Proxy workflow with Blendigo

Tutorials/guides/tips on how to use Indigo and the Indigo exporters
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Eneen

Proxy workflow with Blendigo

Post by Eneen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:38 am

Hi,

I'm currently switching my workflow to Indigo and I'd like to share tip regarding proxy workflow. I'm doing archviz and use lots of proxies so had to figure out how to use it efficiently in Blender. As blendigo doesn't have proxy display support I tried to make workaround for that. Hope it will be useful for someone.
1. Create .blend file for each model, inside make two mesh copies: one full and one decimated using applied modifier or manually editing. Name decimated mesh nicely, e.g. same name for object and mesh, second name for original mesh. Object has to be one mesh with multiple materials assigned
2. I assign external materials to mesh, they have to be named (inside indigo) exactly same as inside blend file as Indigo keeps material names with exported igs files. External materials inside blend file must have path set to absolute.
3. Export original mesh to igs (I've done it by rendering as export igs is broken right now).
4. In decimated mesh properties set proxy for external file in Indigo section and point to igs file you have exported, again absolute path is needed.
5. Link (not append) decimated mesh from blend file into your scene. As it has proxy enabled Indigo will render igs instead of decimated mesh, nothing will be exported and viewport performance will be nice.

Pros are:
- fast viewport display
- fast export
- controllable proxy display, not fast but possible
- proxies can be easily updated after editing
- all can be kept together
- materials from proxies are denoted with L so don't clutter scene so much

Any suggestions appreciated
Best regs.
Alex

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Proxy workflow with Blendigo

Post by Oscar J » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:14 am

This is great, sry for late reply. :)

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:17 pm

Glad you like it!

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:35 pm

Yes, this is the workflow I use as well for large models that tend to be used a lot! Extremely helpful when working with large scenes with loads of hi-poly objects (i.e. forests).

Linking vs. appending the decimated model doesn't really make a difference, IMO. I prefer to append.

I've been exporting IGS from Blender fine... I didn't realize it was broken?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1