XSI2Indigo 1.0b (built 20070102)

Announcements, information, requests and support regarding other exporters and general/new exporters
MR_aRt

XSI2Indigo

Post by MR_aRt » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 pm

When I apply the material helper to simple cube it says "XSI2Indigo enviroment not set" I am working with XSI 6. I have put both the XSI2indigo.ini & XSI2indigo.dll in the "c:\xsi2indigo" directory. in the enviroment I have two variables.

Variable Value
XSI_PLUGIN C:\xsi2indigo\
XSI2INDIGO C:\xsi2indigo\

In the .ini file i have change the path:

----XSI2Indigo ini file----

"IndigoInstallationPath" "c:\indigo"
"IndigoNKDataPath" "c:\indigo\nkdata"

I have .NET framework 2.0 Installed.

The thing is as soon as I choose the material helper it gives a message "XSI2Indigo enviroment not set". If i choose the helper without having an object selected I get a message left underneath saying "Pick session" when I select an object it become selected but the mouse icon stays the same "as a pick object icon"

What am I doing wrong and what are the step by steps must I do to apply a material.

Can Someone explain it step by step and leave no detail out.

Thanks in advance.
P.S Thanks rgigante for the plugin for XSI.

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:06 am

@mr_art: set the values for your varilables without the final "\". A detailed post about assigning materials is coming in the very next time. Please be patient.

@Debris: i posted a wrong msg directed to you regarding the bump error.
after getting hands on XSI6.0, although i've found slower performance (expecially refreshing the gui) with X2I, i've found the problem u mentioned with bump map.
The fact is that after tested under 6.0 (at the mom i can't do anymore test due to a license problem) i've NOT found the issue u mentioned. As said, i'll post deeper infos on mat attribution.

Best regards, Riccardo.

MR_aRt

Post by MR_aRt » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:36 am

rgigante wrote:@mr_art: set the values for your varilables without the final "". A detailed post about assigning materials is coming in the very next time. Please be patient.

after getting hands on XSI6.0, although i've found slower performance (expecially refreshing the gui) with X2I, i've found the problem u mentioned with bump map.
The fact is that after tested under 6.0 (at the mom i can't do anymore test due to a license problem) i've NOT found the issue u mentioned. As said, i'll post deeper infos on mat attribution.

Best regards, Riccardo.
Hello rgigante,

Thanks for the info. I will also try to document my errors and findings so detailed possible so I can also help other new comers. thanks for the quick reply. and I am looking forward to your material assignment guide.

MR aRt

MR_aRt

Enviroment error

Post by MR_aRt » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:57 am

rgigante wrote:@mr_art: set the values for your varilables without the final "". A detailed post about assigning materials is coming in the very next time. Please be patient.

Best regards, Riccardo.
Hello Rgigante,
After making the changes you said I still get the error Enviroment variable "XSI2INDIGO" not set

I would also like to mention that I add the variable to user variable and not by the System varialbles.
Hope this sheds more light on the situation. (excuse the pun)

Kind regards,
MR aRt

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:57 am

Hi all,

being aware of all the difficulties to use the plugin due to the lack of documentation, u can find http://primeupload.com/file/31459/XSI2I ... J.zip.html a simple XSI scene ready to be exported with XSI2Indigo and rendered with Indigo 0.6.
Moreover, due to alot of rumors related to the environment settings to be performed in order to correctly use XSI2Indigo, follows below a step-by-step note on how to procede from the very beginning to the succesfully scene export.

1) Unzip the XSI2Indigo archive in the directory you would like to. Four files should appear in the folder: Readme.txt, License.txt, xsi2indigo.dll,xsi2indigo.ini.

2) Set the "XSI2INDIGO" environment variable
a) Go to "Start"-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Advanced
e) click on "Environment Variables"
f) on System variables press "New"
g) on Variable Name set "XSI2INDIGO" (without apex)
h) on Variable Value set the full path to XSI2Indigo folder without the final "\" (e.g. c:\Applications\XSI2Indigo)

3) Set XSI_PLUGINS environment variable (!OPTIONAL! if XSI2Indigo.dll is in the default XSI plugin directory e.g. c:\Softimage\XSI_5.11_Foundation\Application\Plugins)
a) repeat all the step pointed at 2 from "a" to "f"
b) on Variable Name set "XSI_PLUGINS" (without apex)
c) on Variable Value set (or add) the full path to XSI2Indigo folder without the final "\" (e.g. c:\Applications\XSI2Indigo)

4) open with a text editor the xsi2indigo.ini and edit the two lines present to correctly point to the Indigo's directory.

5) Launch XSI. As XSI starts a XSI2Indigo menu item should appear in the top menu. If it doesn't probably there's something wrong with XSI_PLUGINS variable. Check it and restart XSI. Otherwise, from XSI,go to File-> Plug-in Manager. Go to "Plug-in" tab, press "Load" and locate the folder you've put XSI2Indigo.dll.

6) Create a Polymesh Sphere (36x36 subds)

7) From XSI open an "Explorer" view and switch to materials.

8) From XSI2Indigo menu select "Material Helper". It prompts for selecting a material or a cluster. Please select the default Scene_Material inside the explorer view opened before. A Custom property should be opened. Please select "Use NK". If everything is ok, on the right u could select a list of all the NK-data presets that XSI2Indigo retrieves from Indigo/NKdata directory. Select "Ag" from the list

9) From the "Explorer" panel switch to scene items and expand the camera_root node.

10) From XSI2Indigo menu select "Camera Helper". It prompts for a camera. Please select the "Camera" node (not Camera_root neither Camera_Interest).
A custom property should open with all the xsi2indigo camera presets.

11) From XSI2Indigo menu select "Expèort scene". From the "General" tab, fill the "Scene Filename" field with a .xml file (eg c:\temp\test.xml) and select the camera from the "output camera" section. In the "Environment" tab select as "Type" "Physical Skylight" and from the "Physical Skylight Parameters" select the infinite light created by default in your scene.

12) Go back to "General" tab and press "Export to XML"

13) Open a windows command prompt and go to Indigo directory. Render the scene launching the following command: "indigo c:\temp\test.xml". An Indigo command prompt and render window should appear.

Hoping this step-by-step will help please keep bringing feedback.

Best regards, Riccardo.

VGer

Post by VGer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:22 am

how correctly to adjust the export of "uv" and "textures" in "indigo" from XSI?

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:20 am

Hi VGer,

please add a texture image in the diffuse channel of your material and enable the texture in the Indigo Material property. Than apply a UV Helper to the geometry on which u previously defined your texture support. Then from the UV helper pull-down select for the color (or bump or specular) the UV set u want to export.

I hope in the very next release of XSI2Indigo to remove such a procedure to define UV coords.

Best regards, Riccardo.

claudio

Post by claudio » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Any body kno wwhy I cant download the indigo exporter for xsi?

I get an error saying : You must login and be authorized to access documents.

But I am logged in ... I can downlaod the maya one just not the xsi one.

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:03 am

Hi Claudio,

sorry for the big delay, did u solved?

Regards, Riccardo.

24 posts