MtI 2.x beta 2

Post by CTZn » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Last update: 10 Nov 2010 21:02

Hit the link in my signature !
Initial post begin:

Hot release

Maya to Indigo 2.x beta 2
this link is updated upon each release as well as the one in my signature

I recommend that you do most if not all of the Indigo related tweaks in Maya with the Indigo Editor (aka Indigo Palette).

- animation
| batch only (console)
| exports and/or renders the animation range

- expanded navigation
| one can traverse almost the full "Indigo graph" back and forth without the Hyper~ editors in sight.
| now uses the left mouse button

- layeredShader's reviewed
| preserved null in indigoShader to allow manual blending of null material
| stacked mat's transparencies exposed at once

- faster palette drawing
| plus the nasty option to freeze the AE :twisted:

- fancy interactive errors !
| try to lay a layered shader into another, but don't show it to the Palette or else

- casual fixes

Modified: MtI_quick_start.txt
Modified: mti_DG.mel
Modified: mti_EDI.mel
Modified: mti_GEN_.mel
Modified: mti_Gen.mel
Modified: mti_Q.mel
Modified: mti_UI.mel
Adding: render_indigoShader.xpm
Adding: render_spectrumNode.xpm
Adding: render_textFieldNode.xpm
obsolete asset

CTZn

Re: MtI 2.x beta 2

Post by CTZn » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Hotfix for a hot release ! Stupid developer always makes last minute hot mistakes :mrgreen:

Please redownload the file.

- Added marking menu under the palette's target name, allowing to actually select the edited object.

Note: because of the navigation feature, the displayed node is not always the one selected.

obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:40 am

Were can I find advance settings for rendering options and MLT :?:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:06 am

Code: Select all

updateAE mti_settings;
There will be an advanced tab for these settings. The priority has raised since you mentioned it !

Updated beta 2 link:

- much stronger IGM linking through parsing.
Selecting meshes prior to link to an IGM is now optional. Currently MtI will fail in parsing ISL code making use of "less/greater than" signs (<, >). I'll use the mandelbrot shader to debug this. Otherwise, errors should be handled by the Indigo Editor (aka Palette).

- better UI for shaders holding XML code in their notes
at the cost of navigation for these nodes. Maya Layouts are wild animals.

- better palette menu code and smoother Editor display
edit: hmm not really. Display is just faster/nicer on older Maya versions :/

- added MtI menu items: mass tagging (meshes, materials).
For big scenes wich weren't yet rendered with Indigo. Allows to add MtI tags to the selected forementioned node types, wich can then be massively modified with the Attribute Spread Sheet.

Adding: mti_IGM.mel
Modified: MtI_quick_start.txt
Modified: mti_CHK_self.mel
Modified: mti_EM.mel
Modified: mti_GEN_.mel
Modified: mti_MISC.mel
Modified: mti_Q.mel
Modified: mti_addAttr.mel
Modified: mti_xml.mel
Modified: mti_installation.mel
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I have finished camera motion blur, object motion blur is next on list. I'll release this as a 2.x beta 3 along with an optimised mesh writing process for animation.

I'd like MtI users to get involved more into this forum. Constructive criticism is as much wanted as kind words, as well as beautifull renders:)
obsolete asset

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:45 am

Yeah thanks CTZn! I'll try to use it for my next project, instead of exporting stuff to maxigo :roll:
Any chance to have some kind of one click .exe installer at some point?
Those manual updates are kinda fastidious

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:31 am

Thanks for your post Lemo, it is much appreciated. I wouldn't care this much about users feedback if I was a profesional coder, but I am somehow needing your guidance.

Are you using the installation script ? It has proven to work on Windows at least, all you have to do is extract the MtI archive content on disk and browse from the Script Editor (Source Script) to mti_installation.mel; that should do the install. It is supposed to save you the hassle of manual installs, but of course at some point there should be an exe installer. I suppose, when users will tell me that MtI is stable enough, as I wouldn't dare myself.

Wich points do you prefer in Maxigo/another exporter ? Wich do you dislike the more in MtI ?

These questions are open for everyone. In general, don't wait for me to do what you expect with MtI if you didn't tell me in the first place. Your posts are affecting the developement priority on the features you mention; MtI users have this step back quality I need to make it better.
obsolete asset

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:04 pm

I agree that the install process is easier with the new script, but Maya still has to be launched twice, and I suppose I'll have to check the manual again at each update to remember the "source script" thingie...
The mel is a good point indeed for cross-platform issues, but if you can add later an installer for each platform, that's even better :)

Concerning this beta 2, I can see that you included SreckoM icons in the zip file, but I still have the old ones apparently... are those only for Maya 2011?
Concerning Maxigo, I really like the material explorer for example, where you can choose from presets, or connect to the online database, with indigo preview and stuff.
Also in that exporter, every parameter (including camera and other things) is accessible in a single window, which is probably faster to find for global tweaking, than hidden into "extra attributes" of each element.

I need to do some testing now, and I'll tell you more about that in a few days :wink:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:20 pm

I got your points, thank you.

Well, the current installer script may be refined in a way to initialize MtI on the fly upon installation/update, it is certainly just a trivial installer for now. Until we get these executables running, I'll update less than every two days !

Yes, the new icons set is for Maya 2011 only as I didn't convert/rescale them yet. png's with alpha are only supported in the new Qt GUI afaik. Also I assumed that a brighter set would fit pre-2011 UI's better but maybe is this not true. It's not a very classy set I had I admit.

suvakas has certainly done a great job with Maxigo, but I don't remember that I've seen a video of this explorer thingy. Too bad.

The Indigo Editor (aka Indigo Palette, old name) is there to expose extra attributes wich are not for user access by themselves. As a matter of fact the Indigo Shader plugin allows to generate a dedicated sheet for the Attribute Editor, but the IE allows a much more continuous workflow when setting Indigo related options in the supported Maya realm.

I recommend practice on the Indigo Editor, and I expect critics on this centric item. It's this, or you precisely do dig into the extra attributes section of the AE, loosing all form of a layout.

You need the Indigo Editor, or I'm missing something :D I am not saying that it can not be improved, all the contrary...

how exactly ? < rethorical question

Freezing the AE has been improved for the next release, effectively unchecking the "Auto Load Selected Attributes" menu item. It may be a good idea to introduce an IE/AE toggle, freezing one or the other.

On a side note: whatever I'm saying, you are welcome to argue or give a thought.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 am

Added object motion blur for the beta 3.

Now to write still meshes only once for animation (or anything optimal)) !
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:31 am

The installer seems not to work for Maya 2010 Windows, sorry if you bumped into this... hey, I didn't make Maya 2010 :/

I'll update the beta 2 later today, haven't done "smart mesh writing on animation" though. Following the forum pace then, I'll take some time to do some images myself.
obsolete asset

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:49 am

The installer worked just fine for me with Maya 2010
I'll post some stuff in the work in progress section as well :wink:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:40 am

Oh, deux bonnes nouvelles :)

Updated MtI beta 2:

Code: Select all

- motion blur (keyframed objects and cameras)
- MtI windows closing, and better overall behaviour on new scene
- freeze consistency for the Editor and AE. Reducing the IE freezes it.
- fixed sporadic absence of the presets menu of the IE (Indigo Editor)
- Presets menu's back in Options window
- added an Advanced tab in Options window
- texro/uexro outputs to /renders folder
- added transmittance layer to glossy specular
- renamed absorbtion for clarity
	| - However it's weirdo-conceptual (transparency color and density)
	| - Code was ok, had to check after user report
- placeNdTexture nodes are not managed anymore by the IE (this was a bug)
- fixed MM behaviours on collapsable layouts for connected attribute (disconnect/delete sub network)
[/size]
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:08 pm

You are really into this CTZn, nice to see your exporter develop so fast, keep up the good work ;)
polygonmanufaktur.de

Lemo

Post by Lemo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:07 am

Yeah these presets can be quite useful :)
Btw maybe you should leave 1.0 as scale modifier by default instead of 0.001 or something
I didn't know why everything was blurred the first time :p

138 posts