How to Export SketchyPhysics Animation

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
cotty

Re: How to Export SketchyPhysics Animation

Post by cotty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:23 am

cotty wrote:Some of the steps described in the first post are out-of-date and I try to explain the new workflow (according to whaats steps). Comments and suggestions are welcome!

1. SketchyPhysics3.2 (didn't work together with plugin "auto centerpoint" and SU8?)
2. Enable Recording in the SketchyReplay Toolbar
3. Run the Physics Simulation
4. When prompted, save the SketchyReplay animation.
5. You can review the animation by using the SketchyReplay Toolbar.
6. Set up your camera position and render settings in SkIndigo. Make sure you set the halt time so that each frame will not render forever.
7. Save the SketchUp-File (a filename is needed to produce the ".igq"-file?)
8. Go to the SkIndigo menu (Plug-ins -> SkIndigo) to export the SketchyReplay animation
9. Open the saved ".igq"-file with Indigo Renderer
10. Each frame will be saved as a PNG file to your default 'renders' directory (Indigo Renderer -> Tools -> Show Render Folder in Explorer -> \renders).
11. You must then compile the PNG files into a video file using another software application (eg. VirtualDub)
I have created a video to verify these steps... http://youtu.be/FIz0NKNVgDo
little gallery... http://unverzagt.biz/cottysgallery/

cotty

Post by cotty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:18 pm

AnujSuper9 wrote: I've had my Indigo Sketchy render going for about 10 hours now. I left it on overnight and started looking at it this morning. I am wondering where the default 'renders' directory is. I've searched everywhere, the Indigo Program directory, my sketchup directory, and other directories I had specified at some point for the png images and have not been able to find them anywhere. Does it create all of these at the end of the batch process? Or is there some setting to automatically save images after they are done that I forgot to toggle?
Thanks!
cotty wrote:10. Each frame will be saved as a PNG file to your default 'renders' directory (Indigo Renderer -> Tools -> Show Render Folder in Explorer -> \renders)
e.g. c:\Users\cotty\AppData\Roaming\Indigo Renderer\renders\

AnujSuper9

Post by AnujSuper9 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:53 pm

x
Last edited by AnujSuper9 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cotty

Post by cotty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 pm

AnujSuper9 wrote:Anyway, this might be kind of off topic, but is there a way to keyframe camera transitions during a SketchyPhysics animation? Maybe so your camera could follow a domino trail or something like that?
I found some hints here but never tried...
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 09&start=0

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:53 am

Happy to reply that everything works as should now on OS X.

dna

Post by dna » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:15 am

Dang. Has anyone seen (and fixed) an apparent frozen animation... sketchyreplay works fine, export appears OK, and the .idq loads up... but the source .igs files render only the first frame (over, and over) as though the replay was stuck on frame 1.

Unfortunately for me, I can very reliably break this on (3 and counting) unique machines (2 XP and 1 Win7)... with any model (I even save it with a real name, like "test.skp") I've tried SU7-pro, SU8-free, Indigo 2, Indigo 3 (and many combinations of those)

Another anomaly, perhaps related, that I haven't dug into is that even though I download v3.2 of sketchyphysics (suspecting this is an old problem) from http://code.google.com/p/sketchyphysics/ the plugin reports the version as 3.1

My idea for a work around is to use sketchyreplay to burp out a bunch of .skp scenes (which are in fact animated correctly) and batch up conversion of those to .igs with a Ruby script. (but I read here this should all work just fine!)

Sigh- any thoughts or help will be most appreciated!
thanks.

dna

Post by dna » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:56 am

Sorry, but please ignore my last post... Newbie mistake! I had forgotten to enable component instancing on my test models (doh). Works great now!

usman wijanarko

Post by usman wijanarko » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Some of the steps described in the first post are out-of-date and I try to explain the new workflow (according to whaats steps). Comments and suggestions are welcome!

1. SketchyPhysics3.2 (didn't work together with plugin "auto centerpoint" and SU8?)
2. Enable Recording in the SketchyReplay Toolbar
3. Run the Physics Simulation
4. When prompted, save the SketchyReplay animation.
5. You can review the animation by using the SketchyReplay Toolbar.
6. Set up your camera position and render settings in SkIndigo. Make sure you set the halt time so that each frame will not render forever.
7. Save the SketchUp-File (a filename is needed to produce the ".igq"-file?)
8. Go to the SkIndigo menu (Plug-ins -> SkIndigo) to export the SketchyReplay animation
9. Open the saved ".igq"-file with Indigo Renderer
10. Each frame will be saved as a PNG file to your default 'renders' directory (Indigo Renderer -> Tools -> Show Render Folder in Explorer -> \renders).
11. You must then compile the PNG files into a video file using another software application (eg. VirtualDub)

question :
i still confuse in task No. 6 .. could any one show me how to set halt time..minimum halt and maximum halt time ..? because i just got one picture render not many , so i cant use as a movie
i still confuse".igq" wich file i must start render...?
when i will start i got this massage :
Error: Scene parsing error: Invalid root element 'scenedata'

this is newbie mistake...can some one help me...?

kunsthammer

Post by kunsthammer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Whaat wrote:1. You need to have SketchyPhysics3 installed and be on a Windows platform.
2. IMPORTANT: For every object that you wish to animate, you have to rick-click and ENABLE INSTANCING (This requirement will hopefully be eliminated in a future release). You can also select a group of objects and right-click->enable instancing.
3. Enable Recording in the SketchyReplay Toolbar
4. Run the Physics Simulation
5. When prompted, save the SketchyReplay animation.
6. You can review the animation by using the SketchyReplay Toolbar.
7. Set up your camera position and render settings in SkIndigo. Make sure you set the halt time so that each frame will not render forever.
8. Go to the SkIndigo menu to export the SketchyReplay animation
9. In Windows explorer, navigate to the saved batch file (eg. my_animation.bat) and double-click it to start the batch render process.
10. Each frame will be saved as a PNG file to your default 'renders' directory. You must then compile the PNG files into a video file using another software application (eg. VirtualDub)

Now start posting some cool animations!
-----------------------------
Hello this is exactly what I want.
Does it work with Indigo RT :?:

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:18 am

kunsthammer wrote:
Whaat wrote:1. You need to have SketchyPhysics3 installed and be on a Windows platform.
2. IMPORTANT: For every object that you wish to animate, you have to rick-click and ENABLE INSTANCING (This requirement will hopefully be eliminated in a future release). You can also select a group of objects and right-click->enable instancing.
3. Enable Recording in the SketchyReplay Toolbar
4. Run the Physics Simulation
5. When prompted, save the SketchyReplay animation.
6. You can review the animation by using the SketchyReplay Toolbar.
7. Set up your camera position and render settings in SkIndigo. Make sure you set the halt time so that each frame will not render forever.
8. Go to the SkIndigo menu to export the SketchyReplay animation
9. In Windows explorer, navigate to the saved batch file (eg. my_animation.bat) and double-click it to start the batch render process.
10. Each frame will be saved as a PNG file to your default 'renders' directory. You must then compile the PNG files into a video file using another software application (eg. VirtualDub)

Now start posting some cool animations!
-----------------------------
Hello this is exactly what I want.
Does it work with Indigo RT :?:
It should work fine in Indigo RT.

40 posts