Creating Lights

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
AtomFury

Creating Lights

Post by AtomFury » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm trying to achieve a lighting effect similar to the ones seen in this image:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/node/625?size=_original

However, from what I've learned from the manual and various forum posts, I've only been able to create a super-bright light source which washes everything out. I've tried just making a rectangle and adding a white material, and then tinkering with the temperature and power settings (multiple times), but it doesn't change anything.

Basically what I'm saying is, how would you make the lighting to achieve the effect in the image I linked to?

remus
Indigo 100

Re: Creating Lights

Post by remus » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:13 pm

First thing to do is check the scale of your model, if it is not realistically scaled it will be hard to get realistic lighting effects.

Other than that it looks as if you should be able to get a similar effect by positioning the sun correctly then using an exit portal material in place of the windows.

FPSatan

Post by FPSatan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:56 pm

I think emitters have to be a volume, so add a cube instead of a plane.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:02 pm

FPSatan wrote:I think emitters have to be a volume, so add a cube instead of a plane.
Nope, they don't.

AtomFury

Post by AtomFury » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:44 am

remus wrote:First thing to do is check the scale of your model, if it is not realistically scaled it will be hard to get realistic lighting effects.
Ah, this must be my problem, thank you.
remus wrote:Other than that it looks as if you should be able to get a similar effect by positioning the sun correctly then using an exit portal material in place of the windows.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's an exit portal material? Is this a term for a transparent/translucent material or some such thing?

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:49 am

Its a material you can use in place of windows, it simulates light coming through a window but without the huge amounts of computation involved with having a realistically modelled window with light shining through it.

benn

Post by benn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:36 am

Ha ha!

http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... ls|outline

I documented exit portals. ;D

AtomFury

Post by AtomFury » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:08 am

benn wrote:Ha ha!

http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... ls|outline

I documented exit portals. ;D
Hey, thanks, I was going to ask how you create an exit portal, but it's covered in your documentation. Thanks again :D

8 posts • Page 1 of 1