Arroway Materials

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
maeglin1

Re: Arroway Materials

Post by maeglin1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:01 pm

fenerolina wrote:Hi,
This is the way I use to work with wood textures: An easy example would be a pine plank texture and a natural/waxed finish looking.
-First I place the diffuse map in sketchup. Verify scale of the model and scale of the wood (how long your board should be in relation of the texture). Then set the camera very close to the plank at a grazing angle with an indirect light source infront.
-Then in skindigo I set the material type to phong, ior 1,2 and exponent to 400 or so. Place the bump map in the bump channel at a 0.0004m value. finally set the albedo map to none with 20 black color and render to test. With pine the dark vains and knots are harder so shoud be the lighter parts in bump texture. I use to edit bump and exponent map in gimp/levels.
-Set the bump to none when I'm happy and work with the exponent map. With pine softer parts doesn't shine so much so should be the darkest parts of the texture. And yes Zom_b that texture works definitely better if you set it on the fresnel scale, didn't know that. So what to do with the exponent channel?. When it's ok, I check the final result with all textures on, and generaly desaturate a lot.
These are some renders of the example:
Thanks alot Fererolina. Your help made alot of sense. I also noticed that people use GIMP for texture mapping in Sketchup. So I will give it a try.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Zom-B wrote:
fenerolina wrote: With mappin the fresnel scale, you adjust the reflectance amount with a exponent map the blurriness!
THANKS A LOT! Drink a beer on me tonight!
I definitely need some kind of non technical description of all the new features :lol:

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:46 pm

fenerolina wrote:Hi,
This is the way I use to work with wood textures: An easy example would be a pine plank texture and a natural/waxed finish looking.
-First I place the diffuse map in sketchup. Verify scale of the model and scale of the wood (how long your board should be in relation of the texture). Then set the camera very close to the plank at a grazing angle with an indirect light source infront.
-Then in skindigo I set the material type to phong, ior 1,2 and exponent to 400 or so. Place the bump map in the bump channel at a 0.0004m value. finally set the albedo map to none with 20 black color and render to test. With pine the dark vains and knots are harder so shoud be the lighter parts in bump texture. I use to edit bump and exponent map in gimp/levels.
-Set the bump to none when I'm happy and work with the exponent map. With pine softer parts doesn't shine so much so should be the darkest parts of the texture. And yes Zom_b that texture works definitely better if you set it on the fresnel scale, didn't know that. So what to do with the exponent channel?. When it's ok, I check the final result with all textures on, and generaly desaturate a lot.
These are some renders of the example:
Fenerolina, posts like yours remind me that there's always something more to learn. I teach SketchUp and Indigo but I never thought of that (really smart) workflow to test maps. Maybe I'm getting really old........
BTW thank you a lot!!!!!

lape

Post by lape » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:01 am

Pibuz wrote:
Fenerolina, posts like yours remind me that there's always something more to learn. I teach SketchUp and Indigo but I never thought of that (really smart) workflow to test maps. Maybe I'm getting really old........
BTW thank you a lot!!!!!
+1 :mrgreen:
24 hours isn't enough
http://www.werkraum3d.com

19 posts