SkIndigo 0.9.1 Official

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:32 am

Thanks Whaat for your response.
About the crash issue of big files: I haven't got this problem using the other render engines.

I have the feeling it has to do with the nesting of components in the x'nd degree. However, exploding for instance high poly trees is just impossible in Skethcup as it crashes the program.

I know the SU2KT had the same issue (big models crashing at export) but should be resolved in new version.

By the way, 63 Mb is not that big. I rendered a 1330 Mb [EDIT: I mean 130 MB) SU file in Maxwell before without problems ;)

Cheers,
Kwistenbiebel
Last edited by kwistenbiebel on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:02 am

kwistenbiebel wrote: By the way, 63 Mb is not that big. I rendered a 1330 Mb SU file in Maxwell before without problems ;)
:shock:
I do not have any SU files that big so it is hard for me to test to figure out the problem. Tomasz helped me fix the memory leak bug so I don't think that is the problem. You should try to export the scene with SU2KT 3.0. Also, my current computers might have trouble handling anything that big. Any chance you could share the 63 MB file?

Sometimes, it is not that clear which components you should enable instancing for. Let's say you are trying to export one high poly tree and each branch is a SU component. In that case, you should enable instancing for the branch component (and disable it for the tree component)
If you are trying to export a forest of several hundred medium-poly trees, it may be better to enable instancing for the entire tree instead of the branches.
Keep in mind that if you have nested components with instancing enabled, only the top-level component will be instanced.

I have some ideas on how to improve the ability of SkIndigo to handle huge models, but a 1330MB SU model is probably best left to another app! :wink:

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:30 am

Oh shoot...Did I say 1330MB? = typo . I meant 130 Mb, but I guess that's hugh too :)

It's not so difficult to reach filesizes like that. Just use some Hi-res textures and place a dozen of high poly trees and you are pretty fast over 50 MB....

I will try your advice on using instances. Thanks

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:29 pm

Biebel, you sure get around. :wink:

Whaat, as I said on PPB (I thought I'd continue the discussion here), I've installed both Indigo and SkIndigo on my Mac. I'm still having issues: Indigo keeps going boink. This is the pop-up I get: "indigo.exe has stopped working" (Windows -always informative).

Strange thing is, it seems to be scene related. The test scene with the couch crashes every time. The one with the glass of milk, however, doesn't.

Edit: rendering the 'couch scene' again. 1 h 32ms and 23 seconds thus far. Looks far better than anything Maxwell could pull off in the same amount of time. Fingers crossed!

Edit2: 5hrs and 30ms. Looks awesome! I was considering buying Maxwell, to use it alongside Podium, but now ... I don't think so!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:41 am

Stinkie wrote:Whaat, as I said on PPB (I thought I'd continue the discussion here), I've installed both Indigo and SkIndigo on my Mac. I'm still having issues: Indigo keeps going boink. This is the pop-up I get: "indigo.exe has stopped working" (Windows -always informative).

Strange thing is, it seems to be scene related. The test scene with the couch crashes every time. The one with the glass of milk, however, doesn't.
That is weird. I haven't tested the tutorials scenes with Indigo 0.9.10 but I don't see why you would be getting crashes. These types of crashes are pretty rare with Indigo so I hope you don't get too discouraged. I will do some testing with the tutorials scenes to see if I get crashes.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:16 am

Discouraged? Oh no. Far from it. I think both Indigo and your plugin look like excellent tools. Indigo has been rendering the couch scene for approximately 8 hours now (I'm too lazy to go and check), without crashing. Last time I took a peek, the render was looking really good.

Seems like Indigo is quite capable of producing Maxwellian quality. For ... free. Also, Indigo seems to be faster than Maxwell. Pretty decent deal if you ask me. :D

As I said, I was contemplating buying Maxwell, but that doesn't seem necessary anymore. I think Indigo (and Podium) will sufficiently serve my needs.

At first glance the workflow SkIndigo provides looks quite good too. I'm gonna take a closer look at how it all works tomorrow. I'm not very technically minded, so I hope SkIndigo won't be too difficult too learn.

EDIT: Looked into the tuts you so graciously provided for another ten minutes. Good stuff! Those presets really are a cool idea. Not sure how to
apply bumps, however. Might be me: it's pretty late, and I'm tired. Thanks for the tuts and the exporter! And thank you, OnoSendai!
Last edited by Stinkie on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luqui82

Post by luqui82 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:21 pm

i thought this skindigo version will have webdialogs :cry:

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:34 pm

I had no more crashes. Everythings works just fine. Did the car scene from the tut, and Indigo delivered a nice render of it in about 3 hours (on an octo core, admittedly). I'm pretty sure Maxwell would take longer. I am quite impressed.
Attachments
cars_lots_of_em.png
cars_lots_of_em.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 3669 times

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:15 am

it's nice, but you should change your car material... a good way usually is to blend two identical phongs but with different exponents.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:21 am

Thanks for the tip, but this was just a test render. The scene is from Whaat's tuts.

JUst posted it because I was impressed by the result/time.

Blending materials will be for a later stage. ;) Still learning.

EDIT: I'll keep what you said in mind, though. Might come in handy. ;)
Last edited by Stinkie on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:03 am

luqui82 wrote:i thought this skindigo version will have webdialogs :cry:
Sorry if I disappointed anyone. The next beta will have webdialogs.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:13 am

Kram1032 wrote:it's nice, but you should change your car material... a good way usually is to blend two identical phongs but with different exponents.
What'll this do, Kram? (I cannot try it right now, as I am at the office, but I am curious.)

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:05 am

It will give a material that has two differently strong highlights ;)
You can find some pictures if you search around the forums ;)

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:16 am

Thanks, I'll do that.

crc

Post by crc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:58 am

Kram1032 wrote:it's nice, but you should change your car material... a good way usually is to blend two identical phongs but with different exponents.
So, Whaat, how would you blend two phongs with the sketchup exporter? Would you set each color to phong, and then go to one and make it a blend with the other one?

36 posts