Page 1 of 2

Terrain shader

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:15 am
by wlf_alex
Hola !

Using terrain mask in C4D you can make a shader which allows creation of very realistic landscapes (see example) :

Image
(test scene made by c4d-jack : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1015166 )

Is it possible to make similar material in Indigo (Cindigo) ? Convert materials function does not give satisfying results :-(

Image

regards

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:51 am
by fused
Hi wlf_alex,

C4D shaders are ony supported via baking to texture and may not always give perfect results.

You could bake the shaders onto the object, which should give you better results.

Cheers!

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 am
by wlf_alex
fused wrote:Hi wlf_alex,

C4D shaders are ony supported via baking to texture and may not always give perfect results.

You could bake the shaders onto the object, which should give you better results.

Cheers!
same shit :(
Image

if I understand correctly it must be a shader on the similarity "snow cover rough"..

Terrain shader

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:12 am
by zeitmeister
If C4D says "remapping groups" during baking process it should work.
Did you bake the texture or the object?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am
by wlf_alex
zeitmeister wrote:If C4D says "remapping groups" during baking process it should work.
Did you bake the texture or the object?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I did both..

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 am
by Zom-B
wlf_alex wrote:same shit :(
Why not adjust shaders my hand?! bump and displacement scale need adjustment for such a big scaling scene.
How about raising baking resolution of the material from the default 1024x1024.

Material auto converting via Plugin is always just a start, no final solution :roll:

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:23 am
by wlf_alex
Zom-B wrote:
wlf_alex wrote:same shit :(
Why not adjust shaders my hand?! bump and displacement scale need adjustment for such a big scaling scene.
How about raising baking resolution of the material from the default 1024x1024.

Material auto converting via Plugin is always just a start, no final solution :roll:
The value of the resolution is 2048x2048 pixels baking. But the problem is not that. In the original scene Jack uses the "terrain mask" to create the shader. Indigo does not have these tools. Only material "snow cover rough" ( http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/725 ) is slightly similar to the "terrain mask". But I do not know Japanese (ISL), so asked for help from the super people. :)

Terrain shader

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:56 pm
by zeitmeister
If you could send me the C4D-file I'll give it a try!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm
by wlf_alex
zeitmeister wrote:If you could send me the C4D-file I'll give it a try!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, zeitmeyster !
Thanks for the reply.
here's the complete scene file http://www.c4d-jack.de/darkside/Terrain_Test_R13.rar (29.3 MB)
(from CG forum : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1015166)

regards

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:38 am
by FakeShamus
wlf_alex wrote:Only material "snow cover rough" ( http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/725 ) is slightly similar to the "terrain mask". But I do not know Japanese (ISL), so asked for help from the super people. :)
There are some notes in the ISL code that I added which should make it clear how to tweak the color and amount of coverage for that material. You dont really need to know all the ISL, just what numbers to tweak. I also made a version which uses the same concept but applies it to a blend material, so you could set up, for example, a rock material and a foliage material and blend them based on the slope of your terrain. I will try and upload that soon.

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:09 am
by wlf_alex
FakeShamus wrote:
wlf_alex wrote:Only material "snow cover rough" ( http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/725 ) is slightly similar to the "terrain mask". But I do not know Japanese (ISL), so asked for help from the super people. :)
There are some notes in the ISL code that I added which should make it clear how to tweak the color and amount of coverage for that material. You dont really need to know all the ISL, just what numbers to tweak. I also made a version which uses the same concept but applies it to a blend material, so you could set up, for example, a rock material and a foliage material and blend them based on the slope of your terrain. I will try and upload that soon.
Thanks for the reply FakeShamus !
It will be interesting to play with your new material. Ono is already testing a new fractal type. :shock:
I look forward to the results.
Thanks a lot, guys.

regards..

Terrain shader

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm
by zeitmeister
Okay.
Indigo can't "bake" any procedural shaders which modes are anything but "Texture (UV)". The other modes like world or object are being transformed to UV during export.
The Terrain Mask Shader isn't UV-based, so this won't work here.
I would recommend to bake only the terrain mask shader in greyscale on a lowpoly version of the terrain mesh and transport the resulting UV via VAMP to the highpoly terrain mesh.
After that you can use this greyscale texture in the original terrain shader instead of the terrain mask shader.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 am
by FakeShamus
here's the blend version of the snow cover material: http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1132
easy enough to replace the 2 materials I have in there now with your own ground/rock and some sort of green vegetation instead of the snow. this is very basic, though - I would live to see some real procedural terrain shaders built into Indigo, with easy to use parameters.

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 am
by OnoSendai
FakeShamus wrote:here's the blend version of the snow cover material: http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1132
easy enough to replace the 2 materials I have in there now with your own ground/rock and some sort of green vegetation instead of the snow. this is very basic, though - I would live to see some real procedural terrain shaders built into Indigo, with easy to use parameters.
Hi FakeShamus, you may have seen the multifractal terrain render I posted in the simple renderings thread.
The tricky thing about writing terrain shaders is that it is difficult and slow to do erosion, which is a major factor in real terrain.

Re: Terrain shader

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:12 am
by FakeShamus
hey Ono,
yeah the multifractal is looking really good. having used terragen quite a lot to do mountains I know how slow it can be. I usually use their "alpine" fractal, which must have some erosion built in.

here's another material I was just testing out, using the same blend concept, but with a sort of mossy cover to it:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1133