August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Discussion forum for the bi-monthly Indigo Competition.
156 posts
fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Post by fused » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:26 pm

FoXar wrote:@ fused, maybe you should also add in the first post that my file doesn't include furniture.
Done :)

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:50 am

fused wrote:
FoXar wrote:@ fused, maybe you should also add in the first post that my file doesn't include furniture.
Done :)
Okay cool, btw, I only changed the size of 1 window and I interpret the pilars as a woodworked frame around a rough pole. I found that the room had a similar layout found in many loft-type condo's made out of old industrial buildings.
Although the room is exact the same except for the window and columns (which I took back to their bare function), I kept feeling all the time "I'm going to get disqualified for this"..

So here's the picture, and 2 lines back was my question...
343.jpg
Cheers,
Roo Evans

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:53 am

You WILL get disqualified but it's so cool! :D

Tell us sketchupper some more please: how do you manage the heavy couch in the scene, for example ;)
Is that an external OBJ? Does it come from a collection?

It is a great start, jokes apart I'd love to see you in the competition :)

BTW, this is something very WIP I've been putting together these last two days, a bigger one is cooking for tomorrow.
Is it allowed to get some tips from forum pals during competitions?
Attachments
im1345824958.jpg

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 am

Pibuz wrote:You WILL get disqualified but it's so cool! :D

Tell us sketchupper some more please: how do you manage the heavy couch in the scene, for example ;)
Is that an external OBJ? Does it come from a collection?

It is a great start, jokes apart I'd love to see you in the competition :)
Haha I really hope not, it does change the appearance of the room, but it still the same room,
just stripped to the bone. I'm really looking at it as an interior designer, empty the whole room
first of woodworking stuff (cabinets, doors, frames around sustaining poles,..)
Than I looked at the windows and I saw there was just a thin, non-sustaining wall under the arc window, so that should be removable without harming the sustainability of the building itself.

And no, I'm not defending myself, not at all... ahum ahum

About the sofa, yes it is super heavy! Comes from designconnected and it's directly loaded into the SU file,
I have 2 layers: 'dummy' and 'high poly'.. I guess you can make out the rest, I activate the high poly for rendering and disable it for working in SU, makes (Auto)saving a long time pain sometimes..

Most possibly I could also just save 2 files, 1 for working and the other for modeling, so when it's finished I import one into another.

Thanks! I'd really great to also see you in the competition. Got anything you'd want to share with your fellow SketchUp'ers?

EDIT: I saw you just added a picture now.
Looking good, I see you also have a lot of very detailed models in there. I really like the style you're working on, although it looks a bit cramped. I really like the design bookcase you have on the left but it makes the space feel a lot smaller. I dig the privacy that it gives though..

Cheers,
Roo Evans

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:41 pm

FoXar wrote:"I'm going to get disqualified for this"..
I would say you pushed the changes to much yes...
Anyway, great couch... why not with pillars and original windows?! Thats the clue about that... you simply do a own interior with the same aspect ratio ^^

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Zom-B wrote:
Anyway, great couch... why not with pillars and original windows?! Thats the clue about that... you simply do a own interior with the same aspect ratio ^^
The architecture hasn't changed, it's still the same room. Those pillasters in the original model are decorative coverings for the real columns anyway, so changing them is purely cosmetic.

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:55 pm

StompinTom wrote:
Zom-B wrote:
The architecture hasn't changed, it's still the same room. Those pillasters in the original model are decorative coverings for the real columns anyway, so changing them is purely cosmetic.
As StompinTom said, the pillars are indeed purely cosmetic (from an interior design perspective), windows shouldn't be considered as architecture in this case, as they're purely fittings. In this example it would be a whole other story though: http://th08.deviantart.net/fs34/PRE/f/2 ... v_arts.jpg

The only thing considered as a change to architecture is the half round window.
The arch is supporting the structure here, which means the wall/windows under the archs are just
placed that way on a cosmetic base. Although I will revert it when the judges tell me to do so as I consider this as a "softcore" architecture change.

Cheers,
Roo Evans

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:40 pm

I really don't think that the changes Roo made to the room actually make the architecture unrecognizable.
I started the competition thinking that nothing could be heavily changed, though, even if the basic model doesn't fit my taste of contemporary architect :D So I kept the columns and the windows as they are, and tried instead to imagine a more "classic" environment (see the questionable attempt on the ceiling..), completing with moder furniture where possible. That has been my approach, maybe I sticked too much to the rules, and I support Roo approach 100%.

This is a wip section, isn't it, so I post another small WIP (man, it takes ages to clean! have to update my HW.....)
I'm not convinced AT ALL by the bookcase on the left, and somehow also by the camera angle. I'm tinking about moving a little to the left, in order to see more floor (well, I like it and we're able to see only a small part of it..), and not to give the table this great meaning in the scene.

Also, I wanted to give a little more life to the ceiling on the left, now it's too dark.

And I don't know what to put on the table. Also, I'm not sure about the table material itself......... Man, am I unsettled! Please guys, some advices if you want!
Attachments
im1345824961.jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:15 am

Hey Pibuz, I agree that the view is quite obstructed, by the table and even further.

Does "same room" mean: same volume ? same walls ? The precision is important imho to prevent totally frustration.

Restrictions are good as opposed to confusion. Either windows now come in two flavour or they can be changed further. This must be clearly stated because the challenge is about lighting also, and we want the same restrictions to apply to everybody don't we.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:29 am

My room is exactly the same. No changes at all (the small changes, I think, may come from the 99% accuracy of foXar model). But I think that changing a window isn't that big change after all. We could think to stick the rules to "NO CHANGES: only furnishing!", but I really think that in that case this could strongly limit the imagination and ideas of the contestants. There's an interior designer in each one of us :)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:44 am

Pibuz wrote:My room is exactly the same. No changes at all (the small changes, I think, may come from the 99% accuracy of foXar model). But I think that changing a window isn't that big change after all. We could think to stick the rules to "NO CHANGES: only furnishing!", but I really think that in that case this could strongly limit the imagination and ideas of the contestants. There's an interior designer in each one of us :)
I think half the fun is in the interpretation of the rules.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 am

Italians in general think like this :D

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 am

Ok then, stick with that:)

dcm

Post by dcm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:50 am

I cant use any OBJ . After import i see...i cant name it, its big undefined object.

edit : why you are offering 3ds format ? Its useless for such a big scenes.

Please, post correct OBJs.

Im using 3ds max

edit 2 : i opened 3ds, it has 6,5 MILION of polys, my viewport is freezing, probably that carpet is so huge but impossible to delete it. Also model is baaad.

I hope you guys will post proper obj

vl_dm

Post by vl_dm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:20 am

I can post you the Roo's file exported to 3ds - it has 361000 polys, unless you need the furniture. The carpet has 3000000 polys and many of the objects of the original 3ds have fliped faces
Attachments
Indigo Optimized max 9.rar
(2.86 MiB) Downloaded 163 times
IndigoOptimized 3ds.rar
(2.66 MiB) Downloaded 168 times

156 posts