Displacement

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Mongoose

Displacement

Post by Mongoose » Sun May 05, 2013 8:34 pm

ok so i think i got it right and if not please fix me

when i want to make a brick wall for one outer wall of my house in skindigo, i need to use displacement map right?
so i take a nice bricks material, so it could be flattened upon the displaces wall, then i use a map to make the bricks go out and the inner lines of cladding stay in, but i have to maintain proportions right? i mean i have to fins a displace map (image) at the same resolution as my material so there wont be any outer lines going out wrong,
and not to forget to make it all soften\edged, as Wh447 explains on YouTube, some things are not so clear as how do i know i have the correct resolution? height width of pixels to be maintained with the material i chose and the displacement map.
and why does some of the maps dont really work well, i mean do i have to have clean B&W maps (Images) in order to get it flawless?
thank you!

btw when i think about it.. i can make the map using something i made up on MS PAINT... right?
Sketchup 8, Sketchup 2013 Pro
AutoCad 2013 Architectural,
indigo 3.4.16
ROG - ASUS - X79 Sabertooth
Intel I7-3930K 12 Threads
NVIDIA - GTX670 DC II
16 GB - Corsair Vengeance With Applied Cooling
Noktua NH-D-14
128 - OCZ SSD Vertex IV

CTZn

Re: Displacement

Post by CTZn » Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 am

You can create one brick (red/brown) material and one mortar (grey-ish) material and use the displacement map again as a blend between each.

Subdivisions are an important factor for displacement. Keep in mind that one added subdivision level will multiply the triangles count by four ! In other words, it will divide the triangles size by two, in x and y say.

So with a high resolution texture but a too low subdivision the result might still look like crap.

Displacement woks in conjuction with subdivisions, however there are two distinct (and eventually separate) processes. Subdivisions can be used alone to smooth surfaces (with smoothed edges indeed).

If you still need help please give the whole thing a try and post a pic.
obsolete asset

Mongoose

Re: Displacement

Post by Mongoose » Mon May 06, 2013 1:36 am

CTZn wrote:You can create one brick (red/brown) material and one mortar (grey-ish) material and use the displacement map again as a blend between each.

Subdivisions are an important factor for displacement. Keep in mind that one added subdivision level will multiply the triangles count by four ! In other words, it will divide the triangles size by two, in x and y say.

So with a high resolution texture but a too low subdivision the result might still look like crap.

Displacement woks in conjuction with subdivisions, however there are two distinct (and eventually separate) processes. Subdivisions can be used alone to smooth surfaces (with smoothed edges indeed).

If you still need help please give the whole thing a try and post a pic.
Thank you very much ill finish work and give it a try
Sketchup 8, Sketchup 2013 Pro
AutoCad 2013 Architectural,
indigo 3.4.16
ROG - ASUS - X79 Sabertooth
Intel I7-3930K 12 Threads
NVIDIA - GTX670 DC II
16 GB - Corsair Vengeance With Applied Cooling
Noktua NH-D-14
128 - OCZ SSD Vertex IV

3 posts • Page 1 of 1