measured in meters, so a value of 0.001 is 1mm.
A bump of 0.002 should be strong enough!

To archive the look you aim for it maybe also needed to tweak the control maps (exponent, bump & fresnel) in Photoshop or Gimp, since the textures are maybe aiming to some other look that the artists who made them had in mind!

Keep up experimenting, since this is a important step if you are new to a renderer to get the feeling for (texture based) controls.
Post updates and feel free to ask for further advice once you stuck in progress :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Re: Old Parquet -Point de hongrie-

Post by zeitmeister » Fri May 30, 2014 1:27 am

So you would put the specmap into both slots, fresnel scale and exponent? Or do you use different maps for these? I always ran with putting the specmap into the exponent slot...

Grüsse, zeiti
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

3 posts • Page 1 of 1