August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Discussion forum for the bi-monthly Indigo Competition.
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Post by Pibuz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:26 am

..yes I know.. You should probably give blendmaps a go..

Are you modeling in SketchUp too? I thought it was MAX! You're great! How did you do the musk!

SU fog gave me some problems after not having tested it since long time, I don't know if it works in the current version of SkIndigo. BTW there was a slider (near distance or far distance, I can't remember) which had to be set to 100% or 0%, and the other one was to be kept around 10% to max or min to get subtle fog in the scene..

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:38 am

No max here, I'm Sketchup all the way. I'm no 3D modeller so sketchup is about as complex as I can handle :D

In this case, main scene is obviously by Foxar (thanks!), chairs and chandeliers are from the 3D warehouse. The bushes in the foreground are mine, the result of my one and only foray into the material editor a long time ago...they turned out......ok ish (I uploaded it to the database anyway). Most textures are mine, other than the metal on the chandelier. Grass is from the Indigo materials database (courtesy of Tar-Gnik, thanks!). Env map is a low res free ones, I forget where from.

Now I think of it, 90% of my scene is by other people! :(

By musk, you mean the grass stuff on the floor? - its just a grass component scattered about with the sketchup fur plugin. You can get the grass material from the database.

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:25 pm

More WIPS. You can see what I mean about freehand cuts on a surface doing odd things to displacement maps of adjacent materials - see on the floor by the chairs, a curious lump. Theres something else I'm not sure about too, can;t put my finger on it though. I might see if I can add some standing water in somewhere on the floor. Or maybe that would be too much. I'll keep fiddling with it. Overall though, I'm more pleased with progress than I thought I would be.

I suppose I ought to do a higher res version maybe, but I'm not sure I have the time to render. These took 15hrs overnight, 19,500spp.

Funny how this has sucked me in considering I claimed not to have the time to enter....I MADE TIME, rarrrrrrgh!
IndigocompFINAL.jpg
IndigocompFINAL2.jpg
IndigocompFINAL3.jpg

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:08 pm

The second and third images seem to me more on-the-subject. And water on the floor sounds like a good idea to me! I've got to learn how to use the ivy generator for sketchup, it always got me problems.. :-/ and....19.000spp? I'm actually rendering an image since 14h or so, and I'm at...well...34.15 OOOOOOOOPS!

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:24 am

awsome wips here already...
I'm still excercising with material setup... hope you like it so far.

regards
Attachments
floortest_3_2.jpg
floortest_3.jpg
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:56 am

Floor is looking good. A little too saturated IMHO

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:43 am

Bosseye, I like the low saturation and low contrast version. It induces an higher focusing effort for the eye that matches the setup. Due to the kind of works going on it would be fair to cut into the arcades a bit !

@Mor4us balls up close ! Nothing personal, I love balls renders !

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:28 am

CTZn wrote:@Mor4us balls up close ! Nothing personal, I love balls renders !
I almost choked on my drink reading that.... anyway..

Bosseye, great stuff so far. There is almost an irony in the derelict environment and then the pristine chandelier in the middle. If that was intentional, then great idea! You could probably capitalise on that with some macros... - ahem - I think I have fuelled my fellow competitors enough...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 am

tar_gniK wrote:
CTZn wrote:@Mor4us balls up close ! Nothing personal, I love balls renders !
I almost choked on my drink reading that.... anyway..
The morale is: drink well before reading me, keep some for the aftershock ;D

Sorry about the rude animation, you should have read "spheres" instead !

vl_dm

Post by vl_dm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:25 pm

Hello,

How are you?
This is my wip with 40 000 spp now. I hope you will like it
Attachments
Morning.jpg

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 pm

Hmmm, latest WIP. The water has fireflies on, a consequence of Pure PT I suppose. Shame its the only method GPU rendering supports.

I might leave it running at a higher res over the weekend as biMLT no GPU assistance and hope it cleans up enough. For better or worse, that might have to be my final image, I have a busy week next week so won't get the time to tinker with it or render any more.

@Tar_Gnik: Ha, I wish I would say I was that smart, but I'm afraid the 'perfect' chandelier is only that way as its a stock model and I haven't got the skills to find, model or texture an imperfect version. Macro is a nice idea though, but I doubt the current model is of sufficient quality to show off an extreme close up. I suppose I could get a decent .3ds model and convert it for Sketchup. I might try a close up though, if it looks any good you get full credit ;)

@vl_dm - looks nice, colourful. I really like the glass texture and outside view, also the paper lanterns. I think the sheet on the bed is floating ever so slightly though...
IndigoComp5.jpg
Edit: Extreme close up.
IndigoCompClose.jpg

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 pm

vl_dm wrote:Hello,

How are you?
This is my wip with 40 000 spp now. I hope you will like it
whoa! 40.000spp!!!!! I'm stuck at 57.73! Hours of rendering? resolution? Number of light layers?
The idea of a morning rendering is cool, and the image atm looks...er..fresh!

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Are you on some crazy resolution Pibuz (as well as your scene being rather complex and beautiful)?

I'm running the higher resolution final image now, I'm done fiddling around. Res is 2500x1440, currently getting 248k sample, on 37spp after 8 minutes. Straight BiMLT, obviously no GPU. But then, my scene is really simple, I only have one ENV light source on 1 light layer, and only a few lightly phong materials.

Was there a minimum resolution requirement for the final image? I could probably go higher than what I have chosen if need be, I'm leaving it to run until Monday now so it will have around 70 hours to run which I would hope would be enough time to clean up the image at a mad resolution.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 pm

..I am trying to get the best image size/SPP rate, but it seems like I've been losing time these last two days. I was trying to render a 4500pxls image at SS2, no GPU, but it was slow. So I downsampled it to 1 and raised resolution to 8000. Maybe it's the 6 light layers.........

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:37 pm

Ho, maybe.

I'm having trouble with this displacement/bump map issue. Its definitely because of me trimming random shapes out of a flat plane, but there's no rhyme or reason to where it occurs on the texture. The only option seems to be removing the bump or displacement map from the affected texture, but then that ruins the texture.

Guess I'll just have to live with it. Maybe I can sort some of it out in post pro.

156 posts