SkIndigo 2.4.4 Beta

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Whaat
Developer

SkIndigo 2.4.4 Beta

Post by Whaat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Here is a new SkIndigo beta. Should work with Indigo 2.4.X.

#Version 2.4.4

#Added: Option to open Linked IGM material with Indigo Material Editor - PC only
#Added: IGS file meta data
#Added: Invert texture button
#Fixed: IGM loading of clip maps now supported
#Added; step blend option for blend material types
#Changed: step blend automatically enabled for clip map textures if texture 'b' parameter equals 1.0
#Added: support for blackbody and tabulated spectra for all wavelength dependent parameters
#Added: spectrum picker for wavelength dependent paramters
#Added: support for absorption and sss shaders
#Added: Material picker tool
#Added: spinboxes to numeric input fields
#Changed: Naming convention for 'external' textures to 'texture'
#Changed: Naming convention for 'None' to 'Constant' - added checkboxes for optional material parameters

SkIndigo 2.4.4

Windows Installer
Zip Archive (Mac)

Be warned, if you are trying to render a scene that you had set up with an older version of SkIndigo, you might not get the same results. Certain parameters now require you to click a 'checkbox' before they will be activated. I hope to fix this 'backwards compatibility' issue in the next beta.

Please let me know if of any bugs.

Enjoy!
Whaat
Attachments
skindigo_ui.jpg

ieatfish

Re: SkIndigo 2.4.4 Beta

Post by ieatfish » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Just got it installed. Looks good so far. Hopefully I can do some tests in the next couple days.
Intel Core-i7 @ 4.0 GHz | GTX 580 | 12 GB RAM

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 am

Hi Whaat!

I expected some more implementings, but I think you worked hard as always to make all the new features compatible.

Sadly, the problem previewing textured mats with "Indigo" preview scene is still present.

I suggest you compare the 2.2.9 and the last 2.4.4 version, to see what's not working anymore: the first shows no problem, while all the latter issues do.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Pibuz wrote:I expected some more implementings
Anything in particular that is causing the most disappointment?
but I think you worked hard as always to make all the new features compatible.
The new spectrum picker was an enormous amount of work and took time away from implementing more exciting features I'm afraid.
Sadly, the problem previewing textured mats with "Indigo" preview scene is still present.
This is clearly an Indigo bug which I have now reported here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=9925

If you revert back to Indigo 2.2.12, you should be fine. (SkIndigo 2.4.4 should work great with it - just don't use absorption or sss shaders with Indigo 2.2.12)

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:06 pm

I was really about to ask you what is the spectrum picker: how does it work and why is it so important that you decided to include it into the skindigo GUI. I'm totally ignorant about it :oops:

Thanks for having reported the Indigo bug about the console: hope they fix it soon. So, everyone is experiencing the same issue, and not only skindigo users? because until now I only saw SkIndigoers' complaints.

PS. I'm still waiting for a small surface colour tut :lol:

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Here to ask a little clarification about postpro-diffraction and normal diffraction.
How we skindigoers enable it, how does it work, what are the pros and cons....

I did some tests some time ago, but checking the aperture diffraction box while rendering didn't lead to any relevant difference from checking the box before launching the scene export...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi Pibuz, let me clarify two points, the first being minor:

The crash with albedo on subdivs was reported in the 2.4.3 announcement thread. Second point is that lens diffraction is seemingly forced to post-process, for a certain number of releases already. This is pretty obvious with a scene generating fireflies: they shouldn't form "stars" with the traced method but they do, therefore we can say that invoquing the traced method forces the post-process diffraction no matter wh(a)at.
obsolete asset

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi Whaat!
Just trying out this new release to get a little bit more familiar with it.
I find that you added a checkbox which indicates if you are using a map or not. I suggest an "automatic checking" of the box when you select a map. It would be more intuitive. :wink:

Thank you CTZn for the clarifications. Point 1 is ok: the bug has already been reported. Waiting for it to be fixed, no hurry. being a total noob in programming, I didn't knew if the problem involved the plugin only or the general program. Sorry for having been annoying.

Point 2 is less clear: is actually post-process diffraction still using the usual tons of RAM? or has been it improved/optimized? Is there a way to calculate diffractions without occupying GB of ram, in despite of the render size for example?

Sorry for the dumb questions.. If you'll kick my ass I'll understand...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:35 am

Kicking your arse would expose mine too much dear Pibuz :lol:

Afaik the change wasn't logged... if I made the correct assumption in the first place.
obsolete asset

mily

Post by mily » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi guys,

Using latest Indigo 2.4.6 & Skindigo 2.4.4 I've noticed these script errors:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Translation:
error: expected hexadecimal number
It happened in one particural scene, opening Skindigo Material editor and after few hours of modelling. I can't figure out is it my mistake. The scene is about 170mb :D , so it's quite hard to send.

Thanks,

m.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 am

Pibuz wrote:I was really about to ask you what is the spectrum picker: how does it work and why is it so important that you decided to include it into the skindigo GUI. I'm totally ignorant about it :oops:
The spectrum picker allows the following for wavelength depedent parameters (eg. albedo, emission, specular reflectivity, base emission, etc.):
- define constant arbitrary spectra independent of the current SketchUp color setting for that material. Previously, you could only select 'SketchUp' or 'Texture' for these parameters
- adds support for rgb, uniform, blackbody, or tabulated spectra to these parameters. Previously, only RGB was supported and had to be accomplished by choosing the 'SketchUp' parameter type and then setting your SketchUp color as desired.
- allows proper IGM loading and manipulation of materials created using tabulated spectra (there are quite a few of these in the database - diamond for example). Previously, SkIndigo could not load these materials.
- it brings SkIndigo more in line with the capabilities of the Indigo material editor.
PS. I'm still waiting for a small surface colour tut :lol:
I don't have time for a comprehensive tutorial, but all it does is add a thin layer of absorption right at the surface of a specular or glossy transparent material. One tip that I have is that you might have to use a very bright texture for this parameter, or else, the material will absorb too much light.
A simple use of this parameter is for creating stained glass. Just create a normal glass material and then add a texture for the surface color to represent the stained glass pattern.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:47 am

mily wrote: It happened in one particural scene, opening Skindigo Material editor and after few hours of modelling. I can't figure out is it my mistake. The scene is about 170mb :D , so it's quite hard to send.

Thanks,

m.
Can you try making a copy of the SKP file and then deleting all geometry from the scene (to reduce the file size). Then test to see if you still get the error message. (I expect you will)

If you still get the error, then post the SKP file so I can take a look at it. Thanks!

mily

Post by mily » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Whaat wrote: Can you try making a copy of the SKP file and then deleting all geometry from the scene (to reduce the file size). Then test to see if you still get the error message. (I expect you will)

If you still get the error, then post the SKP file so I can take a look at it. Thanks!
1. I've deleted the whole model - still getting the error (still 70 mb)
2. Purged all the textures - no errors.

How to find the wrong texture/material?

m.

mily

Post by mily » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:16 am

Sorry for doublepost...

Whaat, have you received my pm?

The scene that I've sent you works, but the error is very annoying :)

help!

m.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:00 pm

mily wrote:Sorry for doublepost...

Whaat, have you received my pm?

The scene that I've sent you works, but the error is very annoying :)

help!

m.
Yes, I received it, thanks! I've been really busy but I will try to take a look at it soon.

17 posts