Wishlist

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
neo0.

Re: Wishlist

Post by neo0. » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:46 pm

remus wrote:When you say 'background images' do you mean watermarks (as theyre called in sketchup) or good old fashioned imported images?

if the former, it could be a little tricky as you cant access watermarks using the sketchup API and if the latter, you just need to right click->explode.
True, but skindigo could add this in "manually" as a post processing thing. Currently, you have to go into photoshop, remove the parts of your render that you want to be your "windows", and add your image onto a separate layer.. It would save a lot of time.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:01 am

neo0. wrote:
remus wrote:When you say 'background images' do you mean watermarks (as theyre called in sketchup) or good old fashioned imported images?

if the former, it could be a little tricky as you cant access watermarks using the sketchup API and if the latter, you just need to right click->explode.
True, but skindigo could add this in "manually" as a post processing thing. Currently, you have to go into photoshop, remove the parts of your render that you want to be your "windows", and add your image onto a separate layer.. It would save a lot of time.
OK, but how can I 'add' it as a post-process if I can't get the image information from the API? You would have to have another SkIndigo interface where you select and position your background image. I don't think most users would appreciate this workflow.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:04 am

Good point.. But personally, I don't see the problem with it.. Having a background image can be very atmospheric imo and the workflow you outlined above seems really simple. It can't take anymore than a few seconds..

Edit : I see that with blender you have a very straight forward method of changing the sun's angle/heading.. Maybe something similar in the next version of skindigo? A separate interface?

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:41 am

What's wrong with SU's shadow settings and solar orientation?

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:26 am

Stinkie, it can be quite tricky getting the sun just where you want it, as you cant see the sun itself in SU.

I remember whaat mentioning something about a point and click sun positioning thing at some point...thatd be cool :)

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 am

remus wrote:Stinkie, it can be quite tricky getting the sun just where you want it, as you cant see the sun itself in SU.

I remember whaat mentioning something about a point and click sun positioning thing at some point...thatd be cool :)
Yes, that's still in the works.....possibly next release...

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 am

remus wrote:Stinkie, it can be quite tricky getting the sun just where you want it, as you cant see the sun itself in SU.
Hm, yes - good point. :)

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Ehi Guys!
Just another one: customizable light layers names!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:36 am

Just to be clear, I wanted the "background image" to also be visible behind glass and other transparent materials..

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:24 am

Pibuz wrote:Ehi Guys!
Just another one: customizable light layers names!
This will be included in the next release (along with lots of other enhancements) :)

C'mon people, is that really ALL your wishes? My personal TODO list is 5 times longer than your wishlist! Let's hear some more! :mrgreen:

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:28 am

Pibuz wrote:I agree with Neo0 about the need of more advanced UVmapping tools.
What kind of tools are you thinking of? Can you elaborate? My personal feeling is that advanced UV mapping tools do not belong in SkIndigo but maybe I am not understanding you correctly.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Sorry Whaat. About the UV tools, they're something related to SU more than SkIndigo.
Concerning your personal TODO list, I'm happy to know you've such a great phantasy. Seeing our low-profile requests should give you more room to your ideas :mrgreen:

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Just because you asked, I made a little thinking about mat previews. I usually use "Indigo" as a preview scene, for it is very well balanced and it allows to study reflections easily.
I find the other presets totally useless, at the moment, basically because they're old and not convincing at all. Who as ever used the "custom" scene? Or the "Monkey" one? I never did, actually.
But I'd very like to have a good "sphere" preview, or a customizable "custom" scene.

I took a look to the Max exporter and I saw that Suv introduced layer blending for the "sphere" mat preview. Perhaps could be a cool idea to implement that a little maybe. I think that the only thing that matters is a little loss of time in studying a beguiling environment, and the scene will be used, and most important will be useful :wink:

Here is a little work we did together a little time ago, and I really think that was a good work and it might not be put apart:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 7&start=30

Another useful idea could be to implement a "absorption" and/or "SSS" preview scene/s, in which could be easily understandable in what measure the scattering value/absorption affects our material, in relation with the thickness of our solid geometry.
An example could be:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... f=4&t=4421

Other two cents. Just because you asked :D

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:30 am

Thanks Pibuz,

I use the sphere and cube preview scenes all the time because they are so much faster. I know they aren't as well designed but the purpose of these are speed. They give you a quick idea of what the material will look like. Useful especially for newbies.

I actually use the monkey and custom scenes sometimes especially when testing SSS and absorption settings. But these I would be willing to replace with something better. However, creating good preview scenes is definitely not one of my better skills.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:18 am

I'd be glad if I could help.
Maybe I could spend some time making up some scenes, then I could post them for you to choose the best one!

219 posts