August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Discussion forum for the bi-monthly Indigo Competition.
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Post by Pibuz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 am

(Added a useful HDR site)

You know that skindigo materials support additional maps, don't you?
Common additional maps are bump map and exponent maps (specular is an incorrect name, speaking about Indigo: wonder why Lycium didn't kick my *ss); additional maps really enhance the appearance of your materials, changing the way the light bounces off them. That is why I usually make every phong material in the scene a little "uneven": the additional maps make the surfaces look like they're "consumed" (see the surface of the round table or the light reflection on the columns and the ceiling).

In general, however, I've seen that a good (photorealistic) base texture (diffuse map) generally leads to nice results, so lately I've been raiding the CGtextures site, looking for all kinds of textures. They've got plenty, but you'll have to spend some time on them to make them seamless and so tileable. Done that, you can extrapolate all the exp, bump and displ maps you need!

Glad to be of any help! If you need further assistance please ask!

noelyone

Post by noelyone » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:24 am

Cheers Pibuz!
I'll admit I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to bump maps, I know of them and I know where the tutorial is but haven't gotten around to learning the technique yet :S
All the best
Noel

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:37 am

noelyone wrote:Hey guys,
Thought I'd upload my WIP for some comments.... looking for some advice on the realism angle! I'm also interested in what camera setting you guys use for your renders? I tend to go with Advantix-100... Pibuz, if you get this message, where do you get your HDR environment map from? I'd also appreciate your advice on planting - you mentioned something about OBJs? I use sketchup like you but not sure on where to begin with OBJs!!!??? How does it work?
Cheers
Noel
It's very successful noelyone. My crit would go to the bottles count wich emphazises on the relatively low res/low quality of their respectives model and textures.
obsolete asset

noelyone

Post by noelyone » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks ctzn, I reduced the resolution massively in photoshop for the purpose of getting some feedback. The real file is 5mb and everything is sharper. Glad you like it, cheers!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:18 am

fused wrote:... and entries can be submitted no later than Thursday the 6th of September.
Could somebody please define the actual MEZ time?! :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:41 am

As long as it's Thursday somewhere - i.e., we'll look at the results on Friday afternoon / early evening :)

JK

Post by JK » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:51 am

Hey there... My second post here but never had a chance for a propper greeting. So... Hey!

Well I'm using Indigo for a while now, dont know like couple of months. Still i never made a project that would fully satisfy me. I thought of this competition as a way to improve my poor skills a bit. There's a story behind this one but I'll keep it to myself till final render is done. Then I'll post it :wink:

I used like 2 or 3 textures from the material database, mainly due to lack of skills in searching good textures like you guys do here all the time. Couple of models from the sketchup model repository were used - tweaked for this scene. Robotic arm made with Artisan(thx Whaat!).

Im working on some more wires and cables now + ceiling (just a couple of details on it, but it takes a while when you do it for the first time ;) ) + some little thingies like glasses, cuz the room is kinda empty now.

I never used any advanced rendering software before(you can't call AutoCAD 2008 renderer advanced do you? ;) ). This is my first approach. Always loved Sci-Fi and fantasy. Texturing so many morphic shapes is a bitch though.

It's 500SPP, done with Bidir Path Tracing, 3 Supersample Factor. I know it's noisy and some objects fly(TV screens for example) but I'll fix things like that :)

Cheers
Attachments
test9.jpg

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Somehow the tmosphere reminds me a mixture of "I am legend" and "Minority report".
Tell us more about the fog!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Pibuz wrote:Somehow the atmosphere reminds me a mixture of "I am legend" and "Minority report".
Tell us more about the fog!
I had "Blade Runner" in mind, but also from Philip K. Dick ^^

JK

Post by JK » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey.

Well i had to read a couple of things about SSS, tried to achieve that with a blend material before with no satisfying result. All things on the model took me like 2 weeks of reading before I even started. Light travels through a specular materiall with SSS - just had to tweak it a little bit - it's from the database, cant really remember the name right now. All windows 'exit portalled' ;).

Bout the mood. I started up with a fantasy scene - devastated building, shiny shrooms everywhere - generally staff u see when u take too much medicine of some sort(Alice in Wonderland - this movie is a best representative). Couldnt texture the shrooms right though, so I gave up after a week. The idea was to combine something from Blade Runner and 19th century old photos + a couple of shiny thingies like the robot arm you can see here so you won't have any doubts this thing is Sci-Fi :).

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:47 am

JK wrote:Hey.

Well i had to read a couple of things about SSS, tried to achieve that with a blend material before with no satisfying result. All things on the model took me like 2 weeks of reading before I even started. Light travels through a specular materiall with SSS - just had to tweak it a little bit - it's from the database, cant really remember the name right now. All windows 'exit portalled' ;).

Bout the mood. I started up with a fantasy scene - devastated building, shiny shrooms everywhere - generally staff u see when u take too much medicine of some sort(Alice in Wonderland - this movie is a best representative). Couldnt texture the shrooms right though, so I gave up after a week. The idea was to combine something from Blade Runner and 19th century old photos + a couple of shiny thingies like the robot arm you can see here so you won't have any doubts this thing is Sci-Fi :).
We must think quite similarly :)

JK

Post by JK » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am

A little update in case if some1 closed the topic before I get 0:00 on the forum clock ;). The final image is bakin' right now. Here's a noisy version. Added some things(like the shelf). Wanted to give image more junk, but i deleted it since I didnt have time to place it in the right order(organized chaos ;-) ). I made a criogenic chamber which I cant afford to render ;-) - gonna post it on the forum somewhere when this image is going to finish.

For the tech details - I changed the render metod to MLT - it really helped alot.

BTW - the guy on the left - he's the owner of the lab.

Cheers ;)
Attachments
test13_bidir.jpg

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 am

I think you have some more time still. It's still the 6th somewhere on this planet :)

JK

Post by JK » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:53 am

Ok I'll render the chamber :). The scene is ready but I'm doing the whole thing on a laptop so it takes a while - my HP gets crashes pretty often due to the memory dump or something. Damn I hate it. I'll try to update every time I get a new angle and the main topic isn't closed ;)

Cheers!

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Not going to have enough time to enter (pc downtime) but it was a nice idea :D
Attachments
1.jpg

156 posts