Should SkIndigo support the Kerkythea file format?

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 22

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 am

Hi,

I had a thought a few days ago that it would not be hard for me to create an extension to SkIndigo that would allow export to Kerkythea XML format. Essentially, SkIndigo would be used as the material and scene editor inside SketchUp, and the user could choose to export the scene to Kerkythea. Indigo parameters would be translated to Kerkythea parameters where applicable.

Why would I do this? Well, because I can! It would only take a small number of hours to code this. The export would be basic settings only such as:
* geometry
* camera settings and resolution
* sun settings
* some material settings (color/texture, material type, bump maps, clip maps, reflection, roughness)

All other settings would be Kerky defaults.

One reason I would like to do this is because I have always preferred Indigo as an unbiased rendering solution but I would sometimes like to use the flexibility of the different rendering methods that Kerkythea provides. However, I don't want to set up a render and tweak materials using two different apps. Once you get comfortable with a certain app, you tend to stick with it.

What are your thoughts on this?

Whaat

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:19 am

Hi Whaat!
I voted for a No, this time..

I tried both Kerky and Indigo, and I feel much more comfortable in using the second one. So, from my point of view, it will be some useful hours wasted.

Anyway, you say it would take a short time to code an exporter to kerky, so I don't think you'd bother anybody if you do :lol:

neepneep
Indigo 100

Post by neepneep » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:48 am

I'll vote yes but only on condition that you change the name to skerkydigo.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:51 am

I say go for it. I've always hated the mat setup in Kerky.

Coincidentally, I've been hoping you'd do something like this for Crashwell. I'd pay good money for that! And I'm sure I'm not alone.

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:55 am

neepneep wrote: skerkydigo.
:lol:

I would say yes, only if Indigo remains the focus of the exporter. I have never used Kerk, I did open it once, and this might cause me to take another look at it.

options are always nice.

(I'd rather see a tut on using and applying external maps in the current version (1.1.15) of Skindigo first :twisted: )

cpfresh

Post by cpfresh » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:45 pm

The idea would be very convenient for persons who use both Indigo and Kerkythea. Like you said, using one interface to set up both renderers would be much easier. Are Indigo rendering parameters so similar to Kerkythea's? It looks like the output would be similar.

I vote 'Indifferent'

I don't think I'll ever open Kerkythea but maybe now is a good time for you to slip in other features while Indigo has slowed for a bit.

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:22 pm

I say yes because not all of us have a render farm at our disposal for doing movies in indigo so this added feature would be fantastic for that kind of thing with the biased methods in Kerkythea! Plus it means we don't have to do 2 different sets of materials!

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:20 am

YES! both apps do different things better so it would be nice to have the option. :)

2kemon

Post by 2kemon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:04 am

I'll vote HELL YES! I feel most comfortable with indigo, but need to learn a faster way for those quick and dirty 1st render tests. One of Kerkytheas biased render methods would suite this purpose very well. And if I want to do it all in kerkythea, using the skindigo exporter would probably give me a better starting point.
The only concern I have is on kerkytheas behalf. I think many indigo users could use a quick biased render method to test your scene befor letting indigo bring it home. But what's the upside for kerky users? I'm not saying there isn't one, but I'm not seeing it.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 am

they could easily test Indigo, because the settings would be the same.... (if things run optimal, at least...)

MESCH973

Post by MESCH973 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:37 am

hi Whaat, i vote Yes for skerkyndigo :D

2kemon

Post by 2kemon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:05 am

Kram1032 wrote:they could easily test Indigo, because the settings would be the same.... (if things run optimal, at least...)
...but the kerkythea users have an exporter of their own, so why would common features in skindigo mean, that it would be easier for them to test indigo features?
They would still have to download both and learn a new interface.

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 pm

its for skindigo users not (skerkythea)? users :D

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm

hmmmm...Skindikerkythigo....well the whole issue may be moot for now. I am busy trying to get SkIndigo ready for next official release, so who knows if I'll ever get around to adding this feature. I was able to export a scene, but KT could not load it so now I have to bug-hunt. I guess no one should be holding their breath for this feature...

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:17 pm

well i would find it very usefull whaat, but if you're unable to find the time to do it, well i'll just look forward to the next release of skindigo as we all do!

16 posts