SkIndigo 3.2.2 (beta)

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Whaat
Developer

Re: SkIndigo 3.2.2 (beta)

Post by Whaat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Pibuz wrote:Little bug one of my students is experiencing: when specified an exported scene name, Indigo opens and loads it, but then freezes and crashes ("the application has stopped running".., not some C++ error)

Happens only with explicit export name: default.igs wont' cause any problems.

She is running Indigo 3.2.2 free, Skindigo 3.2.2 on Vista 32bits.
Thanks for the report.

Would you be able to provide the exact pathname that your student is trying to export to? Maybe its something to do with non-english characters.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:24 pm

The export name is totally english :D

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:10 am

Ehi Dale: is there a way we can check if automatic instancing feature is actually working or not? I have the suspect it isn't, in one of my scenes..

snorky
Indigo 100

Post by snorky » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:37 am

Pibuz wrote:Ehi Dale: is there a way we can check if automatic instancing feature is actually working or not? I have the suspect it isn't, in one of my scenes..
add a compontent into scene
make a copy (repeat N times)
start render
check:
object mesh
object instance (repeated N times + 1 "start ombject")

that's all

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:43 am

Pibuz wrote:Ehi Dale: is there a way we can check if automatic instancing feature is actually working or not? I have the suspect it isn't, in one of my scenes..
There are some cases where automatic instancing may result in longer export times than the manual method that was used in previous SkIndigo versions. It is difficult to explain why. Basically, if you have lots of instances that only contain a relatively small number of faces, the efficiency gained with automatic instancing is reduced. Efficiency with auto-instancing is also affected with how groups and components are 'nested'. This was not the case with older SkIndigo versions (because typically, the user would 'instance' the top-level component and all sub components would be effectively 'exploded' during the export process)

For greatest export efficiency, try to minimize nested components. Take a look at a leaf component of a tree. You might have 1 trunk x 20 branches x 20 sub-branches x 20 leaves. However, if each leaf only contains two faces, you will have 8000 instances of the leaf but only two faces for each instance.

Now, what if the entire tree is a component and you have 100 copies of it? Now you have 800,000 instances of the leaf component (but only two faces per instance!)

To make export more efficient for this type of scene, you could consider exploding some of the nested components to increase the number of faces that are inside each instance.

To answer your basic question, I assure that instancing IS working with 3.2.2. :)

I hope this was helpful. A tutorial on this would be useful, I bet.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:06 am

I got you completely.
Thanks a lot, I'll try that! I was supposing something similar 8)

66 posts