2 Point Perspective view

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
DareDevil

2 Point Perspective view

Post by DareDevil » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:20 am

In architecture, we usualy use the 2 Point Perspective, and SketchUp have this feature.
But when I export with SkIndigo, I loose my point of view and the result is a wider angle view with no vertical perspective. In this view, I can crop to have my initial view, but I need to render a bigger image to find the right view.

I thought this feature was not aviable in Indigo, but when I did the same in C4D, Cindigo export the right view.
I searched in the Cindigo .igs exported file, and I found lens_shift_up_distance.

I dont know how SketchUp define 2 Point Perspective view and if it's easy to convert in lens shift up Indigo value, but it will be a nice thing to have this feature in SkIndigo... ;)
Feel the light

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:37 am

What you have to do is narrow a lot the fov (zooming out the image in the process)... at least that's how I do to achieve it

DareDevil

Post by DareDevil » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:08 am

... Narrowing the fov reduce ALL perspective.

In the view I posted, the horizontal perspectives are visible, but the vertical one is canceled, and the camera is at human eye height. It's just like a shift lens in photography : the camera is horizontal and the shift lens allow to target up or down without vertical perspective.

1- normal camera at eye height looking up to see all the building (vertical perspective :()
2- normal camera heigher to look straight horizontal to cancel vertical perspective (flying camera :()
3- normal camera at eye height looking straight (not all the building :( and too many ground :()
4- shift lens or 2 points perspective (eye height view, no vertical perspective, see the whole building :):))

This is a very usefull feature in architecture, with real camera or 3d soft.
Sketchup can do it, Indigo can do it too... but it missing in SkInogo to make the link :(
I tried to add the lens_shift_up_distance in the .igs file, but it's realy hard to find (or calculate...) the right value.
Feel the light

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:03 am

Shift lens is supported since version 1.1.5. However, it is not possible to extract the shift_up_distance and shift_right_distance from the SketchUp API :cry: . You have to use trial and error to find the correct values.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:12 pm

There's a ruby that, amongst other things, lets you set the "tilt" of the camera. That's what you need. I forgot what it's called, though (can't check right now). You might want to ask over at Sketchucaion.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Daredevil! I use two-points perspectives a lot in my work, and I usually use cameraparameters.rb to get it, more than the native sketchup two-points pespective. You know, two-points perspective is nothing more than a simple perspective in which your eye points directly straight, neither up or down.
So, with this rb you just have to set the Z value for your camera (position Z) and then copy it in the "Mire Z" slot (your eye height value).

Hope this helps you!
Attachments
camera_parameters.rar
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

DareDevil

Post by DareDevil » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks all for trying to find a solution :D
Pibuz wrote:You know, two-points perspective is nothing more than a simple perspective in which your eye points directly straight, neither up or down.
Not only ! In SketchUp, when you are in 2 points, you can move the frame (with hand tool) without tilt your "head", you cant look up or down without vertical perspective.
In my samples, the view #2 and #3 are straight view, with same Z for camera and target as you said, but the #4 is a "shifted", camera target is same Z but frame target is heigher.
I used it in real photography, so I want to have same tools in 3D ;). But unlike SketchUp, in real photography, we can keep little vertical perspective for nice result. A wikito explain. I think I will make a page for this feature in the Indigo wiki...

I'm not a programer, so I cant realy test all, but (after hollidays ;)) I will try to explore the cameraparameters.rb and the SketchupCamera Class to see if there is a solution. I want to find it !!!!! :lol: :lol:
Feel the light

7 posts • Page 1 of 1