August 2012 competition - final renders

Discussion forum for the bi-monthly Indigo Competition.
lar111

Re: August 2012 competition - final renders

Post by lar111 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:56 pm

And heres my entry. Three different views
MLT/Bir with exit portals
Rendered to about 10 000spp, approx 8 - 10 hours

What you see here is the original resolution 1260x787, planned on rendering them larger, but time got away from me.
Attachments
icdone3.jpg
icdone2.jpg
icdone1.jpg

Antonis777

Post by Antonis777 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Here is my entry, after 72 (!) hours of rendering I completed just one render... I prepared two more but I don't have time to get them cleaned... Too bad. First picture is original render only sun & sky. Used bidirectional mlt. Second one is final with env map cause it was too heavy to do it with one shot (yes I know my computer sucks)! Wish you all good luck, very nice renders.
Attachments
1.jpg
Indigo Contest.jpg

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Here is my contribution guys.

I focused on the TV set area of the scene and tried to create some filled "lived in" area that isn't so organized like usual catalog shots and ArchViz renderings...
I wanted to create a scene where the viewer has to watch a little longer then usual, since there are a lot of details to find :)

I rendered for over 7h with PT+BiDir and SS of 3, used Indigos PostPro AD to smooth out the image a little,
a HDRI was used light the first image and a emitter image for the TV screen.
The models are mostly from free online sources and stuff I bought from Design Connected, model + model and Arroway Textures.
Since this is a materials & lighting competition I focused on that.... well, mostly on interesting materials ^^

The area of the coffee steam was Region rendered and combined in PS, since Indigo realy don't likes non step-blend blending with a null material :/
I also region rendered the bottom Part of the glass table since the noise on the dark Phong was quite high...

The first final image, with some minor color correction in PS to warm up the light a little.
view_01_final_PS.jpg
Just some minor color correction in PS to warm up the light a little.
Pure Indigo output:
view_01_final_mix.jpg
The pure Indigo output.

**EDIT**
As announced just in time, here is my second image, rendered for over 9h:

The second image, desaturated due to quite extreme camera tonemapping :)
view_02_final_PS.jpg
Desaturated and tweaked in PS
Pure Indigo output:
view_02.jpg
The pure Indigo output.
Last edited by Zom-B on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 pm

..tell me the photos on the bookshelf is about you and your keen! That would be really precious!

BTW, I must say I'm amazed by the potential of a simple single tone composition. My effort are always to put more than a lightsource to make the image more dynamic, but then I see masterpieces like this, where there seems to be no more than ONE lightsource (but I might totally be wrong: please correct me!). There is indeed plenty of small details in here, and it's wonderful to discover them! In my search for lost details, I also spotted no skirting on the left though, and THAT IS A BAAAAAD OVERSIGHT! :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry: architect.....).
AD adds a very nice warm feeling to the scene, nice catch! And I'm always envious about the hair and fur modifier (you model in Max right?): no such tool in SU (IKNOW-IKNOW: there's the fur plugin but no way that it's the same thing!)

Congratulations!

noelyone

Post by noelyone » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey guys,
Here's my final entry.... Skindigo, 8 hours rendering time, no post work in photoshop. Some really sweet renders done by you guys! VERY inspiring!!! Good luck everyone!
Best,
Noel
Attachments
Indigo Competition HIGH RES.jpg

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Pibuz wrote:..tell me the photos on the bookshelf is about you and your keen! That would be really precious!
yes, the photos are from my personal collection ^^
Pibuz wrote:BTW, I must say I'm amazed by the potential of a simple single tone composition. My effort are always to put more than a lightsource to make the image more dynamic, but then I see masterpieces like this, where there seems to be no more than ONE lightsource (but I might totally be wrong: please correct me!).
The TV screen is a second but very dim lightsource here... I try to keep lightning simple in such "one room" scenarios, since more lightsources tend to flatten out the whole atmosphere for me.
Pibuz wrote:I also spotted no skirting on the left though, and THAT IS A BAAAAAD OVERSIGHT! :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry: architect.....).
well, the curtains are there... but out of camera sight ;)
Pibuz wrote:And I'm always envious about the hair and fur modifier (you model in Max right?): no such tool in SU (IKNOW-IKNOW: there's the fur plugin but no way that it's the same thing!)
I work with C4D, and the credits for the carpet go to dcm, who I get that poly heavy RAM eating monster from.
polygonmanufaktur.de

waz

Post by waz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Hello :D
Great entries in this competition!
This is my contribution.
Rendered for 60 hours (6000spp), path tracing with mlt, resolution at 2880x2160, super sampling factor 3, 2 light layers.
The two carpets with displace killed my hardware :wink: .
Here is the original file and the file with postpro (Gimp + Motiva).
Hi at all 8)
Walter
Attachments
original.jpg
postpro.jpg

rebkhya

Post by rebkhya » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:06 am

Hello! It's the fist time that i trying indigo, so this my little contribution. The image has rendered for around 6 hours, two hdri light, cpu path, blender 2.63. The different models found everywhere on the net and some are of me. the parquet and the different texture it's me. I hope you enjoy. :) . English is not my language.
Attachments
indigo-compete-final-result.jpeg

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 am

So here are my entries too.

I tried to create a comfortable but modern living room, by seperating the chill-out area with sofa to the dining table.
This is my first project with Indigo. I would have loved to render these images more hires to show much more detail in materials and modeling.
Thanks again to Zom-B who invited me to this competition and motivated me to join with demo and try out Indigo.

Hope you like it :wink:
Attachments
final_1.jpg
final_2.jpg
final_3.jpg
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

CeskyHans

Post by CeskyHans » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:23 am

Hi,
here is my competition renders. I´ve made them with Cindigo and Cinema R12. It is my first work with Indigo.
Rendertime: 4hours for each picture (core i7, only CPU mode, MLT with BiDir), resolution 1200x650pix.
postprocess: in PS, only curves and sharpening
Have a nice day,
Honza
Attachments
15-2.jpg
wide ciew
16-3.jpg
detail 1
17-5.jpg
detail 2

polygonmode

Post by polygonmode » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 am

You open the door to your freshly bought new apartment. Here you spent the last days and nights to make everything new. You enter the room, going to be your livingroom.

Oh crap, its looking exactly the same, like you left last night. And you forgot the close the window. But its ok, there is even some dust in the air. In your mind, everything was easier, cleaner, faster. But it doesnt matter, you want to create something special. So move on!

This is my entry for this competition and the first real project, done with Indigo. I was using C4D ,the charming plugin and the trial version of indigo. Was working perfect. Luckily i had the chance to make one full-rez rendering this night on 2 computers in a company with a full version. After playing around with Indigo, it was really convincing to really work with the combination of C4D and Indigo.

Facts:
2 LightLayers, 2000x2000 px, BiDir PT, 14 hours, around 7,2k samples--->could bake longer

I saved 4 renderings with different exposuresetting and combined them in PS.

Cheers and thank you for this competition, Carsten
Attachments
Final_Komp.jpg
final image
renderings_indigo.jpg
different exposures
check my site: www.polygonmode.com

leythecg

Post by leythecg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:29 am

Hope i'm right here, have had lot of troubles with hard- and software, and my amd seems not fast enough to finish the contest. I've been used indi rt with max 2011, with no post, most of furnitures are created by myself except the speakers and the glas table which are from your default scene. my vision of this scene was a lobby in a penthouse in barcelona, spain. I have never worked as a professionell 3d artist, but 3d it's my passion since first meeting with povray. please excuse my english, if you hav any questions, go ahead

wish you a nice, sunny weekend

Theo

p.s. sorry, lost alot of details : The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 500 KiB?
Attachments
contest_08_12_fin.jpg

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 am

Ehi Carsten! Quite nice image! I just LOVE the dust on the floor, easter egg included ;)
Is that a blendmat? Lighting by sun/sky or hdr?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:29 am

leythecg wrote: p.s. sorry, lost alot of details : The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 500 KiB?
..500kb? Me myself have uploaded a quite larger images, and I also see more from other contestants! :roll:

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 am

had this problem too, seems this 500kb limitation is for png files only
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

34 posts