Imported material questions - bug or???

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
crc

Imported material questions - bug or???

Post by crc » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:08 am

I am curious if a material that is imported into the sketchup model, gets exported by SkIndigo? It doesn't seem that it does. I imported a material only to use as a bump map, but it doesn't get applied in the render, and I don't see it in the exported materials folder. It does show up in the material editor drop downs though. And, if I apply a sketchup material as a bump map, that works also.

kwistenbiebel

Post by kwistenbiebel » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:13 pm

It is working for me.
See to it that the bump textures are black 'nd white images and not coloured.
Bump textures with high gamma saturation (looking a little washed out) tend to give more detailed bump results.

crc

Post by crc » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:22 pm

Well, it's more than likely something I am doing, but here is the process I tried-
I have a wall that is just a standard sketchup color, green I think.
I found a black and white bump map image, just a speckled type image, I named it "rough.jpg" (I tried some other BW images also)
I brought that into the model so that it would appear in the bump map drop down. I applied it to the wall, Phong ->bumpmap image/rough.jpg -> bump value .01
it didn't show anything.
But, for the floor I used a tile that is a standard sketchup tile that is black and white, the octagon one, and also applied it as the bump map with value at .01 and it looked great.
so, not sure if just my settings or something is off. I was wondering about maybe the tile size of the bumpmap being an issue?
thanks for any help!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:53 pm

crc,

I am surprised you are the first person to ask about this issue. This is how it all works:

You MUST have a texture applied to the faces of your object that you wish to add the bump map to. Did that make any sense? In your case, you would have to add the 'rough.jpg' texture to your green wall material. You have to apply the texture directly to the faces (not group), so that the texture coordinates (UVs) get exported properly. The reason your bump map is not rendering is because Indigo has no idea where to position it. If you don't have a texture applied, the UV coordinates do not get exported because they do not exist.

Another thing to remember is that your bump map will only get exported to the TX_FILENAME directory if it belongs to a material that is being used by an entity in your scene. Either apply it to a face and export the model or just copy the image manually into the TX_FILENAME directory. You only have to do this once, then your bump map can be used.

But what if you don't want the color of the bump map to be used as the color of your material? Simple: Just modify the color of your material as desired and check 'colorize' OR disable the color of the texture entirely by turning on 'disable material texture' in your Indigo material settings.

You CAN use colored jpegs for you bump maps but only the grayscale information will be used.

OK, I think that's it. So to sum up:
1) Apply your 'rough.jpg' texture to your wall material
2) Change the color of your wall material to green
3) Make sure your wall material is applied directly to the faces and use the texture position tools to adjust the size and position of the bump map
4) Turn on 'disable material texture' for your wall material if you want to ignore the color information of your bump map
5) Export and render

That should do it! Let me know what happens.

Whaat

crc

Post by crc » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:51 am

Awesome!
Thanks for the tut Whaat, makes sense now, especially the part about Indigo needing to know where to apply the map.
Starting to get the hang of this I think. It really is a nice plug-in and renderer!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:10 pm

thanks! glad you are enjoying it.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1