parts of model disappear when rendering

Announcements, requests and support regarding SkIndigo - the Sketchup / Indigo exporter.
d.eder

Post by d.eder » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 pm

hi. i just started to put some materials on a sketchup model i did yesterday. by rendering it for tests i got some unexpected results.
what might have happened? sketchup problem or skindigo mistake or indigo error or my own guilt?
thanks i advance for any help i get!

david

oh buy the way:
mac osx 10.6.6
sketchup pro [expired] 8.0.4810
indigo 2.4.13 64-bit
Attachments
_sketchup_model2.png
_indigo_result2.jpg
_indigo_result.jpg
_sketchup_model.png
Last edited by d.eder on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

d.eder

Re: weird render results

Post by d.eder » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:05 pm

hi. could somebody give me a hint where to find an answer? im not so good in english and so im not so good at searching forums either.
thanks

wojtek-w

Post by wojtek-w » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 am

hi,
i understand that there are 2 issues:
1.only a part of Your model is being renderer - > when some object is selectend during export skindigo asks about rendering all scene or selected items only. Before export, make sure that no object is selected or click 'no' when prompted
2.there are wierd black areas on Your render -> back sides of surfaces may not render propely. Make sure that all visible surfaces are directed front side to camera (in other words check normals). Also make sure that Your surfaces don't overlap - this may cause errors

good luck

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:16 am

hi. could somebody give me a hint where to find an answer?
Hi d.eder,

You can also help in advance people helping you in answering faster, by naming the problems and formulating questions. Also if you come to a solution it would become usefull to others when things are named since the thread will be archived in the future.

Thank you, thanks wojtek-w
obsolete asset

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Eder!
Welcome to the community!

....usual question...did you read my FAQs, first of all? If not, DO!

Make a very short search in the forum (skindigo section) and you will find some basic starter documentation. Then, come back here with all of your doubts.

I'm a win user, btw, so I don't know how to solve mac problems, I fear... :(

Soup

Post by Soup » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Pibuz wrote:....usual question...did you read my FAQs, first of all? If not, DO!

Make a very short search in the forum (skindigo section) and you will find some basic starter documentation. Then, come back here with all of your doubts.
Have you got a link Pibuz? I'm always lurking for more FAQs and general helpful stuff :)

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:37 pm

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=5173

It's very old stuff Soup, but con be of little help for beginners :wink:

d.eder

Post by d.eder » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:16 am

Hi. thanks for the answers. but i'm still stuck.

i'm quite familiar with the "rules" of indigo. so my faces are oriented in the correct direction, no surfaces are overlapping in this model (never had problems with overlapping surfaces in earlier models). nothing was selected before exporting, of course!
CTZn wrote:You can also help in advance people helping you in answering faster, by naming the problems and formulating questions.
sorry for that. i don't know how to make myself clearer... i just never had problems like this before and i'm not sure if this is a question or a bug report.

@pibuz:
i'm not new to sketchup & skindigo or ingigo... well i've used it regularly for little more than a year now. haven't read your faq's yet though. let's see if it helps me.

thanks for the help anyway.

if anyone had a problem like this and found a solution, please let me know

Soup

Re: parts of model disappear when rendering

Post by Soup » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:35 am

You need to define exactly which part of the results you think are 'unexpected'. Is it that part of the scene appears to be missing? The black triangles? Something else?

d.eder

Post by d.eder » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:04 pm

well i thought this was obvious. thats why there are screenshots of the sketchup model as well. everything in the sketchup model is supposed to be seen. and nothing is supposed to have black stains.
btw i tried rendering the modell with the sketchup standard material only. the result was without stains and everything visible. in the model that has errors i only used sketchup and indigo-website materials.
what might have went wrong?

little question, because i still don't get correct results. i like to group model parts A LOT. could it be that indigo doesn't like that?

thanks
david

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:16 pm

As a last solution, you could share the model, so we can directly see what's wrong...

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:32 am

Did you apply a material with displacement/subdivision?

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 am

Someone using blender just reported a similar issue with Indigo 2.6.1, that's something I didn't see for long. Here's my answer, doesn't mean it's relevant though (a bit more if you replace "blendigo" with "SkIndigo"):
Indigo has two methods to build geometries in memory, the setting might be in the advanced options of blendigo if present. It is a threshold in poly count; if an object has less triangles than that it uses one method, more it will use the other.

One of the method may be faulty but you can force the other by setting an extreme threshold value. Try with zero and if it's not better try a very big number, like 10000000.

The mentionned tag name in the igs is <bih_tri_threshold>.
Hope that helps.
obsolete asset

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:46 am

David,

In your message above you stated that when rendered with the Sketchup material only the render was fin but problems started when you replaced some of the Sketchup materials with MAterials from the Indigo Material Database. Did I interpret that correctly ?

The reason for the strange results may well be one or more of the Indigo Database materials so I woud suggest you remove those one by one and see how that impacts your render results.

I think that not all of the materials in the matDB are necessarily useable with the newer Indigo releases.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Could be a layers issue. I think SkIndigo has an issue when faces are inside groups and not on layer 0. Make sure that all your faces are on layer 0. Groups and components can be on any layer.

16 posts