August 2012 competition - final renders

Discussion forum for the bi-monthly Indigo Competition.
fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Please post/upload your final competition images here!

For competition discussion please use the main competition thread, thanks.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: August 2012 competition - final renders

Post by Pibuz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Here is my entries. I've rendered only one image, and I present two lighting situations. The image has rendered for around 60hours on an old (but faithful) q6600, 8500x5171 pixels, Supersample=1, 6 light layers, BiDir+MLT mode, no glasses on the windows and Exit Portals on.
The high resolution has been chosen to enhance the small details, and to ensure the possibility of a resizing in the postproduction phase to get rid of the remaining noise. At the end, the PNG images out-of-the-box were about 80MB each. As requested, I post the 2 final images and also the original shots: only postpro over the original shots is size reduction (from 8500 to 2500) and transformation from PNG to JPG.

I keep seeing errors over errors in the final images, but sadly I have no more time for this cool competition, so I wish everybody luck and enjoy my little work!
Attachments
_day_final.jpg
_late afternoon_final.jpg
_day_original.jpg
_late afternoon_original.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:05 am

Outstanding work! :D

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Awesome work Pibuz, really stunning level of texture detail and some gorgeous lighting. Top work.

From the sublime to mine! They're a bit of an amateur pile, but here they are nonetheless. First competition I've entered on here and I wasn't even intending to bother, but I found myself sucked in - once I'd started I got carried away trying to complete something. So, this is my attempt to do something a little different from what I suspected would be a large amount of glorious shiny interiors, largely in part because I can't compete with anyone on here when it comes to renders of glorious shiny interiors ( :lol: ), but mainly because I just love old decaying buildings. My job means I often spend time in derelict structures surveying and I love the dirt, the filth, the lighting and atmosphere, the mysterious things left behind, the strange sense of lives lived and gone in these places, a weight of history and the inexorable passage of time.

You'll have to forgive the errors in the bump map on the plank floor. As noted in the WIP thread its a consequence of cutting irregular faces into a flat plane in Sketchup (for example where I've put the water), has a habit of randomly screwing any bump/displacement maps on the adjacent texture. I suppose if I had time I could smooth them out in Photoshop, but I don't. Until I learn blend maps I'll have to live with it. Just pretend they're where roots have grown and distorted the floor from below :wink:

Like Pibuz, only one view, but with different cameras to give differing atmosphere. Resolution 2500 x 1440 pixels, Env Map lighting on 1 light layer, BiDir+MLT mode, Super sample = 3, no glass on the majority of the windows apart from the main arched one to the right which has some simple 'dirt' textures made in Photoshop, given a low opacity and turned diffuse. Rendered for 65 hours on an Intel Xeon W3530. Probably didn't need that long with only one light source and simple materials, but I left it running over the weekend whilst I was away. No post pro.
IndigoComp2012Final4.jpg
IndigoComp2012Final.jpg
IndigoComp2012FinalBW.jpg

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Don't know if it's my screen but first and third images seem a little too dark here.. That's indeed something which really fits in your theme (!) but still some of your detailing work is lost for sure.. BTW, I really like the concept, although I must say that it is indeed complex, and I think you should have spent more time on this project.

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:51 am

Ah, time. There's never enough of it is there. In this case, I've spent too long on it already - considering I have been extremely busy with work lately its a miracle I got any images to a level of completion for submission.

And agreed, the first image is very dark, deliberately so. On my monitor its not so dark as to obscure everything, although it does hide a fair bit, particularly in the upper corners - but I rather liked the atmosphere in the gloom, hence its inclusion. I guess its all partly subjective at the end of the day.

To be honest, its a very simple scene, done fairly quickly; its not 'best of indigo', but its been fun to produce and if that's all I can take from the competition then I'm still happy.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:31 am

Great entries Pibuz, Bosseye, I like the direction you brought the scene to. Fits perfectly with my reboot of S.T.A.L.K.E.R SOC :mrgreen:
obsolete asset

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Comp entry; Casual Room/Kids Play Area
Polycount: 5,336,457 (3dsMax)

Render settings: BiDir MLT, SuperSample 4
Image settings: Splat (mn_cubic: 0.33, 0.33), Downsize (mn_cubic: 0.5, 0.0)

Rendertime: 34h (4979spp, 200k samples/s)
Light Layers: 4
RAM Usage: 10.6GB

Resolution: 3000x1687 (no resize)
Postpro: Yes (secret!!)

Modelled a few more items and alteration of layout before completion.

--

Edited as per request.
Attachments
ORIGINAL_Interior_combined_1 (2).jpg
Interior_combined_1 (2).jpg
Interior_combined_2.jpg
Last edited by tar_gniK on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:16 pm

GREAT! Some more info if you can: render (original) resolution?
number of light layers? modeling package?

The render is quite clean, that is cool! I really like the general feeling and the small details!
I see a diffuse foggy: is that postproduction or it comes directly from the rendering process through sort of a bloom effect?

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:38 am

awsome work tar_gniK, may I ask how you did the lighting and what was your cam response setting?
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 am

Sweet!
I would have reduced the bump of the floor a lot... but very nice and great details!
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:08 am

Mor4us wrote:awsome work tar_gniK, may I ask how you did the lighting and what was your cam response setting?
Thanks; It was quite straightforward -- hid the windows (as advised in the WIP thread) and used a HDRI map.

The main camera response settings for the render were: apx400CD, with 9300 whitepoint. But I actually blended two separate camera response settings in order to achieve the tone I desired.

Zeit, reducing the bump... hmm, quite subjective, but point taken! :wink:

vl_dm

Post by vl_dm » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 am

Hello,

There are great entries allready! Recently I found Indigo and I'm happy working with it.
Sorry for the grainy night image. It renders a little bit slow.
It is done on Indigo 3.2.14-trial version. Rendered for 32-44 hours for the different images with BidirMtl, 220k samples/s, 5 light layers and no postproduction. I hope you will like it.
Attachments
01 morning.jpg
02 day.jpg
03 night.jpg

Prof4D

Post by Prof4D » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:50 am

All regard.Here is my final scene,without post of the processing while one.
Render 40 hours.Rest two tomorrow.
Bidirectional with MLT
Attachments
Indigo Competition - Materials & Lighting_Prob_3_VID2_Original.jpg
Indigo Competition - Materials & Lighting_Original.jpg
Indigo Competition _Gotov_40hasov.jpg
Last edited by Prof4D on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrianozeni

Post by adrianozeni » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

Here goes mine... It's my first render and unfortunately i don't have time to do more things, just with too much work here...
Tell me what you guys think...
Thanks!
Attachments
teste_indigo_by_adriano_zeni.jpg

34 posts