Exit portals in SketchUp

Tutorials/guides/tips on how to use Indigo and the Indigo exporters
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
lycium

Exit portals in SketchUp

Post by lycium » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:49 am

A quick (non-video) tutorial on setting up exit portals in SketchUp / SkIndigo: http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... s-sketchup

Please feel free to leave comments! :)

Voytech

Re: Exit portals in SketchUp

Post by Voytech » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:47 am

lycium wrote:A quick (non-video) tutorial on setting up exit portals in SketchUp / SkIndigo: http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... s-sketchup

Please feel free to leave comments! :)
Simple and to the point. No need for video here. You could maybe switch the X-Ray mode off though so people don't think that the portal has to be translucent.

Cheers

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:00 am

Hmmm good point... I quickly hacked the scene together (SketchUp noob!) and didn't give the room unique colours, so everything was a single colour in the normal rendering mode. I guess I'll revisit the diagrams!

Thx for your input / checking it out :)

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:13 am

Ehi Thom!
ANYTHING YOU NEED about SketchUp: ask here! I'd very like to contribute to those tuts if I can!!

..we sketchuppers more often prefer to isolate the exit portal geometry (in this case it's the EP, but we like to isolate many other thingies too), in order to "detach" it from the surrounding geometry such as walls etc. So, it could be useful (even if NOT REQUIRED) to right click the EP's face, make it a group and THEN enter it and make it an EP.

lycium

Post by lycium » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 am

Thanks for this offer, I may take you up on that! Maybe we could do it like, you take some images and give a very rough outline of what I should write, and I'll write the rest?

That would be a MASSIVE help since I am so useless at making these basic SkechUp scenes :oops:

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:04 am

No problem at all!
I could make you all the images you need, and give you the simple models I've drawn those from.

Just email me the subjects you have in mind (in separate emails), and I'll try to provide you what you ask.

lycium

Post by lycium » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 am

That's really fantastic, thanks again Pibuz!

I'm still going over our online manual and next time I stumble into need for any kind of modelling, instead doing the usual ham-fisted modelling job I'll either poke you on GTalk or drop a quick mail- much appreciated :)

7 posts • Page 1 of 1