Sketchup - exporting errors (output error?)

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Bosseye

Sketchup - exporting errors (output error?)

Post by Bosseye » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi All,

Not sure if this is an Indigo issue or a Sketchup issue, but as it only seems to happen when using Indigo I thought I'd try here first....

Essentially I want to export a 2D graphic of my line work to underlay the colour render in Photoshop, but everytime I export, regardless of settings I get grey bars all over the image.

These are the same grey bars that appear when you set your image size in Indigo render settings to denote the extent of your render. For some reason they appear to be going a bit mad on export. I've tried with 'fresh' Sketchup files, old files, I've tried varying combinations of resolution and output sizes and the issue only happens once you set up a view in Indigo.

So here is a fresh file, nothing Indigo has been set up:
SketchupViewNotSetUp.JPG
If I export a 2D graphic from this, it all works as intended:
SketchupExport-NoError.jpg
Now, if I go to the Indigo render settings and set an output size and click apply, the grey bars appear denoting the size of the render. Which is fine and it all renders fine:
SketchupViewSetUp.JPG
The issue comes when you try to export a 2D graphic from this set up view - the grey bars have all gone a bit crazy:
SketchupExport-Error.jpg
Changing the size of the outout in the Indigo render settings changes the behaviour of the grey lines on the 2D export, they go through varying degrees of crazy:
SketchupExport-Error2.jpg
SketchupExport-Error3.jpg
And so on. Here is what it looks like on my working file where I have the export resolution settings set higher:
SketchupExport-Error4.jpg
I'm at a loss, hopefully someone can assist. I'm using Sketchup Pro 2017, Indigo v3.8.37, SKIndigo v3.8.35 - I think those are the latest versions?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Sketchup - exporting errors (output error?)

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Bosseye wrote:I'm at a loss, hopefully someone can assist. I'm using Sketchup Pro 2017, Indigo v3.8.37, SKIndigo v3.8.35 - I think those are the latest versions?
Nope these are ancient :lol:
Indigo 4.0.54: https://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vi ... =1&t=14374
SKindigo 4.0.54.1: https://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vi ... 17&t=14375
polygonmanufaktur.de

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Oh whoops :lol: I'm so out of date.

Mind you, I only have an Indigo 3.0 license.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:12 pm

Bosseye wrote:Mind you, I only have an Indigo 3.0 license.
I see... In this case lets do it the classic way:
Best to understand your issue is as always to provide some (simplified) example scene with the problem;
so somebody can text it instead of playing some guessing game :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Ok, the .skp extension is not allowed as an upload so I've put a OneDrive link below to the file. In theory though, anyone could test this by opening sketchup, setting the output and trying to export a 2D graphic - it took about 30 seconds to produce the image below, so if anyone was able to have a quick test and see if they can replicate the issue that would be appreciated.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkQBfbkFuV2U6nmD1lZU8kUsdTd9

It would be interesting to see if anyone else has the issue - the scene attached is literally a base sketchup scene you get upon start up. All I've done is set the output for the render to 2000x2000 in Render Settings which results in this error when exporting a 2D graphic (sketchup export settings all left as default):
SketchupExport-Error5.jpg
In theory anyone could test this by opening sketchup, setting the output and trying to export a 2D graphic.

Any thought/help appreciated anyway.

Thanks

lape

Post by lape » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Yep, same problem here. Seems to be an Indigo issue, it only happens after setting the size in the Indigo output.
I'm also using Sketchup 2017 pro.

As a workaround: Open a new Sketchupfile, import you model and export a 2d Image. Somewhere there is also a plugin for exporting your Scenes from Sketchup...
24 hours isn't enough
http://www.werkraum3d.com

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:51 am

Thanks for testing. I'll try your workaround.

Appreciated.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:50 am

Hi Boss! Sorry for having seen this a little late maybe.

I got the same annoying issue, and I found to be sort of a Indigo camera issue.

You can avoid that by getting rid of the camera distortion SkIndigo causes when loaded. You know that SketchUp provides an "advanced camera" toolbar: try to open a new file and click on the "erase camera settings" button. You will see that Sketchup viewport goes crazy and stretches everything like hell. If you take a look at the zoom factor you will see a strange number: just reset it to a decent value (40-50) and save the file. Ok, from now on this file will be free from errors :D

Obviously Indigo willl render fine as always, but SketchUp will export correct images.

Was I clear enough?

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:30 am

Pibuz wrote:Hi Boss! Sorry for having seen this a little late maybe.

I got the same annoying issue, and I found to be sort of a Indigo camera issue.

You can avoid that by getting rid of the camera distortion SkIndigo causes when loaded. You know that SketchUp provides an "advanced camera" toolbar: try to open a new file and click on the "erase camera settings" button. You will see that Sketchup viewport goes crazy and stretches everything like hell. If you take a look at the zoom factor you will see a strange number: just reset it to a decent value (40-50) and save the file. Ok, from now on this file will be free from errors :D

Obviously Indigo willl render fine as always, but SketchUp will export correct images.

Was I clear enough?
Hi Pibuz! Thanks for the response - sounds interesting, but in Sketchup I don't appear to have an 'erase camera settings' button. If I follow Tools > Advanced Camera Tools then the only options are to create, reset or select camera type? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place. The Indigo camera settings don't appear to have this either (SKIndigo 3.8.35).

Apologies if I'm being stupid!

Thanks again.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:38 am

it's the one on the extreme right!
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (20.32 KiB) Viewed 11299 times

lape

Post by lape » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 am

you live and learn.. thx for this hint, never realized this button before.
24 hours isn't enough
http://www.werkraum3d.com

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:37 pm

Ah, ok thanks. I didn't have the toolbar out, I was just looking in the menus.

Nice one, I will try this. Thanks Pibuz!

12 posts • Page 1 of 1