August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Discussion forum for the bi-monthly Indigo Competition.
Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Post by Mor4us » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:38 pm

hey folks,
i'm not a indigo user at all but i've always loved the photorealism of the renderings a lot of people achieved with it, espacially in arch viz. the more i'm happy i can join with the demo! :D
so a friend of mine bumped me into this contest to try first steps with indigo.
would love to get all comments and criticism i can get to improve my skills!
I'm really sorry for the distracting watermarks

regards
Attachments
wip7_1.jpg
wip6.jpg

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 pm

CTZn wrote:As for the 3ds file as imported by Maya (using bonusTools), "bianco" is among the few mangled meshes with "zylin1", 3 5 and 7.

"bianco" has many small faces, including 8 lamina faces in the tv shelf block. The exporter may be able to overlook something about those ?

No biggie tho. Oh, the linear scale is not specified into the obj file d;
Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "mangled"?

I just checked the 3ds (with several programs) and the meshes look exactly like in the original scene.

edit: I think I see what you mean. Tried the 3ds in blender and it also had some problems with it.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Mor4us wrote:hey folks,
i'm not a indigo user at all but i've always loved the photorealism of the renderings a lot of people achieved with it, espacially in arch viz. the more i'm happy i can join with the demo! :D
so a friend of mine bumped me into this contest to try first steps with indigo.
would love to get all comments and criticism i can get to improve my skills!
I'm really sorry for the distracting watermarks

regards
Hi Mor4us,

looks great so far!
If you render in a resolution <= 0.7 MP (1000x700, for example), you only get a single watermark in the bottom right corner (unless you use an integration, IndigoMax or Indigo for C4D. In that case you will always have these watermarks. You should be able to export the scene and render with the standalone Indigo, tho).

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Hey guys! I'm entering the competition, although the model is far from being "optimized" to work with in SketchUp. Can I remodel the whole thing and I'll make sure to share the whole thing! Only thing is:
"- No changes to the architecure allowed."

And I might be a centimeter off when remodeling, although I won't change anything, it'll most probably be 99% accurate. Is that okay? As I'll share it you can triple check if it complies to the original model off course ;)

Cheers,
Roo Evans

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm

FoXar wrote:Hey guys! I'm entering the competition, although the model is far from being "optimized" to work with in SketchUp. Can I remodel the whole thing and I'll make sure to share the whole thing! Only thing is:
"- No changes to the architecure allowed."

And I might be a centimeter off when remodeling, although I won't change anything, it'll most probably be 99% accurate. Is that okay? As I'll share it you can triple check if it complies to the original model off course ;)

Cheers,
Roo Evans
Hey FoXar,

if you could do that, that would be great! I can also make a super minimal SketchUp scene from the original scene. Just the walls and nothing else, if that helps.

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 pm

fused wrote: Hey FoXar,

if you could do that, that would be great! I can also make a super minimal SketchUp scene from the original scene. Just the walls and nothing else, if that helps.
Okay great! I'm already busy making it! "Just the walls and nothing else", been there, done that! So no need for it anymore, thanks anyways! I hope to have it finished in an hour or 2, depends on how far I'll be remodeling everything.. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Roo Evans
Cheers,
Roo Evans

Antonis777

Post by Antonis777 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Am I allowed to push back this part of the wall like this? Is it considered to be as a changing of the architecture?
Attachments
Διαγωνισμός.jpg
Last edited by Antonis777 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Antonis777 wrote:Am I allowed to push back this part of the wall like this? Is it considered to be as a changing of the architecture?
Hi Antonis: here's what I said to StompinTom about it:
fused wrote:
StompinTom wrote:I'm in ;)

EDIT: To what extent is 'No changes to the architecure allowed.' defined? I mean, does that just mean the layout / design of the space? The frames and crown molding around the column are fair play? What about detailing / modification to the wall / ceiling surfaces?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to see where the line is drawn ;)
Hm, good question. I guess everything you mentioned should be OK, just make sure the you can still tell it's the same room :)
So I think your change should be fine. "just make sure the you can still tell it's the same room :)"

Antonis777

Post by Antonis777 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks a lot!

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 am

fused wrote:
Antonis777 wrote:Am I allowed to push back this part of the wall like this? Is it considered to be as a changing of the architecture?
Hi Antonis: here's what I said to StompinTom about it:
fused wrote:
StompinTom wrote:I'm in ;)

EDIT: To what extent is 'No changes to the architecure allowed.' defined? I mean, does that just mean the layout / design of the space? The frames and crown molding around the column are fair play? What about detailing / modification to the wall / ceiling surfaces?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to see where the line is drawn ;)
Hm, good question. I guess everything you mentioned should be OK, just make sure the you can still tell it's the same room :)
So I think your change should be fine. "just make sure the you can still tell it's the same room :)"
It's cuz you could get into a long and drawn out argument about what precisely constitutes the architecture here ;)

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:51 am

Here you go folks, I hope this might help a lot of you guys as the scene was just unusable.
Nearly everything is modeled from scratch, and if not it has been heavily cleaned up!
All details and beveling has been kept ;)
I did delete all the furniture though, as I won't be using that.

Now I do have some questions, as I see there are some things that can be changed, can you change the design of the windows (dividers and such), and is it even possible to change the sizes of the window?
110.jpg
IndigoOptimized.zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 471 times
Cheers,
Roo Evans

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 pm

FoXar wrote:Here you go folks, I hope this might help a lot of you guys as the scene was just unusable.
Nearly everything is modeled from scratch, and if not it has been heavily cleaned up!

Now I do have some questions, as I see there are some things that can be changed, can you change the design of the windows (dividers and such), and is it even possible to change the sizes of the window?
110.jpg
IndigoOptimized.zip
Cheers,
Roo Evans
Thanks Roo!

Will add your SketchUp scene to the first post.

Regarding changing the windows: Look at what I told Antonis777 and StompinTom. Basically "just make sure the you can still tell it's the same room :)".

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm

FoXar wrote:Here you go folks, I hope this might help a lot of you guys as the scene was just unusable.

Cheers,
Roo Evans
Ehi Roo!
Thank you very much! You've done a great work, really!

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:02 am

I was waiting for this for some time :D
Downloading demo ...

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm glad I could help fused and Pibuz! I hope others can enjoy it too ;)

@ fused, maybe you should also add in the first post that my file doesn't include furniture.

Cheers,
Roo Evans

156 posts