XSI2Indigo 1.0b (built 20070102)

Announcements, information, requests and support regarding other exporters and general/new exporters
rgigante

XSI2Indigo 1.0b (built 20070102)

Post by rgigante » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:04 am

Hi guys,

i'm proud (i hope... ;) ) to announce XSI2Indigo 1.0 available in the download section.

Thanks everybody for your contribution.

C&C welcomed to fulfill the beta process and release the final built.

Best regards, Riccardo.

debris

Post by debris » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:05 am

:D :D :D

Thank you very much!!! I just installed it and at first sight everything is running smoothly under XSI v6!!
I hope I find enough time during the next days to test it extensively!!

Great and so well integrated!

HaloAnimator

Trying to get Indigo running

Post by HaloAnimator » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:37 pm

Hello, I love the new renderer but I am trying to install it and add the environment variable that you mention in the release notes.... is there a way to quickly add it...?

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:23 pm

@HaloAnimator: just go to "My Computer" -> "Properties" -> "Advanced" and press the button "Environment Variables" then simply add all the envs you need;

@Debris: waitin for your suggestions;

Regards, Riccardo.

HaloAnimator

Post by HaloAnimator » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:55 am

oh okay cool....i did get the XSItoIndigo.dll installed last night, but now trying to find the variable at add...especially the one with the ini file.

debris

Post by debris » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:01 am

Working great so far (OK didn't have any time for deeper investigation), but one thing that I'd change is, that it tries to export "Scene Material", which is the default material in any XSI scene (no one uses it though ;) ) and throws a warning because it has no IndigoMaterial property assigned. It would be best to just ignore unused materials.

And I always get a "No bump texture connected to "Material"" when trying to export a material that obviously has a texture connected to its bump vector input.

I'm using version v6 of XSI, while I guess you developed it for v5. So maybe I'm reporting some "false positives" here. For example, in XSI v6 the Phong shader doesn't have a Bump input anymore, but I guess that's where XSI2INDIGO awaits a bumpmap to be plugged in?!

crsrma

Post by crsrma » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:26 pm

The only thing I'm really missing is that infinite ground plane feature. This is all around sweet no matter, I hadn't encountered any crashes/bugs with it all afternoon & everything works like it says on the tin. ;)

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:53 pm

@crsrma: ok, i'll put in the feature list the infinite ground plane;

@debris: I'll try to implement the material-used check to avoid unused materials to be exported (i completely agree!). Refering to the second issue, i hope today to dl XSI 6.0...(hoping my lic code works already with 6.0) then i investigate in-depth why X2I doesn't found the bump (but i think it's due to a different shader coding between 5.11 and 6.0 as you correctly supposed).

Thanks again for feedbacks.
Riccardo.

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:05 am

@debris: after getting hands on XSI6.0, although i've found slower performance (expecially refreshing the gui) with X2I, i've found the problem u mentioned with bump map.
To succesfully export a bump map, you can basically choose two method:
1) activate the bump option in the image shader connected to the diffuse port;
2) use a bump generator shader as input for the bump port of the surface shader. This second method let u to use a different texture for the bump channel respect the one used in the diffuse channel.

Please feel free to contact me for further infos because without a manual isn't as easy as it should to explain material handling.

PS. Unused material has been implemented, to come in the next built

Regards, Riccardo.

debris

Post by debris » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:48 am

Sweet! :) Thanks for your support!

MR_aRt

Installation

Post by MR_aRt » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:19 am

where do I put the ini and the dll files. Can you give a example of how it would be done.

Thanks in advance

jacquesBroquard

Post by jacquesBroquard » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:24 am

Hi,
I recently was made aware of Indigo from a posting at XSIbase, this looks very interesting, and as a user of XSI, am happy to hear that there is support for this type of spectral rendering. Maxwell has not yet released a plugin for XSI, and it's certainly not free.

As a newcomer to Indigo, would anyone care to share any thoughts, tips or tricks about how to get the most out of Indigo, straight out of the gate?

Currently, I am awaiting the realease of the 64bit XSI version, which from what I understand will be released at the end of the beta stage.

Concerning installing the .dll, No problem, If the plugin is supplied as a .xsiaddon then just drag the .xsiaddon file over your workspace. If it is supplied as spdl and dll files then make sure you put both of these files in the same folder. In XSI open the Plugin Manager and choose the SPDL's tab. Then click install and navigate to the spdl file.

Best,
Jacques

crsrma

Re: Installation

Post by crsrma » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:05 am

MR_aRt wrote:where do I put the ini and the dll files. Can you give a example of how it would be done.

Thanks in advance
I just made an XSI2Indigo folder in the Addons folder inside the C:\users directory, put all the files in there & setup environment variables as instructed in the ReadMe.txt file. Just give the PREREQUISITES section a glance.

As for creating those environment variables, rgigante made a post about it earlier.

Also, you'll need to edit your xsi2indigo.ini file so those directory paths point to where you installed indigo - the examples in that file should give you a hint about what it wants. :)

MR_aRt

Installation guide

Post by MR_aRt » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:49 am

rgigante can you add this add this vital information to the zip file or else you will have a lot of newcomers like me asking how to setup the enviroment settings. First I thought I had to make the environment setting in XSI. The way it was written it made me think that.

Thanks in Advance for the change.
MR aRt

MR_aRt

Re: Installation

Post by MR_aRt » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:15 pm

crsrma wrote:
MR_aRt wrote:where do I put the ini and the dll files. Can you give a example of how it would be done.

Thanks in advance
I just made an XSI2Indigo folder in the Addons folder inside the C:\users directory, put all the files in there & setup environment variables as instructed in the ReadMe.txt file. Just give the PREREQUISITES section a glance.

As for creating those environment variables, rgigante made a post about it earlier.

Also, you'll need to edit your xsi2indigo.ini file so those directory paths point to where you installed indigo - the examples in that file should give you a hint about what it wants. :)

Thanks for the reply

24 posts