water

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
JamesM

Re: water

Post by JamesM » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:51 am

the version of my Indigo is 3.0.17, so i don't have the other settings like Active Mesh or smooth

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:57 am

hey james,
don't use a caustic texture for displacement to create water displacement, you can't put a chicken back in the egg like that ^^
Use something like that here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/184
put that ISL code from Bump to displacement!

For the mesh subdivision there should be a "smoothing" option that can be enabled!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:57 am

JamesM wrote:the version of my Indigo is 3.0.17, so i don't have the other settings like Active Mesh or smooth
The update the hell out of it mate ^^
polygonmanufaktur.de

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:15 am

JamesM wrote:Hi everyone, I need some help with the water caustics.
It's my first attempt and i did everything already mentioned

sorry for being such a newb.. how in earth do you make the water go bumpy and wavy... i want to make waves like these but its all flat.. as i posted before i know how to make caustics, thanks to you awesome people, how to make the shapes but i cant understand how to make the waves
Sketchup 8, Sketchup 2013 Pro
AutoCad 2013 Architectural,
indigo 3.4.16
ROG - ASUS - X79 Sabertooth
Intel I7-3930K 12 Threads
NVIDIA - GTX670 DC II
16 GB - Corsair Vengeance With Applied Cooling
Noktua NH-D-14
128 - OCZ SSD Vertex IV

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 am

The caustics are supposed to be a result of having the waves, so in theory you change how the caustics appear by changing the waves on the surface of the water. Its the light passing through the displaced surface that results in the caustics, I'm not entirely sure how you're managed to get caustics if you don't have a displacement map active giving you bumpy waves!

To make the waves on the water (ie just give it a bumpy surface), its all to do with the displacement map. So make your water material and then in the SKIndigo material editor, check the box next to 'displacement', change the drop down box to 'texture' (assuming its not already on that) and then click the '...' box to open up a dialogue box which lets you choose the texture you want to use to displace the surface. Click 'new' and then navigate to your texture - the greyscale image posted on page 1 of this thread is what I've been using (940-bump I think its called) so just select that image from wherever you save it on your PC and it should load into the preview window. Leave all values as default and click OK. Then lower your displacement value to something sensible like 0.005 or 0.01.

Next step is to subdivide the mesh to actually get the displacement to work. Make your water a solid volume and then make that a component. Double click the component, select all the faces in the component and then right click you get an option to 'edit active mesh'. If you open this dialogue you can set the subdivision level (0-9) and it is this that makes the displacement work. I set mine to 9 s it seems to give the best results for me. Also set your curvature threshold to 0 as I had issues with that.

That should be all you need to do, render and see what it looks like. Changing the displacement texture or upping the value should result in a bumpier (but not necessarily more realistic!) wave surface.

See the screenshots below anyway for clarity.
bumpy.JPG
Bumpy 2.jpg
Bumpy 3.jpg

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40 am

DUDE!!! you Are AWESOME!!!!!!
And all this time i didn't realize that if you want bumpy water you either use bump or displacement map, not both... :D LOLZ
Sketchup 8, Sketchup 2013 Pro
AutoCad 2013 Architectural,
indigo 3.4.16
ROG - ASUS - X79 Sabertooth
Intel I7-3930K 12 Threads
NVIDIA - GTX670 DC II
16 GB - Corsair Vengeance With Applied Cooling
Noktua NH-D-14
128 - OCZ SSD Vertex IV

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:16 am

Hope it helps :D

For some reason my caustics have gone when looking into the pool from above. They've also gone a bit wonky in the half and half view. Not sure why, but nevermind! Its all good fun.
Causticsbendy.jpg
Causticsextra.jpg

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:31 am

Hi Bosseye,
That looks great.
Can you post your scene? (skp or PIGS would be fine)

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:06 am

No problem, Sketchup file attached - tried to attach the .pigs file too, but the uploader spazzed out (or my connection did, either way), sorry.

Theres a shadow glitch on the underwater view in the Sketchup scene, but it doesn't show up on the render so can be ignored. Also as above, the caustics are no longer visible from above the pool looking in - maybe because I changed the texture to blue tiles, or maybe just being glitchy - either way, everyone feel free to play and improve it!
Attachments
Water caustics test.rar
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 368 times

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:25 am

Thanks.

By the way, Indigo doesn't currently support the camera (or light sources) straddling the interface between two different media. So it won't be possible to render camera 'half in water' shots.
Well actually it will be if you model a camera underwater housing correctly :)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:29 am

I tried modelling a pool in SketchUp as well :)
I used a shader for the displacement: here it is:

Code: Select all

def eval() real:fbm(posOS()*3.0, 2)*0.01

#This is a fractal noise shader.

#3.0=Position scale

#2=fbm octave

#0.01=multiplier (eg. height for displacement or bump)
EDIT: attached render.
Attachments
pool.jpg

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:35 am

Bosseye:
That would make an awesome tutorial: "How to make caustics in a pool in SkIndigo".
Could we convince you to make a tutorial on it and post it in the tutorials section: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19 ?

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 am

OnoSendai wrote:Thanks.

By the way, Indigo doesn't currently support the camera (or light sources) straddling the interface between two different media. So it won't be possible to render camera 'half in water' shots.
Well actually it will be if you model a camera underwater housing correctly :)
Hey, good idea! I'll give it go.

With regard a tutorial, happily. When I get some spare time to do a proper job, I'll write something up. Probably others on here who can get better results and do a more complex tutorial, but as a simple starting point for thickos like me I'm happy to try and share.

Also, very nice pool :D

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:30 am

Hi Bosseye,
It doesn't have to be a totally complete tutorial, anything would be great. What you have written so far would make a great start.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:18 am

Yes, agreed with Ono. Pool caustics are a little bit tricky indeed with SketchUp. :D
Also, would be great to include the optional steps to use the shader as the displacement.

80 posts