Displacement and UV maping...please help!

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Pikadili89

Displacement and UV maping...please help!

Post by Pikadili89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:27 am

Hello guys. I am killing myself by trying to solve the problem I got with UV maping and displacement. I am trying (for like ages nows) to figure out how this UV maping works. I want to use one texture as albedo and another one as displacement map. Everything works fine, albedo is selected texture and displacment also, BUT! There is one problem, I can't control the size and dimensions (both vertical and horizontal) of displacement map. I am trying everything I think of, offcourse I tried to follow steps on every tutorial I found but simple can't reach desired result. Can anyone explain me each step of this operation? I am sure it is very easy once you learned it, thanks in advance!
Attachments
Tegola.jpg
And this is displacement map which I can't control :(
Bakar 10.jpg
This is albedo map which works fine
test.jpg
This is result I get, but size of displacement map is, lets say by some default and offcourse not desired one :)

lycium

Re: Displacement and UV maping...please help!

Post by lycium » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:21 am

Hi, the dimensions of the final displacement can be controlled via the texture scale and bias settings. Which exporter are you using?

Pikadili89

Post by Pikadili89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:32 am

I am using SKindigo exporter.....can you explain me more how to control dimensions of displacement map? Couse, when I tried to control it, I done it like this. Paint object with albedo texture, then in indigo material editor I put displacement "texture", pick the texture I want and set UV to 1, then I go to "edit active mesh" and under "UV texture" I pick the texture I seted for displacment map, set the dimensions and scale I want, and then put UV to 1.
And after that I paint it with albedo texture again. What I am doing it wrong? I would really appreciate step by step tutorial, if posible with pictures :) couse my english is not that good and I am not that pro with rendering :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:14 am

Displacement scale refers to the carving depth of the displacement.

If you want to change the repetitions for a texture within Indigo:

- go to the texture editor
- Find the 4 Rotation/Scale parameters

The first and last of them are the U and V scales you may be looking for.
obsolete asset

Pikadili89

Post by Pikadili89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm

I found rotation/scale parameters and it is what I am looking for, thanks a lot mate :). One more question, I thought I can do that within sketchup, with "position texture" and "edit material"....was I wrong? Thanks again for information :)

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:00 am

Actually, you CAN control the scale/rotation of what we call "additional maps" directly in skindigo.

You just need to follow a tutorial by Whaat, explaining the "advanced UVmapping" feature

EDIT: I just took a glimpse to the 3.2 video tuts, and I see there is no "advanced UVmapping" tutorial.
Now, I don't know if we can refer to the old tutorials, or if the advanced UVmapping feature has been somehow developed. Let's wait for Whaat!

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:52 am

Hi guys,

I had started to create a tutorial for advanced UV mapping using SkIndigo. However, as I did, I found some bugs in the code! So, unfortunately, using multiple UV sets is slightly broken right now. You can create multiple UV sets using the right click mesh editor context menu. It works but is a bit buggy.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:59 am

Don't worry. We'll wait until you fix it all :lol:

Pikadili89

Post by Pikadili89 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:33 am

Whaat wrote:Hi guys,

I had started to create a tutorial for advanced UV mapping using SkIndigo. However, as I did, I found some bugs in the code! So, unfortunately, using multiple UV sets is slightly broken right now. You can create multiple UV sets using the right click mesh editor context menu. It works but is a bit buggy.
Hey Whaat, can you just tell me what I am doing wrong with steps I described in my previous comment? I am still trying to figure it out, at least I learned how to control it inside indigo, that is one big relief. :D

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:24 am

Hi Pikadili,

Firstly, you should get all of the faces of the displaced material inside one group if possible, it will make things easier later.

1) Once you have done this, go to mesh settings for this group using the right-click context menu
2) Select a UV set that you want to edit
3) Select a UV texture
4) Edit the texture position using SketchUp's texture positioning tools
5) When you are done, it is recommend to set the UV set back to SU and the UV texture back to 'SketcUp'
6) In the material editor window, make sure you select the correct UV sets using the texture editor dialog.

I hope this makes some sense. :)

Pikadili89

Post by Pikadili89 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 am

Whaat wrote:Hi Pikadili,

Firstly, you should get all of the faces of the displaced material inside one group if possible, it will make things easier later.

1) Once you have done this, go to mesh settings for this group using the right-click context menu
2) Select a UV set that you want to edit
3) Select a UV texture
4) Edit the texture position using SketchUp's texture positioning tools
5) When you are done, it is recommend to set the UV set back to SU and the UV texture back to 'SketcUp'
6) In the material editor window, make sure you select the correct UV sets using the texture editor dialog.

I hope this makes some sense. :)
I am sorry for my really late response but I was busy with my exams and vacation, hope you don't mind couse its this late. I still don't understand whats the problem, I get this error when I press render scene after I done what you wrote here...

A problem occurred with the scene:
Error while building scene: ObjectExcep: Error with material 16: Material tried to use UV set with index 1, geometry only has 1 UV sets. (model UID: 19)

And to be honest I am not sure what that means :D

cee

Post by cee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:16 am

Hi all,

somehow the rotate and scale parameters dont work,

what are 1,2,3,4 and what are the values; integers, degrees?

I tried all but i cannot change my direction of the woodpaneling in 90 degrees and a scaling of the texture to 0,35

Someone can clear this up, and why is the preview not interactively changed to see the new parameters like scaling and rotation too.

gr
C
Attachments
3-12-2012 10-50-14.jpg

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 am

cee wrote:Someone can clear this up, and why is the preview not interactively changed to see the new parameters like scaling and rotation too.
In the Preview you have a TEXTURE preview, the changes you don in 1 to 4 is UV related and changes the behavior of your texture inside the scene.
polygonmanufaktur.de

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 am

it takes four to make a 2x2 matrix.

Less user friendly... wait, no way ^^

It's sohcahtoa on the angles that you are staring at.
Last edited by CTZn on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:07 am

for the sake of seriousness, Indigo will use the data that the exporter has provided if any, it is not meant to be user friendly yet.
obsolete asset

17 posts