Page 1 of 1
png image render problem
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:47 am
by pei_tech
I am new to indigo, and I am have a frustrating problem.
I have inserted a png image as a sign in a drawing. When I render it, the "transparent" background shows up in the render.
what it looks like in the model:
what it looks like in Indigo:
It looks as if it is making a transparent area behind the lettering...I have tried setting the image off the face a short distance, but the affect is the same.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: png image render problem
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 am
by tar_gniK
You need to create an alpha /transparency map, with just black and white, so Indigo knows which part not to make visible.
Re: png image render problem
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:27 am
by Whaat
No, Indigo supports PNG transparency.
Try adding the PNG image as an external texture (change the albedo to 'Texture' and browse for the PNG file)
Are you sure this isn't a GIF? I am surprised it did not work.
Re: png image render problem
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:40 am
by pei_tech
whaat wrote:Are you sure this isn't a GIF? I am surprised it did not work.
It is png from the sign designer. Been frustrating.
I will try the suggestion you made.
Thank you.
Re: png image render problem
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:42 pm
by CADMonkey
Has the PNG been provided with transparent background?
When I do similar stuff I do the following. I'm pretty new too so I'm sure there are much more efficient techniques:
Create a file in Pshop... with the same RGB background as the green of the canopy.
Paste in the image from the sign-writer.
Save as RGB PNG.
Duplicate the canopy texture in sketchup and apply that PNG to it.
I find this useful. The niggle is that if you tweak the canopy material you have to do it for the logo material too.
Re: png image render problem
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 am
by tar_gniK
That would work too, but regardless of whether Indigo supports png transparency, it is just easier just to make a black and white image, and apply it the clip map channel of the texture. The first image of the model shows the image has got an alpha, but using a clip map eliminates doubt.
Does not take longer than a few seconds to do. Example:
Re: png image render problem
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:29 am
by CADMonkey
Tar,
Ahh yeah that looks locigal...
I knew there would be better ways. This would save me from having two materials to maintain.
So how do you apply the green canopy material and the logo to the face?
I guess it would be a blend (advanced stuff not played with much yet)?
Re: png image render problem
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:36 am
by Zom-B
The problem here is that the texture has alpha and therefor the green box gets transparent, so you can se inside guys

For such stuff you need to blend the green material with the logo using a clipmap, and no alpha PNG.
or you create a mesh plane that you put some mm away from the green roof thingy and apply the logo texture on it...
Re: png image render problem
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:14 am
by Whaat
Zom-B wrote:The problem here is that the texture has alpha and therefor the green box gets transparent, so you can se inside guys

For such stuff you need to blend the green material with the logo using a clipmap, and no alpha PNG.
or you create a mesh plane that you put some mm away from the green roof thingy and apply the logo texture on it...

I should have caught that! Nice one Zom-B.