Material not loaded

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
Coen Naninck

Material not loaded

Post by Coen Naninck » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:19 am

I just posted about this error as a reply to an existing post, but I see the original post was placed in the Tutorial section. Can someone please look at this and help out? The post is located here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 28#p110528

alffrad

Re: Material not loaded

Post by alffrad » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 am

Hello, I´m new at Indigo, so I don't know why this happens, but what I do know is that when I try to load a material directly from Sketchup, Skindigo, Material editor, "Search", sometimes I can't, so basically I just go to the web page here in Indigo find the material, download it to my computer and then pull it from Skindigo, Material editor, "Import".
Hope this helps...

Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:33 pm

It used to work, now it no longer works. I really need this to work again like it did before. I'll email support. Thanks for your assistance though.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:36 am

Coen Naninck wrote:It used to work, now it no longer works. I really need this to work again like it did before. I'll email support. Thanks for your assistance though.
Hi Coen,

Did you try alffrad's method?

Not sure why this feature is not working for you anymore. Did you recently upgrade your OS or make security changes to your computer?

There should be a file called 'wget.exe' located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Plugins\skindigo

If this file is not there, maybe some Windows security feature is blocking it.... :roll:

Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:41 am

Whaat,

There is no wget.exe located in that folder, nor in the SkIndigo installer when I view its contents with 7-zip (a free file compressor and unpacker). So if it's not included in the installer, then where is it? I also checked the RT installer to see if it's in there, but not there either.

Maybe you forgot to pack it in but you're just not seeing the error because wget.exe was still on your hard drive from the previous version of SkIndigo. I'm curious if you can find it.

Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:14 am

CTZn,

I am waiting for my new laptop to arrive and once it does I will reinstall everything and see if the problem persists.

Meanwhile hopefully you can answer me this: My Operating System is Windows 7, 64-bit. If this problem still occurs with the new laptop, then why am I the only one having this problem on Windows 7 64-bit? When (re)installing Windows 7 I do not change any security settings that I know of, the only thing I turn off is UAC (User Account Control) because I find it annoying. So either one of these things is the case: a) No one uses Windows 7 64-bit. Or b) Those with Windows 7 64-bit somehow have other security settings than I do. If the latter is the case, then I like to know how that can happen.

I know support for SkIndigo is voluntary and Whaat is doing this all for free, but in all fairness I bought an Indigo RT license so I could use it with SketchUp to create renders and use all of the functionality of the software. Right now I can't really, not without a workaround anyway. Loading the material separately may work, but I haven't been able to get that to work either. So what I am trying to say is, I hope this is something you guys can address in the next update because at present I can not use part of the product's functionality. Again, I know the exporter is not Glare's concern, because it is developed by a 3rd party (Whaat in this case). Still I hope you resolve this in an update somehow. This may be shortsightedness on my part, but I honestly think that if your customers have to change Windows' security settings that is not a very user friendly solution to a problem that only exists with Indigo. For example not in SketchUp, nor in any other application that I use anyway, do I have to change any security settings of my PC. If the .exe is not included in my security settings then I believe Microsoft did so for good reason. Now to get SkIndigo to work correctly I am required to either use a workaround that doesn't work for me, or waiver my security settings. Surely that can not be intended, right?

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:04 am

Yea Glare should support developers a bit more I agree...
About wget did you try manually with this one already?
http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/

Mileczka

Post by Mileczka » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:44 am

Hello,

I was the one who originally posted this question. And my operating system is also win7 64, in addition I had the same error at my work place with win vista 32.

Coen Naninck wrote:CTZn,

I am waiting for my new laptop to arrive and once it does I will reinstall everything and see if the problem persists.

Meanwhile hopefully you can answer me this: My Operating System is Windows 7, 64-bit. If this problem still occurs with the new laptop, then why am I the only one having this problem on Windows 7 64-bit? When (re)installing Windows 7 I do not change any security settings that I know of, the only thing I turn off is UAC (User Account Control) because I find it annoying. So either one of these things is the case: a) No one uses Windows 7 64-bit. Or b) Those with Windows 7 64-bit somehow have other security settings than I do. If the latter is the case, then I like to know how that can happen.

I know support for SkIndigo is voluntary and Whaat is doing this all for free, but in all fairness I bought an Indigo RT license so I could use it with SketchUp to create renders and use all of the functionality of the software. Right now I can't really, not without a workaround anyway. Loading the material separately may work, but I haven't been able to get that to work either. So what I am trying to say is, I hope this is something you guys can address in the next update because at present I can not use part of the product's functionality. Again, I know the exporter is not Glare's concern, because it is developed by a 3rd party (Whaat in this case). Still I hope you resolve this in an update somehow. This may be shortsightedness on my part, but I honestly think that if your customers have to change Windows' security settings that is not a very user friendly solution to a problem that only exists with Indigo. For example not in SketchUp, nor in any other application that I use anyway, do I have to change any security settings of my PC. If the .exe is not included in my security settings then I believe Microsoft did so for good reason. Now to get SkIndigo to work correctly I am required to either use a workaround that doesn't work for me, or waiver my security settings. Surely that can not be intended, right?

Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 am

Lemo,

Can this wget.exe from the site you reference be trusted? I'm a bit cautious about using 3rd part .exe files, especially if they are offered stand-alone (i.e. not part of another package).

What I don't understand, is why wget.exe is not visible in the SkIndigo.exe installer when I open it with 7-Zip. If it's in there, then where is it located? I can't find it. I can imagine Windows deleted it after the installer has extracted all files, but I don't believe Windows influences contents within 7-Zip because that program uses its own explorer to view files in the .exe archive. Hey I'm just thinking out loud and applying some common sense, I don't pretend to be the know-all. I just can't wrap my head around this problem.

By the way, I tried this on a Windows XP 32-bit machine and got the same problem.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:56 am

I think the fix is to install SkIndigo 3.0.14, because indeed 7zip is showing that wget.exe is missing from 3.0.15. Period. Even then use the installer, do not just extract with 7zip (it's safer for a successfull install IMHO).

edit: perhaps you can just drop the exe from 3.0.14 archive into the 3.0.15 folder ?

As to the assertions regarding exporters developers they are not all true, neither are they totally wrong I think. Someone can create a thread about it if you wish, now that the cat is out.

It is correct to say that I can only talk in my own name here :)
obsolete asset

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:19 am

Coen Naninck wrote:Can this wget.exe from the site you reference be trusted?.
Well I think so
It's one of the mirror listed on a page from gnu.org, which is quite a well-known site
wget is also quite common actually

But you should indeed install the version that includes wget as CTZn said
(he probably meant the opposite btw, go for 3.0.15)

Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:31 pm

CTZn wrote:Even then use the installer, do not just extract with 7zip (it's safer for a successfull install IMHO).
I have always used the installer. The reason I brought up 7-Zip was to let you know that I have checked out the contents of the installer; I figured if Windows did in fact delete wget after the installer finished installing SkIndigo, then at least it had to be included in the installer. That is why I mentioned it was odd 7-Zip also wasn't showing wget, and I was therefore questioning if it was included in the installer at all.
edit: perhaps you can just drop the exe from 3.0.14 archive into the 3.0.15 folder ?
Drop what? wget? This is what I am trying to tell you, I can not find it. I have never seen this file on my computer before. It is not in the installer, it is not anywhere else.
Lemo wrote:But you should indeed install the version that includes wget as CTZn said
(he probably meant the opposite btw, go for 3.0.15)
OK I install 3.0.15 and here are my findings (sigh):
Now the Material problem is gone, however, Indigo now throws an error the moment I launch it from the 'Render with Indigo' button (see attached image).
indigo-error.gif
indigo-error.gif (6.98 KiB) Viewed 7721 times
Edit 2: Indigo doesn't throw this error when I launch it by itself (i.e. not from SkIndigo but via the Start Menu).

Edit: I should add that before installing SkIndigo 3.0.15 I deleted SkIndigo.rb and the SkIndigo folder from my Plugins folder in SketchUp.

Also, please don't take my words personal or bad in any way. I do really appreciate the help here. This is just a frustrating experience for me because I am currently trying to put together portfolio and this problem is holding me up. I've in the meantime worked on other things but I hope that I can resolve this issue soon so that I can start rendering some stuff.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:25 am

I confirm that wget is absent from the 3.0.15 distribution of SkIndigo. Also, Whaat himself declared ski 3.0.15 to be beta and recommended to revert to 3.0.14 whenever issues were met with 3.0.15. I didn't correct Lemo because I thought that you were aware of his mistaken assumption, thanks to 7-zip. No harm, Lemo !

There is no ways your words can be taken wrong, Coen Naninck. You are facing issues and we are to address them, this is it :)
obsolete asset

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:14 am

First off Coen, let me say that Glare and all of the other exporter developers are very much concerned about any issues that you are facing with the software. Thank you CTZn for your assistance in helping me out in the SketchUp forums.

I must apologize as I now see that wget.exe is absent from the (stable) 3.0.14 installer. However, it is included in the 3.0.15 installer which is beta. It is odd that you are getting an error message when you try to render with 3.0.15. I will investigate this.

I must try to get fix together very quickly in order to resolve this issue with wget.

In your case, the quickest solution might be to copy wget.exe from the 3.0.15 distribution and then drop it into the 'skindigo' folder after you have re-installed 3.0.14. It should work fine then.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:13 am

No problem Whaat, I am rather trying to help :)

For an unknown reason while downloading SkIndigo, archives names were exchanged. I swear that what I said was correct, locally to my computer. I redownloaded 3.0.15 and the archive size was eloquent as well, archives were swapped for me. Weird.

My excuses.
obsolete asset

18 posts