Interior and light

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
jovke123

Interior and light

Post by jovke123 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 am

Hi everybody. I am using Sketchup and Indigo for a year, but these past months when the summer began, I wanted to learn as much as I can to do the best renders whit Indigo. This is my first post on the forum. First I have render only exteriors, and in the last month I have tried some interior renders. After doing both, my opinion is that easier to do realistic interior, and it is much harder to do photorealistic exterior. The light is the basic problem especially in the exteriors when you do not have many support like in interiors when you can put plane emitters. I am attaching my interior renders.
File 4 planes- with four plane emitters inside the room. (SSF1, BioDirect with MLT, 4000x2000, 9 hours, no windows)
File 4 planes higher - only higher resolution 8000x4000 and different camera.
Two noisy photos:
File Sun&Sky- different environment (no plane emitters-sun&sky light) and different time - 9 hours.
File 2 planes - different environment (two plane emitters outside the room, 20 cm away from the wall) and different time - 5 hours.
No windows or exit portals just openings.
I would like to see some comments, critics, and suggestions (tips&tricks) to overall improve my renders and to be better at lighting the scene.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
4 planes.jpg
2 planes.jpg
sun&sky.jpg
4 planes higher.jpg

CADMonkey

Re: Interior and light

Post by CADMonkey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Hiya I'm pretty new too.

I'm impressed with your interior. Especially the curtain. I find curtains so tricky in SKP.

I think the sun and sky render is going to produce the best image in the end.

My Three tips. Sorry if I'm teaching my grandma to suck eggs:

1... If you can't see the windows, take the glass out of them. The glass slows the render down.

2... If you can't see the environment out of the windows, use exit portals. This will help the image refine much quicker. Put one in each window.
Instructions:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... s-sketchup

3... Tweak the white balance. The exposure is a tad blue for me.

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Hey jovke123, welcome to the forums!

Your scene is really nice already. But that carpet cries for a better (higher resolution) texture, and perhaps some displacement!
You could work on the walls also: They seem like a pure white diffuse mat, you might try applying a very subtle texture, or perhaps even use a phong with a very low exponent and specular texture, so light doesn't bounce back too uniformly.
4 planes looks very elegant, but I like the sun&sky one cause it gives nice sun reflections on the floor/walls.
Keep it up :)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:19 am

hey jovke, seems we simply overlooked your post, so sorry for the late answer :?

Listen to CADMonkeys Grandma, she knows how to... well... his points are all valid :)

I would suggest also to try using LightLayers during scene setup, by that you see if some Lights stay very noisy and damage by that the whole image, your lamp on image "sun&sky.jpg" seems to be such a badboy.

regarding some extra advice I would reduce the reflectivity of the floor quite much and use a exponent map to define where it is shiny and where glossy (the planks also look like being scaled down way to much!)

Also keep the "RGB max 204" rule in mind, some materials are way to white like the lamp stand, the book and also that carpet texture. Same for the over-saturated violet fabric on the bed, even color channels should not pass the 204 mark to stay in realistic dimensions.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Headroom
Indigo 100

Interior and light

Post by Headroom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:55 am

This post never showed up in tapatalk on the iPad which I use mostly form forum reading lately. Odd!

Very nice renders. Good lighting, nice details. Cannot add much to the sound advice given so far other to reemphasize work on materials t
With the biggest surfaces ( walls, floor) having the most impact.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

5 posts • Page 1 of 1