Is there an exporter for Maya5 ?

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Bliz

Is there an exporter for Maya5 ?

Post by Bliz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:06 am

Hi Guys,
I know Maya 5 is an old version but it's the version I own (and can't afford to upgrade).

Will I be able install mti etc. on maya 5? (I'm not on my workstation at the moment which has maya5 installed otherwise I'd try it myself)

Also, reading this maya subforum, it's a bit confsing to me, is there just one maya exporter (mayatoindigo) that needs installing or is there a material editing gui as well? (some people seem to refer to the exporter by different names)

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,
Bliz::..

http://www.bliz.co.uk

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:41 pm

Welcome Bliz !

MtI was essentially rewritten well after Maya 6 was out, so it was not tested on Maya 5, not that I know. The python plugin will not work, that's for sure, but you still might use Maya materials. Could possibly work.

The material editor is to be included with the exporter in a future release, but can be downloaded in a beta version. As far as Maya is concerned there is MtI or MayatoIndigo wich are two names for the same exporter. I was prefering "Maydigo"... anyway.

Amazing reel btw !

Bliz

Post by Bliz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks for the comment about the reel CTZn.

All is not lost if I can't export from maya[5] directly. I'm slowly teaching myself Blender so if I can pass obj files back and forth between blender and maya, I can use blendigo.

Hellstorm

Post by Hellstorm » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Yeah. As far as they have not changed essential stuff to MEL, there's a good chance that at least the exporter will work. Just install MtI without the plugin and use the maya blinn, lambert and phong nodes.

I'm sure I'll find my Maya 5 somewhere on the attic or cellar, but I don't have time to test it.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1