rendering speed

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
littlemissbridget

rendering speed

Post by littlemissbridget » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Hello all,

I am somewhat of a beginner to Skindigo (but not new to rendering so hopefully that makes me a little less of an annoyance). I have figured out the basics though and tried to do a full, high res render last night. This was just an exterior perspective with no lights and fifteen hours later it still wasn't complete rendering!

I need to speed up the process as I have quite a bit more scenes to render (some with lighting). And I can't compromise resolution (currently at 1280x720) because I am actually hoping to blow these up even larger for some poster boards.

I edited a few things that I read in forums/instructions. I changed all of the white to light grey. I also changed the setting from bidirectional path tracing to plain old path tracing. Will both of these speed up the render?

Some other questions:
Should I have quit out of the sketchup file that indigo renderer is rendering?
Currently the supersampling factor is set at 2.. does anyone have any idea what DPI a "2" will produce at 1280x720? Can I change it to 1 and still get a quality image?
Will path tracing (non-bidirectional) produce a good render when I have interior lights introduced?
I just read about Proxy instancing which sounds pretty straight forward, but does this significantly speed up render?
Any other tricks/settings I can change to speed up rendering?

Thank you in advance for any help! I really would like to graduate college and become a productive member of society. :P

FoXar

Re: rendering speed

Post by FoXar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Hey there!

Welcome on the boards!

What is your system, would you mind sharing the scene or at least post some SketchUp views? This might explain a lot. :)
Cheers,
Roo Evans

littlemissbridget

Post by littlemissbridget » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Was continuing digging through Indigo forums and I just read that Indigo never "stops" (like a 3d autocad render, for example). Is that the case? Because maybe then the only thing slow here is me lol

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:24 pm

littlemissbridget wrote: Should I have quit out of the sketchup file that indigo renderer is rendering?
Hi there. This is up to you. If you are running out of memory, then it maybe worthwhile.
littlemissbridget wrote: Currently the supersampling factor is set at 2.. does anyone have any idea what DPI a "2" will produce at 1280x720? Can I change it to 1 and still get a quality image?

Practically speaking no. More noise will decrease your ability to enlarge the images later. There is no speed expense using supersampling. Only memory.
littlemissbridget wrote: Will path tracing (non-bidirectional) produce a good render when I have interior lights introduced?

Dependent on the scene. Post a few images to help here.
littlemissbridget wrote:I just read about Proxy instancing which sounds pretty straight forward, but does this significantly speed up render?

It will decrease your export time, and make things more manageable in SketchUp -- as a former user of SketchUp, I know how crap that software is at handling many items at once. Instancing will free up memory, so you might find that you could make more use of instancing, and then increase supersampling, all in the same memory footprint. Easy peasy.

I would say also that if your final aim to render for print, then don't render at PC resolutions (ie 1280x720, 1920x1080) instead render at print resolutions. For example at A3 (4960x3508) try use a factor of that resolution like 1810x1280. This will avoid having black bars above and below the image.

Speeding up your render is pretty much dependent on your system specs.

Hope that helps. :)

4 posts • Page 1 of 1