Wishlist

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
ieatfish

Re: Wishlist

Post by ieatfish » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:29 am

I've seen this mentioned a couple times on the forums, but haven't heard anything new:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4145
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... &view=next

Is there any plan to add a feature like this? Then we could have lower geometry scenes and still get the non-perfect 90 degree corners. (or if it is already implemented, could someone kindly guide me to it?)
Intel Core-i7 @ 4.0 GHz | GTX 580 | 12 GB RAM

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Whaat!
Another idea from your italian wasp: could be useful to add drop-down menus in the "advanced" section of the "Render Settings" showing some additional output properties, such as downsize filters, splat filters, ring parameter, blur parameter and so on.

Could also be very very interesting to have a first drop-down list with a series of "presets" with the usual description if the cursor is upon the title (something that says like: "this preset leads to a very sharp image", or "use this preset for blurry images", for example..): after having chosen a preset from the "presets" drop-down list, the fields placed by the different parameters should automatically switch to pre-determined values.
Otherwise, one could just START with some preset and then adjust some values by hiself in trial-and-error mode :mrgreen:

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:53 am

Pibuz wrote:Hi Whaat!
Another idea from your italian wasp: could be useful to add drop-down menus in the "advanced" section of the "Render Settings" showing some additional output properties, such as downsize filters, splat filters, ring parameter, blur parameter and so on.

Could also be very very interesting to have a first drop-down list with a series of "presets" with the usual description if the cursor is upon the title (something that says like: "this preset leads to a very sharp image", or "use this preset for blurry images", for example..): after having chosen a preset from the "presets" drop-down list, the fields placed by the different parameters should automatically switch to pre-determined values.
Otherwise, one could just START with some preset and then adjust some values by hiself in trial-and-error mode :mrgreen:
Hey Pibuz, I like to keep SkIndigo simple where possible. In this case, I think these parameters should be part of the Indigo GUI instead of the SkIndigo GUI. I believe this has been requested for Indigo GUI.

Part of my reasoning is that if you can change these parameters from SkIndigo, it might not be quite apparent to the user what the parameters actually are doing (the names of the parameters don't help much here). If the user can change them in the Indigo GUI and see the immediate feedback, it eliminates the guesswork.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:07 am

You say the truth, indeed. I'm asking you because I see that your exporter's development is rather fast, if compared to the Indigo main GUI updating times.
I understand you when you say "keep the SkIndigo GUI as simple as possible": that's why I proposed to insert the values in the "advanced" section. If someone doesn't want to mess around with parameters, he could just leave the default values (which means: the values we nowadays actually export the scene with, without knowing anything).

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:00 am

Hi Whaat!
Long time not having heard anything from you: how's the development going? Which new psychedelicatessen?

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:52 am

Pibuz wrote:Hi Whaat!
Long time not having heard anything from you: how's the development going? Which new psychedelicatessen?
Hi Pibuz,
Things have been slow lately but I will pick up the pace again soon. Life is extremely busy right now, but that should change in time. Keep the wishes coming, though! I am still listening even though I have been slower in responses lately. :)

gjengi

Post by gjengi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:43 am

Hi Whaat,

I've been using indigo for a couple of years now for my university architecture course and I love how easy it is to get good quality renders out of Sketchup. Of late, I've started using it a lot more so that I can get quick at building up renders for when I go back for the second part of my course (I'm working right now on my year out in practice 8) ).

I'm currently still using the old, free version of skindigo/indigo as I can't afford to buy the new one quite yet.

I don't know if this has been asked of before or if it's possible already, but would it be possible to render directly from sketchup sections??? I use sections all the time with my architecture designs and this would be such a handy feature! (currently I have to break down my model and manually delete sections!)

A feature like this would definately help persuade me to sum up the money to buy a license!!!

Thanks for such a great render so far, I love it! :)
Architect in training...
...almost done!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:18 pm

gjengi wrote:Hi Whaat,

I've been using indigo for a couple of years now for my university architecture course and I love how easy it is to get good quality renders out of Sketchup. Of late, I've started using it a lot more so that I can get quick at building up renders for when I go back for the second part of my course (I'm working right now on my year out in practice 8) ).

I'm currently still using the old, free version of skindigo/indigo as I can't afford to buy the new one quite yet.

I don't know if this has been asked of before or if it's possible already, but would it be possible to render directly from sketchup sections??? I use sections all the time with my architecture designs and this would be such a handy feature! (currently I have to break down my model and manually delete sections!)

A feature like this would definately help persuade me to sum up the money to buy a license!!!

Thanks for such a great render so far, I love it! :)
Thanks for the encouragement! It is currently impossible to render sections directly but if you use this tool:
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 80&t=16038 it will make it much easier to do. You must register on the forums in order to download the Zorro2 plugin.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:04 pm

My bump maps are always coming out distorted. How about a tool to make assigning textures to curved surfaces easier?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 am

Okay, back with an idea that most will hopefully find useful. At least, I do. 8) :lol:

I have some difficulties in recognizing whether SkIndigo finds an additional texture or not. This peculiarly happens when dealing with files coming from others who had some additional textures applied, or when one moves some textures to reorganize them or something..

Could be useful if the not-found map was directly recongnizeable from the SkIndigo GUI.
I imagined that a red character would give it immediate attention.

E.g. Say that SkIndigo can't find any textures following the path previously selected in the bump map slot: the drop down "texture" would turn red, so it is more recognizeable.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:05 am

Pibuz wrote:Okay, back with an idea that most will hopefully find useful. At least, I do. 8) :lol:

I have some difficulties in recognizing whether SkIndigo finds an additional texture or not. This peculiarly happens when dealing with files coming from others who had some additional textures applied, or when one moves some textures to reorganize them or something..

Could be useful if the not-found map was directly recongnizeable from the SkIndigo GUI.
I imagined that a red character would give it immediate attention.

E.g. Say that SkIndigo can't find any textures following the path previously selected in the bump map slot: the drop down "texture" would turn red, so it is more recognizeable.
Yes, good idea, I have been meaning to add this. I'm not sure if it will make it into 2.4 stable, though. Thanks!

fractal.design

Post by fractal.design » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Adding a "Cancel" button to the Quick Render "refresh textures" dialog would be handy.

Also, dunno if its a bug or not, but under MacOS the render settings and material windows sometimes wont show (either clicking the button or using the menu item)...

Thanks for the great work!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:22 am

I have a very small and probably simple thought - don't think theres a way to do it as yet:

Is it possible to change the GUI so that you can give light layers names, rather than numbers? I use a fair few light layers in my scenes and my memory not being what it once was, once its all running in Indigo I have a job remembering which light layer was which light! Means I have to write them down on a bit of paper prior to rendering.

Just a customisable box rather than the drop down list, so I can call a layer for example 'Main overhead' or 'WC spots' rather than '1' or '2'.

EDIT - oh and just to add in, I f*****g love Indigo, its just incredible. For a non 3D modeller like myself (sketchup is about my limit) Indigo lets me create some lovely stuff with ease. So yeah, thanks guys, keep up the fantastic work.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:01 am

You already can give each light layer a different name, thorugh the SkIndigo plugin!
Just follow PLUGINS->SKINDIGO->SET LIGHT LAYERS NAME and you can specify the names.

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:51 am

Holy naming light layers Batman!

Awesome, thanks Italian wasp ;) I thought it was too obvious a feature to have escaped the attention of everyone, but for some reason never ever noticed that little menu button!

219 posts