Coated glass models - SGG/Glare development

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
saint-gobain-glass

Post by saint-gobain-glass » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:30 am

Dear Indigo users,

During these last two years, Saint-Gobain Glass R&D worked with Glare on architectural coated glass rendering. We developed specific proprietary material models to provide an exact description of the complex interactions between the coating and the glass.

You can find example images of one coating below.

We will release these materials very soon, so that Indigo users may render glass buildings with extremely realistic coating models. They will contain a proprietary encrypted model of the glass spectral response.

Best regards,

Etienne Sandré-Chardonnal
Saint-Gobain Recherche
Attachments
SGG Cool-Lite SKN 165.png
SGG Cool-Lite SKN 165 - Material preview
SKN165-plazza-closeup.jpg
SGG Cool-Lite SKN 165 in double glazing
SKN165-plazza-distance.jpg
SKN165-glasskubus30.jpg

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Re: Coated glass models - SGG/Glare development

Post by StompinTom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:21 am

Looks awesome! Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 am

Excellent news! Thank You so much for your involvement in this!

SaphireS
Indigo 100

Post by SaphireS » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:24 am

Looks awesome!
Your ad here!

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:07 am

Cool! The coating looks great. Thank you for sharing. 8)

Cato

Post by Cato » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 am

Wow! Very cool!

saint-gobain-glass

Post by saint-gobain-glass » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Please find below the link to the first material:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1069

How to make a correct SKN 165 window model:
The product must be assembled in a double glazing unit configuration. This consists in two glass pane of thicknesses ranging from 6mm to 10mm. The two panes are separated by a gas space of generally 15-16mm (Argon gas, but can be modelled as air).

The two glass panes are applied the SGG Planilux material found here : http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1026.

The coated glass material must be applied to the side of the outer pane facing the gas space. This is very important to achieve proper colors, as the product color have been designed for this configuration. This breaks the classical rule "the specular material must be applied to all faces of a closed shape", but still works perfectly as both materials (Planilux and SKN165) share the same medium (as the coating is deposited on a Planilux base glass)

Last, and very important to make everything work, you must delete the "sgg-planilux" from the material file, and ensure that the Planilux igm is included before in the scene. This is because indigo is currently not accepting a medium being redefined, without unpredictable behavior. This issue has been adressed to glare and should be corrected soon to ensure much easier integration of these complex materials.

Awaiting your feedback before uploading more coatings!

Best regards,

Etienne

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:07 am

I'm too dumb for that description.
Could you please upload a simple drawing with arrows and selections and material names and such? :-))

Thank you very very much in advance!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 am

Before you got what you asked for zeitmeister, I'll risk a reformulation:

Given a double pane window system with a gap between each pane, the coating must be applied onto the one face facing the other pane. The 5 other faces of each pane are expected to have the Planilux (uncoated) material applied.

Now, both materials (Saint-Gobain Glass Planilux and Saint-Gobain Glass Cool-Lite SKN 165) are sharing the same medium wich is fine (the coating is lying onto the surface of the material, the medium is therefore "independent" from the coating effect); however it will come defined twice in Indigo, once per material imported/linked. This is currently leading to unpredictable results and only the first declared instance of the medium called sgg-planilux should be present in the IGS file, requiring a manual operation after the export and before the render in most cases.

This last operation (or paragraph) should be not relevant anymore in future Indigo versions.
obsolete asset

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:16 am

Diagram? :roll:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 am

edit: this simplification from me is incorrect, see the posted image below in this page. Still unofficial, just for quickness sake. The ideal usage (section):

[| |]

where:

[ ] : SGG Planilux
| : SGG Cool-Lite SKN 165

--------------

After export, the IGS content for the concerned materials will probably feature a double declaration of the same medium. The second declaration if present (depending on exporters) should be deleted by hand until the fix is delivered by Glare Tech.

--------------

Etienne, I sent you a PM around these lines already: is it worth/possible for exporters writers to implement a private_data tag for embedded SGG presets (media and materials being defined separately) ? It seems to me that the license does not allow for this currently... I am not even sure wether the topic can be discussed this publically.
Last edited by CTZn on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
obsolete asset

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:36 am

CTZn:
This is clear to me now; thank you very much!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

saint-gobain-glass

Post by saint-gobain-glass » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 pm

CTZn wrote:Etienne, I sent you a PM around these lines already: is it worth/possible for exporters writers to implement a private_data tag for embedded SGG presets (media and materials being defined separately) ? It seems to me that the license does not allow for this currently... I am not even sure wether the topic can be discussed this publically.
Hello,

I have to check with the license, but if not possible yet, we will find a solution so that it is made possible

Etienne

saint-gobain-glass

Post by saint-gobain-glass » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 pm

zeitmeister wrote:I'm too dumb for that description.
Could you please upload a simple drawing with arrows and selections and material names and such? :-))

Thank you very very much in advance!
A small drawing is always better than a long speech!
DGU.JPG
Green = SGG Planilux (raw glass) material
Red = SKN 165 (coated glass) material

Et voila, you have modelled a fully realistic modern insulating solar control glass. You may add the aluminum or painted spacer frame bonding the two glasses together for better close-up realism.

Don't forget to remove the redundant "medium" in the exported scene until glare has fixed the "medium declared twice" issue. Another solution is to include first SGG Planilux in your scene, and use a coated igm where you stripped off the medium tag. If your exporter exports materials in the same order than you added them, like sketchup does, it should do the trick.

Etienne

23 posts