Indigo in Wings 3d

Announcements, information, requests and support regarding other exporters and general/new exporters
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
tungee

Indigo in Wings 3d

Post by tungee » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:09 am

I modell in wings 3d, it is an amazing modelling programm for free!
Wings has UV-Tools and some very cool mesh-manipulate tools.
Yafray for example is integrated in wings very well; all features(sss, blurry reflections etc...) are directly acessible.
yafray usese xml like Indigo. would nt be nice if indigo is integrated in wings?
It would be an Killer combi,and this for free!
there is an poll for feature reqeust in wings forum.

Optigon

Wings and Indigo

Post by Optigon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 am

Hello,
I would like to make an Indigo exporter for Wings. As Tungee has pointed out, wings already uses .xml for the yafray exporter so there is every possibility that this can work :)
I have a question though: Is there a list available of all the xml scene descriptors? I've look around the site and haven't found a definitive list of all the features as they appear in .xml. Also, if there are suggested parameters for each setting that would be of great help as well :)
Of course I noticed that your fac is still being updated. Would a list as I have requested be included there once it is complete?
And in case a list is not really possible to provide, how should I go about deciphering all the xml tags?
Thanks, Optigon.

tungee

Wings support

Post by tungee » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:29 am

Hi Optigon,
first of all,It is cool that you want to write an exporter for wings3d.
I opened a thread for indigo in the wings Forum:

http://p212.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmira ... 1535.topic

There is also a direct link to the scene description of indigo:

www.indigorenderer.com/drupal/?q=node/4

Im not a programmer,but if you want have support for integration in wings,
i can assist you.

Ps: Scorpius wants also start to write a plugin for Wings ; coalition?
:)

Optigon

Wings and Indigo

Post by Optigon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:46 am

Hi Tungee,
That's good that Scorpius is willing to help.
I saw your post a while back on the Wings forum :) After searching around here I can see why you think it would be a good match.
I checked that link the other day and it is helpful. Many of the features, as they appear in the xml, which is what I'll need, are not listed on that page. If you look more closely at the page it gives examples, but not all possible xml scene info :) Things seem to be changing quite a bit between 0.5 and the latest 0.6- the transparent switch is gone for instance :)
To make a gui that supports all of the options I need a list of them hopfully with a list of suggested parameters. That would really help.
Hopefully someone can give me a hint ;)

tungee

Post by tungee » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:33 pm

Hi optigon,would some xml Help?.
It would contain all necessary informations.

Optigon

Wings and Indigo

Post by Optigon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:21 am

That would be perfect. PM me on the Wings Forum and I'll give you an address to send your xml files.
Just so you know, I'm not promising anything :)
I'm pretty new at coding, so this may take some time. The yafray code is over 3000 lines! Just to give you an idea, clean dissolve was maybe 8 lines.
Of course a lot of this coding will be repetative, so once I've analyzed it the amount of lines won't matter. Plus I can get help. The wings devs are great, when it comes to programming help:)

But the first thing is to look at what I'm goin for, so those xml's will help.
Later, Optigon.

tungee

Post by tungee » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:58 am

Good night,Optigon.
Will send you the xml`s on Saturday Night.
Im busy with my geminis now.
:)
Sorry for the delay!

tungee

Xml Files plus concept

Post by tungee » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:58 am

Hi optigon,
I made 5 example xml-files with all possible combinations.
What i must do now are two hdr examples (spherical and lat long maps).

I also made a wings to indigo plugin concept (look into the jpeg-file).
Perhaps this could help you a little bit -)

It would be also cool, if we could open a thread in the indigo or wings forum for the development.

Here is the link for the zip Archive:

http://rapidshare.de/files/34917835/Xml ... t.zip.html

greeting,tungee

Optigon

xml

Post by Optigon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:15 pm

Hi Tungee,

That's great that you be able to get those to me :) Maybe you could send your concept to me as well or try uploading it again because when I download it, the file is only 11kb and corrupted.

I tried twice with no luck:(

I don't think a dev thread is absolutely necessary as we've got one going here:) I'm still sifting through the code and need to look at those xml's to get a better idea of the actual task.

I want to see your concept because as of this moment I was simply going to implement it similar to the way Yafray is already integrated into Wings. Also my only experience with Indigo is via the sample xmls that come with the engine, so your experience is valuable to me.

Later, Optigon.

tungee

Upload it again

Post by tungee » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:12 pm

Hi optigon
here is the new adress.
the concept is like yafray ones,its agood solution.

http://www.hemenpaylas.com/download/171 ... o.jpg.html
http://www.hemenpaylas.com/download/171 ... t.zip.html
Greeets,tungee

Optigon

Post by Optigon » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:47 am

I've taken a look at your concept pieces and they look good. That's what I had in mind for the gui and it really helps that you organized the information so nicely.

So transparency isn't a universal quality? Can you have, for instance, transparent NKdata materials?

In 0.6, transparency as an xml tag has been removed and one only sets the IOR, if I understand correctly. Does that mean that the IOR automatically assumes transparency and that there exists redundancy here? If IOR is zero is the object opaque?

It looks like you've put a lot of thought into your design, so I'll assume it's set up correctly. Review your design and if you find any conflicts post them here or something. If I have trouble implementing something I'll seek help and post here or something.

Object to area light would be cool for wings as a plugin and not just a indigo option.

I haven't really used Indigo so I'll trust that this set up is good and work on this as time allows.

Later, Optigon.

tungee

Post by tungee » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:17 am

good night optigon!
Transparent NKdata is not supported yet.
"In 0.6, transparency as an xml tag has been removed and one only sets the IOR" isnt correct.it is an dielectric shader and transperency is supported just here.
allowed ior is 1 and above
A lot of stuff is disabled in 0.6.
Object to area light is already implemented natively in wings :lol:
sorry for the ultra short replies!a little bit drunken
:oops:

ps : a thread in the wings forum,would possible involve more coders to help us .

Optigon

Post by Optigon » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:51 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me :oops:
"Object to area light is already implemented natively in wings" right you are:)
"ps : a thread in the wings forum,would possible involve more coders to help us ." did you not already ask? You could place links to your concept and this thread in the 'indigo thread' that already exists on the wings forum. I think I can do this though, and I can get help if need be :wink:
Just need some time.

Chow.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Any progress on this? I tried to learn blender but I gave up. Wings 3D is the best modeler out there.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1