Official: IES lighting effects with Indigo

Tutorials/guides/tips on how to use Indigo and the Indigo exporters
don.rzoolian

Re: Official: IES lighting effects with Indigo

Post by don.rzoolian » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:38 am

Hello.

I have a problem with IES in 3dsmax. The procedure described in the Maxigo manual isn't working. I choose photometric>target, set IES profile and apply the Maxigo-IES layer modifier. When I try to render there is a problem: ObjectExcep: Emitting object has zero total luminous flux. (render stops) Do You know why?

And the next question is about this tutorial "IES Techniques". In material editor in 3ds max i cannot find location of emitter parameters. There are only emitter type (type, efficiacy), blackbody/rgb parameters, texture and dx manager. I cannot find any possibility to set IES profile. I was searching in the main material editor (external indigo mat editor) but there is no possibility to create emitter material at all.

Please help :)

I'm running 3ds max 2011.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm

don.rzoolian wrote:Hello.

I have a problem with IES in 3dsmax. The procedure described in the Maxigo manual isn't working. I choose photometric>target, set IES profile and apply the Maxigo-IES layer modifier. When I try to render there is a problem: ObjectExcep: Emitting object has zero total luminous flux. (render stops) Do You know why?

And the next question is about this tutorial "IES Techniques". In material editor in 3ds max i cannot find location of emitter parameters. There are only emitter type (type, efficiacy), blackbody/rgb parameters, texture and dx manager. I cannot find any possibility to set IES profile. I was searching in the main material editor (external indigo mat editor) but there is no possibility to create emitter material at all.

Please help :)

I'm running 3ds max 2011.
Hi don.rzoolian, see this thread: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 37&t=10729

Frutiger

Post by Frutiger » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 am

I've got a question for you folks. When creating a lighting source, the size of the plane you assign the light material to seems to alter the brightness of the light source. Is there any way to manage this so you're getting the appropriate brightness from your lights without actually creating bulbs with shades etc. on them?

Frutiger

Post by Frutiger » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 am

whoops doublepost
Last edited by Frutiger on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 am

That's probably related to your exporter, where you define the power of the light source in the material definition.

The power of a light source object is equal to the irradiance (ie brightness) of the surface multiplied by its area. This means, if you set a constant power in the exporter, that the irradiance will be equal to the power setting divided by the mesh area.

To avoid this, either:
- Use another setting than power, such as irradiance, but I don't know which exporter allow this
- Maybe simply remove the power setting? This is also exporter related, I do not know if this is possible
- When multiplying the mesh area by x, also multiply the power by x in the material definition

Setting constant irradiance is possible in Indigo's igs language, but it seems exporters are missing this feature?

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:21 pm

@galinette

your explanation makes sense for "normal" light sources but for an IES profile ?

I had noticed as well that when scaling an emitter that had an IES profile enabled the light intensity changed. Based on what is explained here:
http://www.kxcad.net/autodesk/3ds_max/A ... ormat.html
an IES profile includes measured data in lumen so I had assumed that scaling the emitter should not have an effect in this case.

21 posts