How to install and set up MtI

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
dougal2
Developer

How to install and set up MtI

Post by dougal2 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 am

You will need a copy of Indigo and MtI with matching version numbers.

For info on where to put the files, and what you need to edit, I made some tutorial videos on how to set it up properly:
#1 http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=3123
#2 http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=3141

There are a couple more videos that start to explain a little about the Maya->MtI->Indigo workflow. They can be found in the Tutorials forum.

The videos were made before I started work on the python shader plugin. This plugin allows you to specify indigo materials on objects directly within Maya, as the materials that Maya has and those that Indigo has are quite different. Later versions of MtI rely on using the shader node for some of the features found in recent versions of Indigo.
The python shader plugin will only work with Maya 8.5 and above.

Installation instructions:
a) install MtI first, as described above.
b) copy the indigoShader folder and it's contents to your scripts directory (%MyScriptPath%)
c) edit your Maya.env and add the following:

Code: Select all

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = %MyScriptPath%/indigoShader
or amend your existing MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH to include the above path. %MyScriptPath% should have already been defined when you installed MtI.
d) Launch Maya, open the Plug-in Manager (Window menu -> Settings/Preferences)
e) Click the browse button and find indigoShader.py in your user scripts/indigoShader folder
(EDIT: step (e) might not be necessary. indigoShader.py should already be in the list)
f) Once loaded, choose Auto-load.

Now you can assign an "Indigo Shader" to an object and have direct control over the proper indigo parameters for materials.

NB2: The shader plugin doesn't do any real shading within Maya or MR, Maya will render a flat colour and MR renders black iirc.

Have fun :)
Last edited by dougal2 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:03 am

I guess most of the install instructions are now obsolete because of the installers.

I'll leave this here though as it serves as a reference to tell you what the installer actually does ;)

Additionally, the part about setting paths and how to use the thing is still relevant.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1