Maya Global Support

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:08 am

nice :)
As I said, I didn't get it at all ^^

Yeah, DaveC teached me some things, too. Interestingly, although my own skills aren't that good, I hardly ever don't manage to teach people one new thing xD
So, I already showed him two or three things. :)

Hum, if that's going to take longer, maybe, we should switch to an OT-thread.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:37 am

Hum, if that's going to take longer, maybe, we should switch to an OT-thread.
no harm, since you are talking about software learning :)

I can't tell much about Maya learning curve, I just wanted that soft and no other (first real contact with 2.5, learned it on 3.0), I had some contacts with 3dsMax before but I didn't like it much, althought I was happy to use a real 3d app then.

Recently I bought a Maya license, I told myself that was a long period investment: covers pretty much all topics of 3d (and 2d, that's not much known but there is a painting system since v2 (paint effects)), plus it is a development environment: the command "maya -nogui" will just launch a dos command; that is Maya, a script parser.

So I love Maya for it's potential, quite pointless I'd say ^^ but now my philosophy has changed, if a soft has something I'm interested in there is no steppy learning curve to throttle me :twisted:
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:45 am

The only thing I will say is don't give up too early. I was a blender user for about 5 years before I found Maya, and I never really got that deep into blender - well, to be honest blender isn't that deep at all.

After about 2 weeks of figuring out the Maya UI and some of the extra stuff in there (curves/NURBS etc) I felt actually more comfortable with Maya than blender. Blender is really very quirky.

Now, a couple of months on, I'm doing stuff in Maya that just simply isn't possible in blender. I particularly love the whole building-with-history concept and it's character animation capabilities. (oh, and I also _love_ MEL script :) )

I'm no genius though, I didn't learn this without references. Get a couple of tutorial vids from eg, lynda.com - they are very very good and will teach you in a way that is very easy to follow.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:41 am

CTZn
Got my digital-tutors "Introduction to Modeling in Maya" today, so please stay tuned for "Indigo Knife - Revisited"! ( http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=2706 )

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 am

so please stay tuned
You don't even have to ask me, I'm kinda wired ;)
obsolete asset

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:41 am

How do you make mesh emitters in Maya? I would like to recreate StompinTom's simple studio setup: http://imageigloo.com/images/8515cup&plate2.jpg

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:35 pm

For a mesh emitter in Maya, simply set the incandescence value to be not black.
This works for any of lambert/phong/blinn/phongE material types.

Phr0stByte

Post by Phr0stByte » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:46 am

Know of a good UV mapping tut somewhere?

38 posts