Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Thanks CTZn, I'll have a go now.

edit: seems to work OK so far.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:42 am

Well, these additions are mostly "cosmetical" updates, thank you for your feedback, and thanks to the other developers who allowed me to learn MEL because Indigo is almost all I'm interested in recently. Again Dougal, feel free to ask whatever you want concerning Maya, maybe create a new thread if it's not specifically MtI related. What's cool with your presence here is that as a "basic" user (would you code MEL/Python ?) you will help devs in prioritarizing features integration. And you know Indigo way better than me anyway, so boss what's next to do ?

I have some doubts for sun in Z up space, I keeped using Y up all the time so it's untested. Lots of todo ideas (and still lots to do to match Indigo's functionality), but no deadline ahead as well.

Are you devs using a SVN repository ?
Er, we need to talk ! Anyway next thing I may implement could be a "createExitPortal" based on "makeMtiInstances", as the exporter already recognize them. I have a friend who may help on rotation matrices, well actually he talked about giving to me a working pseudocode, wich is just a fine thing. If you've got the trick gimme gimme ! Oh, and for the numver (8.5 as in between 8tx and 9tx) it's a suggestion, not a persistent print.

Sorry for the artistic nature of my english but can you tell that art is incorrect ? ;P

Edit: Instances: I just realized that in some cases you don't want the original mesh to be visible, only it's instances. At first glance and after having thought about display layers, I found these could be very usefull to manage complex scenes, got to think about again. For now if you don't want the original shape to show up in render, manually remove or comment out its <model> declaration.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 am

i can confirm it appears to be working with Maya 2008 + indigo 09t8 on XP 32bit. :)

can we get the default up axis to be Y ? or is Z somehow better? Why am I not using Z up? Y appears to be Maya's default.
Attachments
im1192572806.jpg
im1192572806.jpg (108.45 KiB) Viewed 3035 times

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:02 am

I'm working on mtiGen.mel to get the "Render Scene Directly" working.
I think I've fixed it. :)

meshlights appear broken still.

I'll have a scan over the rest of the code - possibly tidy up in places ;)
and of course, I'll post a working version at some point.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:21 pm

I'll test meshlights tomorrow, that's odd if they are effectively broken. Okay. Can you use a svn rep ? I have no clue on how to... there is one available I think into this site (dunno really what that means tho), I just know it is to manage different versions and we may need that quick.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:41 pm

i think a full SVN setup may be a bit over the top given the number of developers here (only 2 or 3) - just posting zips of updated files in threads here ought to suffice.

edit: just as an exercise (as I enjoy this kind of thing) I'm going to have a go at setting up an SVN on my own server anyway ;)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:25 pm

Okay, so every developer will be entitled to integrate it's own code into the latest working version of MtI, so it doesn't turn into a mess with Xn versions. Setting up the svn is overhelming for me :)

Good news: meshlights are not broken ! Well, partially not, I'll have to check the "correction" I did on BK script about that cause whatever I do gain stays at 1. Workflow:

- get a material, usually it had to be Lambert but looks to work with other ones as well now, for clarity you may want to stick with one mat type to keep coherent (I'll stick with Lambert).

- Click the color box facing the Incadescence attribute of the shader. The color chooser pops up.

- Switch fro HSV to RGB (not sure if that's necessary), then R will be the temperature, and gain is supposed to be one of G or B but it sticked at 1 anyway for me, gotta check that again...
Last edited by CTZn on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:43 pm

it's all there and ready to go:
https://svn.hamsterfight.co.uk/

I'll commit my latest version (which is based on your current version) when I get home, and we'll start from there.

also, I'm going to need some practice at working out how best to use SVN - i've not really used it much before, especially as an admin.

edit: server now allows anonymous checkout of https://svn.hamsterfight.co.uk/svn-mti
PM me for permission to commit

23 posts